Race Support

Options
This weekend in the Maine Marathon and I want to go and cheer on the runners.
I don't know anyone running it but there have been signs up for about two weeks about traffic disruptions along some of my running paths (so my 15k training run will be taking place early and in a different place).

I want to make a sign or two for the runners.
I'd like to be something clever/cheerful but not overdone like "Worst Parade Ever", "Run Forrest Run", or "There's beer at the end" (that last one I've seen for mud races).
Suggestions?

Replies

• lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't know how motivating it is, but the one I will always remember and made me laugh the most was "Smile if you're not wearing underwear" :laugh:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm a nerd, so whatever mile mark you're at, do the math for how much of their registration fee they've run so far. Say something like they have like, $32.85 left to run.

Someone snapped a picture at a race over the weekend (not sure where) that said something like "thanks for contributing to our study about sudden cardiac arrest." Don't do that.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I like that underwear one!
    And the math one, I'm a nerd too Doug lol

That other one just seems odd to me so I def won't do that
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites said "You're awesome, random stranger!" That one made me smile, and the guy holding it got a high five. :smile:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I liked " My legs are tired from standing here holding this sign".
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Ooo i like both of those too!!

Good thing poster board is double sided!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    One thing I just love are all the downtown hipsters. No signs, but they are usually near the curb wearing bathrobes, sipping coffee and smoking cigarettes. Bonus points if they put the couch out with a sign that says "free sits"
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    People coming out to support is always welcome! Only thing that I do find mildly irritating is 'Nearly There!' when I'm not even half way - it just reminds me of how far I have to go LOL
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Fun fun fun!!! I like the power up ones a lot. Something like "touch here for a power up/boost" usually in the last few miles. The one about smile if you aren't wearing underwear is funny and has a cousin "smile if you peed a little" lol. Any support is awesome!

No's: worst parade ever, you're almost there.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Oh, a few other favorites:

"Smile if you've peed your pants."

"How are your nipples feeling?"

"I bet you wish you had pooped this morning."
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    This would be awesome.

nyc-marathon-1.jpg

This would be funny, but you might end up with a taker... :embarassed:

lapdance.jpg
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Definitely not doing the lap dance thing Rally!

I also would never do the "Almost there!" unless I was about 5ft from the finish. Because I hate when people are like "half a mile left!"
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Best one I saw was a dude who looked naked, only wearing a sign over his privates, and it said "Run faster or I drop the sign!" LOL!!! Made me smile and pushed me through my race. He was actually hot so I was about to slow down and tell him to drop it! :-)