What do you eat at the barn?

Options
I've been spending more time at the barn lately (YAY!), which is great for the billion calorie burn of just walking around the property, but I'd like some fresh ideas for barn snacks. Since everything is immediately covered in dirt and flies, I try to take food that doesn't need utensils, doesn't need to be touched by my filthy hands, and can be re-covered tightly if necessary.

I've been bringing protein bars and cheese sticks, but I'm getting bored of these. Sometimes we make our lunch (my 7 year old son accompanies me) and have a sandwiches-and-chips kind of thing happening.

What do you take to the barn to eat? (besides apples and carrots, of course)

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Well my horse loves the crunchy oat and honey granola bars so I always have some of those.

Burritos and wraps do well. Just wrap them in foil or parchment paper if you're going to microwave and peel it back as you eat. The yogurt in the tube is handy too.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Well my horse loves the crunchy oat and honey granola bars so I always have some of those.

Burritos and wraps do well. Just wrap them in foil or parchment paper if you're going to microwave and peel it back as you eat. The yogurt in the tube is handy too.

I like the burrito idea. But the microwave at my barn looks like it's from 1983 and it's filthy. I may have to take over the care and maintenance of it if I want to actually use it, haha!
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You can eat fruit - dried or fresh. Yoghurt is also a good idea. Salad that you can pack into a little cooler bag to keep chilled.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Huh. I have never, ever, taken food to the barn other than bruised apples or corn shucks/cobs for the horses.. A bottle of water if I'm going to be there for a while cleaning stalls or loading/unloading/stacking hay, but food? Never. I just walk the 75 ft. back to the house.
    I'm going to assume most of you posters have your horse at someone else's barn, not your own.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Back when I did board out my horses, I would bring a dozen bakery muffins in for the barn help (and myself of course) very Saturday morning. Back then I didn't have to count calories. I used to bring Easy Mac for my very young daughter for her lesson nights when we went to the barn straight from school.

If I really needed to eat, there was a pizza shop within 100 yards of the barn.

Now that the horses are home, I don't bring food to the barn.
  • greengoddess0123
    Options
    Huh. I have never, ever, taken food to the barn other than bruised apples or corn shucks/cobs for the horses.. A bottle of water if I'm going to be there for a while cleaning stalls or loading/unloading/stacking hay, but food? Never. I just walk the 75 ft. back to the house.
    I'm going to assume most of you posters have your horse at someone else's barn, not your own.

Way to rub it in, MelsAuntie. :laugh: I'm so jealous of all y'all with horses in your backyards!

I'm a horseless rider on a shoestring budget. I'm pretty much a barn rat, doing whatever needs to be done in exchange for experience and riding priviledges. When I go (2-3x per week), I'm always out there for hours. I really don't eat much when I'm there, either because I'm busy or filthy. I was just fishing the forums for fresh ideas.

I have been meaning to make pumpkin muffins (thanks klkarlen!). Maybe buttering up the barn owner is a good enough reason to get my butt in the kitchen and do it. :smile:
  • suzetteducrepe
    suzetteducrepe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I used to take granola bars, and nuts and seeds. Things I could share with my pony!
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I have been meaning to make pumpkin muffins (thanks klkarlen!). Maybe buttering up the barn owner is a good enough reason to get my butt in the kitchen and do it. :smile:

Yeah, my horses got great care from the staff - bribery at it's finest. When I moved from CT to FL, they were all sad that they were not going to have Harpo's muffins on Saturdays.

You could purchase some thermos storage things to bring hot food, they work pretty well. And some Handy Wipes for your hands. And I have always gone by the theory that all those barn germs actually help to keep me healthier than the non-horse owning folks. :smile:
  • driczal
    driczal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lately the salad-in-a-jar and oatmeal-in-jar recipes have been working for me at the barn. I make 4 at a time, store them in frig and just throw them in when I leave in the morning. Sometimes a smoothie that I make in the morning. All in the wide-mouthed mason jars. I carry them in a Whole Foods cooler bag with an ice pack.

Also LOTS of water loaded into the cooler bag. I always get really dehydrated at the barn and then mix up thirst and hunger signals. It helps to always try water first to see if that's what your body needs. Half the time it is and you eat less.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    when I used to board I would bring slices of pepperoni, granola bars, fruit, and lots of water. I still bring similar stuff with me to horse shows so I have a quick snack at the trailer between classes.
  • greengoddess0123
    Options
    Thank you driczal, I forgot about the salad-in-a-jar thing! I have tons of wide mouth mason jars. And I love the pepperoni idea, luckypony71. Thanks! :drinker:
  • greengoddess0123
    Options
    I used to take granola bars, and nuts and seeds. Things I could share with my pony!

When I did carriage tours downtown, the drafts LOVED granola bars and potato chips. The package crinkles and that big head swings around, "Can I have one?" :happy:
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna there that I eat mostly poop and dirt - am I the only barn person out there who believes consuming a healthy amount of dirty-handed food is one of the main reasons I've like, never really been sick?? C'mon! I can't be the only one!

The other day I was eating pizza there (uhg, it was a b-day .... for a dog...LOL.... and I ate 2 pieces ;-( ) and I had just scrubbed and cleaned my horses tatas as I call them, with no gloves, and didn't even "wash" my hands. Meh. I mean i used squeaky clean to clean her.... which is basically soap...

Anyway, I go to the barn every day after work - it's about an hour drive - and I bring a tupperwear full of fruit and snack on that (sans hand washing). On weekends i generally do the same - if I'm there for more than 5 hours I'll bring some turkey or something, but generally just fruit, which I can share with my horse ;-). I used to bring candy.... so it's an inprovement, and she seems to like apple cores just as much as twizlers and Mike n Ikes...

Horseshow days i'm BAD at....my diet generally consists of a gallon of sangria, some beers, chicken wings, fruit if I'm lucky, more chicken wings, and chicken wings. I'm trying to real it in but shows are such a social event that booze and wings seem to always feel like the right choice!!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options

Way to rub it in, MelsAuntie. :laugh: I'm so jealous of all y'all with horses in your backyards!

I'm a horseless rider on a shoestring budget. I'm pretty much a barn rat, doing whatever needs to be done in exchange for experience and riding priviledges. When I go (2-3x per week), I'm always out there for hours. I really don't eat much when I'm there, either because I'm busy or filthy. I was just fishing the forums for fresh ideas.

[/quote

A pity you're so far away. I don't breed, show or ride any more, haven't been on a horse in 10 years, so my horses are doing nothing, just hanging out in the pasture enjoying life in a natural herd environment.
  • goodtf
    goodtf Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerky. favorite is Sweet Baby Rays. Chewy enough to last a long time. I totally agree about not always having clean hands when I eat in the barn and never getting sick
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I used to have my own 60 acres with my horses outside the door. Got divorced 5 years ago and had to sell up, but I've managed to keep my one favorite horse. I keep him at a friends house (100 acre property in the hills) about 40 minutes away, and I ride every weekend. On my riding days I usually don't eat much. I might have a coffee with coconut oil and butter in it on the drive there (I'm low carb), and I throw an atkins bar in my car for after my ride. That's usually enough until dinner.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options

When I did carriage tours downtown, the drafts LOVED granola bars and potato chips. The package crinkles and that big head swings around, "Can I have one?" :happy:

Haha yep, Charlie loves Twisties, and Quest bars. He finds the crinkly packaging in my pockets.