Weird Weight Loss Idiosyncrasies/Superstitions?

sherambler
sherambler Posts: 303 Member
For instance, I've noticed that I'll drink more water in a day if I drink out a certain cup at work over another cup I have. Or, if I wear my neon pink sports bra over my gray one, I'll want to work out longer...anyone else got any fun idiosyncrasies like this?

Replies

• NicoleB0830
    NicoleB0830 Posts: 60 Member
    This is an interesting topic ... I have always had athletic superstitions and idiosyncrasies but I havent thought about it much as far as working out... Ill have to pay more attention.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    I don't know if its a superstition or more a habit but I now need to drink water out of my kantine. I got it specifically to help me to remember to drink and to drink a lot so when i forget it or leave it behind I forget to drink.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    I do drink more water out of a glass than a bottle, if at home. If at work, I drink more out of a bottle than a cup/glass. usually, if it is cold, I do better, but there are some times I can't stand it if it is cold! LOL

I also wear two sports bras - ironically grey and pink - maybe we go the same package, LOL - but whenever I pick them up is when I decide which has to go over or under.

I find the less I care about working out, the harder I push myself.

And since I almost gave myself a stroke (from overtaxing my blood pressure and exerting too much effort, etc.) a few months ago, I'm almost terrified to get up a good sweat or heart rate. If I start to push to the point where I'm getting out of breath, it is almost causing anxiety attacks. No idea why. No heart damage known. Blood pressure under control, etc.

I can go walking in work clothes (jeans and nice shirt) if I am at work, but these walks are short. If I'm at home, I must change into jogging pants or something...and a sports bra. If not, I can't push to walk longer. And I mostly only walk with my guy in the evenings. I don't live in the best of areas.

I almost feel like I treat workouts like a reward I have to earn, and usually I don't earn it.

I don't know...but right now, I'm doing a plank challenge, and because it is so short (I had to amend the starting time to be less because my max at first was 5 seconds), it doesn't seem like working out at all, but I can't do it in front of my guy. I guess I feel his critique or his realistic attitude that I probably won't stick with it, because I don't with anything.

But mostly, I'd say that my biggest deal is getting on here and attempting to log, and just to check in, because I feel like that is my anchor in the world these days.

Now that I've rambled on and on and on....there you go. I'm sure I have more.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    KnitOrMiss - stick with the plank challenge even if you are doing small increments. I did one last Feb and was amazed. I was not able to keep up with the official challenge times, but I did steadily improve. I didn't do any planks for quite a while, and my personal trainer suggested I start doing planks again, I was amazed that I could do several minutes without a problem. I get bored much longer than that, so I'm doing a variety of plank variations. It really does pay off.

Oh yeah, I never do them anywhere near anyone else or a mirror. When I plank, all of the loose skin hangs down. I just hate how it looks.... But I'd rather have loose skin that weight what I used to weigh....
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Scuba - I'm actually surprised that I can hold it for longer and it has only been a few days. But my core has always, to the best of my knowledge, been my weakest muscle group. The challenge I'm doing only has a single plan, repeated a two or three days in a row then increasing in increments. I calculated the adjustments in reverse to start at my 5 seconds and move up to the beginning of the actual challenge.

My current fear is break days. It has one day out of each 7 days that is a break. I'm not sure I can keep up with momentum if I take a single day off. I am almost terrified of it. Is there any risk you are aware of to not taking an off day unless I feel overtaxed? So one plan, one repeat, no sets increasing in increments. It almost feels like it doesn't count! I'm so confused. I'm not looking in a mirror either...so not happening...lol. Oh, and I've been arguing with myself over whether to push one day if I think I can, or to just stick to the schedule...meh...

I'd love to see the plank variations for future motivation.

Thanks for the feedback. :)
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    I drink from a pint glass. As I drink 2 at once quite often anything smaller just wont do