Half Marathon Goal

Lyadeia
Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
I am fairly new to running, only been at it since late February/early March of this year. I started out just doing 4 miles a week (and it took 24 minutes to do 2 miles!) Right now I run about 25 miles a week on average, usually a minimum of 4 or 5 miles per run. I have done a lot of 5k races this year. My first one back in April was a finish of 28:32 and I have gradually gotten better through the year. My PR is 27:12. I am hoping to improve upon that on November 1, the last race of this year for me, but I am still expecting to finish probably around 27 minutes. I'd be psyched to be under that, but I am not expecting it due to the fact that I've had to recently recover from a knee injury (non-running injury, but it still stopped me from running for nearly 2 months) and a sickness that lasted most of July.

I have never run a race longer than a 5k even though my longest run ever in training was the half marathon distance (not timed, I just went out of my house and ran to my friend's house who honestly lives 13.1 miles away, lol).

After my race in November, I will be following the protocol in Matt Fitzgerald's book Racing Weight (Quick Start Guide) to improve my base fitness while shedding body fat. I plan on doing it for 8 weeks (since I was disgusted at the fact that I weighed in at 144 on Monday, 20 pounds higher than my goal "racing weight" and I didn't even realize that I had gained weight recently). I have a cruise in mid-January, and when I get back I will start training for the half with one of McMillan's plans which will lead me up to the April 11 Charlotte RaceFest Half Marathon.

I'm a very goal oriented person, but I can't seem to make a goal for this race. I am not sure what would be reasonable for myself at that race. My goal for my first ever 5k was to beat 30 minutes, and I did that by 1:30 or so. Given my limited background and training so far and times that I have posted in shorter distances, what would you think would be a decent goal for my first half in April next year? I don't want to set something too lofty that it will be a letdown to not reach, but I also don't want to set something too easy that I blast by a handful of minutes.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    I think the standard answer here is to plug your 5k time into the mcmillan (or similar) calculator and use those training paces and predictions. During your training, there are some predictor workouts you can do r even run a tune up 10k, which will give you a better idea of where you are in your training. A common half goal is to break 2 hours; let's say you run a 27 min 5k, that predicts a 2:05 half....so I would think somewhere in that 2-2:10 range would be good and you can better plan when you have a newer 5k time.

I think some feel that mcmillan's race predictions are a bit fast though; however, I used one of his plans for my first marathon and was pretty right on. I think I even beat the predicted time for a recent half I ran.
  • Lyadeia
    Maybe I'll just make my goal 2:05 for this first time around and try to break 2 hours when I have more training, like the October race that I am planning.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Maybe I'll just make my goal 2:05 for this first time around and try to break 2 hours when I have more training, like the October race that I am planning.

2:05 will be right at a 9:30 minute pace, which is about 45 seconds per mile over your 5k PR. If you keep to your training plan, especially if you're including some speed work once a week or so, that should be a pretty easy goal to hit. I think you'll surprise yourself.

Having a similar 5K pace when I started training and having a similar goal, I made sure I included all the intervals and tempo runs my plan called for and ended my training regiment with a few runs around 14.5-15 miles (pretty sure it was Jeff Galloway speaking at the expo for the Wine and Dine at Disney (I was there to run the half relay) who said "If you just want to finish, just stick to 13 miles on your long runs, if you want to finish strong, you need to run farther." which made sense.). I think I finished it at 1:56 or something like that, blew away my goal.

Anyway, my point is, don't sell yourself short. You're capable of running at a decent clip now. I think you'll find, especially if you stick to the plan, you'll hit that goal easier than you think.
  • Lyadeia
    I just made my workout plans for the rest of this year and part of January...and this isn't even my training plan for the half. I start out around 25 miles per week and end up closer to 35-40 per week, apparently. Surely this will make me a faster runner than I am now, regardless of how the 5k goes.

That said, I think I shall just make my goal an even 2 hours and see how it goes. I might surprise myself, but even if I don't make goal I shouldn't be too far off. Then I can train hard throughout the Spring and Summer, and doing so can set an even faster goal.

