New World Record at Berlin Marathon

Options
rjmudlax13
rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
Dennis Kimetto broke the world record with a blazing fast 02:02:57 finishing time at the Berlin Marathon yesterday.

Looks like the possibility of someone breaking 2 hours is more likely now.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Highly unlikely to see this in our lifetime.

The current HM world record is 58:23. Doubled, that's 1:56:46. The current WR for the marathon is 6 minutes slower that than. So, we won't likely see a sub 2:00 marathon until we see a HM in the sub 54 minute range.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

Not according to Philip Maffetone.

Not that I know anything, but just sayin'.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options

Not according to Philip Maffetone.

Not that I know anything, but just sayin'.
    I train with someone who's brother once held the WR, their brother has been saying for sometime that we'll see a sub 2 on the right course with the right conditions in the next few years and, as they put it, that's coming from someone who knows what its like to run 4/5min miles for 26 miles.
  • rjmudlax13
    Options
    That's what I was thinking. I was running some numbers. So he ran an average pace of 4:42 which is 12.8 mph. For 2 hours flat, the average pace would have to be 4:35 at 13.9 mph. That is definitely quite a jump in pace at those speeds.

Also would like to note that the paces these guys run at are sickening!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Dennis Kimetto broke the world record with a blazing fast 02:02:57 finishing time at the Berlin Marathon yesterday.

Doubtful. Would make a great headline though, because it's more of a "nice round number."
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    That's what I was thinking. I was running some numbers. So he ran an average pace of 4:42 which is 12.8 mph. For 2 hours flat, the average pace would have to be 4:35 at 13.9 mph. That is definitely quite a jump in pace at those speeds.

This.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    For what it is worth, I am hoping to run a half at 2 hours or less. Just sayin', that is blazing fast!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    The record was lowered by 26 seconds which is almost 'Bob Beamon like'.

I'd be pleased if I could finish a HM or full marathon with a pace that is DOUBLE (9:24) the pace that Dennis ran in Berlin.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing example of human ability. Incredible.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

The current HM world record is 58:23. Doubled, that's 1:56:46. The current WR for the marathon is 6 minutes slower that than. So, we won't likely see a sub 2:00 marathon until we see a HM in the sub 54 minute range.

According to this line of reasoning, we'd need to see a *doubled* HM time of 1:54 -- six minutes slower than that equals the coveted 2-hour marathon. That corresponds to a 57-minute half, which sounds somewhat more doable.

Of course, that means picking up the pace from 4:27 per mile to 4:20 for an entire half marathon, which still sounds dang near impossible to me!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Not that I'm weighing in on the likelihood of a 2hr marathon in our lifetime (though I think it is possible with the right conditions), but I'd just like to point out that running 26.2 miles in 2 hours means that the average pace would be 13.11 mph not 13.9 mph
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Not that I'm weighing in on the likelihood of a 2hr marathon in our lifetime (though I think it is possible with the right conditions), but I'd just like to point out that running 26.2 miles in 2 hours means that the average pace would be 13.11 mph not 13.9 mph

Either way, it's really freakin fast. I am pretty certain that I wouldn't even be able to achieve that speed, let alone sustain it for any amount of time.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    The record was lowered by 26 seconds which is almost 'Bob Beamon like'.

I'd be pleased if I could finish a HM or full marathon with a pace that is DOUBLE (9:24) the pace that Dennis ran in Berlin.

Respect for the Bob Beamon reference! :)
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I noticed in the article I read that there was someone else who broke the previous standing record, but it was in the Boston Marathon and didn't count. I haven't googled it to find out why. Does anyone want to shed some light on the reasons the Boston course wouldn't be eligible for an official world record?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I noticed in the article I read that there was someone else who broke the previous standing record, but it was in the Boston Marathon and didn't count. I haven't googled it to find out why. Does anyone want to shed some light on the reasons the Boston course wouldn't be eligible for an official world record?

"In short: IAAF rules have deemed the oldest and most prestigious marathon in the world — long considered the one of the most difficult, too — to be too easy."

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/04/18/mutais-fastest-time-not-seen-as-world-record/

Basically, it's the point-to-point route and the elevation profile that the IAAF discounts Boston for official World records.

"The IAAF must certify a world record, and it is unlikely to approve Mutai’s feat. The international governing body’s Rule 206 requires courses to start and finish near the same point in order to discourage downhill, wind-aided runs and the artificially fast times they can produce. (Boston has a net decline of 459 feet, though the course is dominated by hills going up and down.)"

Edited to add the second quote from the article.
  • rjmudlax13
    Options

You are correct. I meant to put 13.09 according to my calculation. Or we can both agree that it's really f**king fast at that distance!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

You are correct. I meant to put 13.09 according to my calculation. Or we can both agree that it's really f**king fast at that distance!

Indeed, it is! My fastest mile (single) ever took me nearly twice as long to run as the AVERAGE of the new world record... just about 9 minutes!