treadmill running

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
I'm a long time fitbit user, but I've always used NIKE+running to manage my outdoor runs, and Nike+ipod (with the shoe dongle thing) to manage my treadmill runs.

Nike has now retired Nike+ipod (making the shoe thing useless). And I like to charge my phone while running on the treadmill. So I can't carry the phone in my hand or pocket.

Long wind up for a question: does the fitbit have any way to really measure a treadmill run? Or just an outdoor run?

And/or is this something that make come when it integrates with the health app.

TIA!

Replies

• JanePublic
    JanePublic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do about 12miles a week of treadmill running and really like how the fitbit-one tracks. At the start of the run I engage the FB-One timer by pushing and holding the button on the face of device - this starts the timer and gives me instant feedback on the number of steps, distance, calories burned and active minutes for the run.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It tracks my treadmill running quite well for steps/active minutes I have found.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have the flex, for whatever that's worth.

I can get it to see my steps like usual, but the actual "RUN" feature that they added just doesn't see me. Fitbit said to move it to my pocket. Treadmill was set for a 10 minute mile. I ran 10 minutes and fitbit said I'd run 1/10 of a mile and had a 45 minute per mile pace.

Any other suggestions?
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I do about 12miles a week of treadmill running and really like how the fitbit-one tracks. At the start of the run I engage the FB-One timer by pushing and holding the button on the face of device - this starts the timer and gives me instant feedback on the number of steps, distance, calories burned and active minutes for the run.

It doesn't really know you are running though, no?? Or does it know? And it accurately calculates how man calories you burned running, verses just walking all of those steps? (because I assume you would burn more running a mile than you would walking a mile, no?)
  • alexlau01
    Options
    FWIW, I take my Flex and loop it through the laces on my right shoe. Never had a problem with that. I use a treadmill desk most of the time, so I came up with this as my hands are typically still on the keyboard while I'm walking.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    FWIW, I take my Flex and loop it through the laces on my right shoe. Never had a problem with that. I use a treadmill desk most of the time, so I came up with this as my hands are typically still on the keyboard while I'm walking.
    Interesting! Have you tried that with the actual running part of fitibit? I'll give it a try.
    I tried my pocket as fitbit suggested, but that didn't help the running app see me.
  • ysienkiewicz
    ysienkiewicz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I run on a treadmill and have never had any issues with my Flex. It seems to count my steps just fine. Distance is slightly different than what the treadmill says due to stride length (walking vs running) but I don't care. Everything is relative.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I run on a treadmill and have never had any issues with my Flex. It seems to count my steps just fine. Distance is slightly different than what the treadmill says due to stride length (walking vs running) but I don't care. Everything is relative.
    STEPS yes. I was hoping it would capture my RUNS under its exercise section. It doesn't seem to do that well.