I do plan on doing some 5, 8 and 10k races throughout the summer, and I am sure that my times will keep improving (as long as I no longer allow my friends to talk me into those weird obstacle races which have this tendency to see me injured afterwards...)
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    There are lots of variables to running a HM compared to a 5K (having run 5k, HM and full marathons). It is more than just trying to run a 5k race that is 4.22 times longer.

There are calculators that can help but they also assume some level of training for that distance. McMillan and Galloway both have good calculators that give comparable results. They also assume that there is a level of training to take you to that distance. Galloway's calculator (assuming a 27 minute 5k) would predict that you could do a 2:08 and change.

But there are many factors that go into that. I ran a 25:32 5k earlier this year and could have run it a little faster and maybe closed in on 25 minutes. But that speed did not translate into a sub-2:00 half-marathon. At the time I ran the HM in 2:13.

Granted, my HM pace was faster than the pace that I ran in two previous full marathons (when I crossed the halfway point timer), but there is a different running strategy for the full compared to the half. When you cross the finish line in the HM, you're done. When you cross the timer at mile 13.1 you are only halfway done and have a whole HM yet to run. Now, I run the 5K for fun and a quick check on speed but I find my time more variable than the mid-full distances. I think Fitzgerald might be on to something around the whole fueling/race weight issue.

BTW, since I ran that first HM (after running two full marathons), my time has gotten progressively faster in the HM (just ran a hilly course in 2:01 PR). These recent races have been part of my training schedule for a full-marathon and have landed on weekends dedicated to speed runs for the full. Since there is a longer term goal, this means that I have run at a pace consistent with speed work and then recovery for the upcoming weeks. I run a very flat course in Myrtle Beach in a couple of weeks and if everything lines up, a sub-2:00 may be possible. Both my most recent mile timed run and a recent 5k race on a hilly course predict a sub-2:00 HM. It is still just a training run (my last full speed workout) for the full marathon I am running in early November.

If I were to put a range on your times (in April), I would say 2:05 -2:15 is reasonable.

One other thing, when I ran the Rock n Roll Raleigh full marathon in April, it had gone from being cold-cool during the late winter / early spring training period to suddenly warming up. Welcome to April in North Carolina. It was "brutal" according to a number of people who ran the half and full and didn't adequately take the sudden temperature rise (and no time to acclimate) into account. By contrast, I did not think it "brutal."

I did and made some really smart decisions about running pace in that weather by adjusting my pace to be slower from the very start and knowing that there was a lot of exposed (little shade) roadway and hills on the way back in to the finish. I set a PR and came away from that race with a smile and ready to go onto my next race. By comparison, a coworker who had run marathons at a much faster pace than I was capable (at the time), ran one of his slowest marathons and dragged himself across the finish only six-minutes in front of me. The weather was a real wildcard at that time of year and the combination of the temperature and the course took its toll on people.

Two people died in the HM that day (they were runners and it was never revealed whether there was some underlying condition that had remained hidden for these two guys). One collapsed at the finish and the other died at Mile 11. No such occurrence amongst the full marathoners. We all sign those waivers and if we've trained well, the chances are that we'll make it through just fine. But in the absence of other information to the contrary, the running community around here thinks that they just didn't factor in the sudden temperature rise and were running too hard for conditions (both hilly and warm).

Just keep the environmental factors in mind as you come to race day. You'll know how your training has gone and will be able to make a more informed choice as you get closer to the date.
  • dtesle
    dtesle Posts: 3 Member
    First of all, you are to be commended for your running progress. I have to agree with STrooper, a half marathon is a whole different animal than a 5K.

I started running in 2002, and ran my first 5K in May of 2003. I followed the 5K race up with a half marathon In September of that year. I ran my first half at a pace of 10:19 per mile or around 2:14. I was very happy and got hooked on running. I have now run over 13 half marathons and 4 marathons. It took me until 2010 to break two hours in the half. My point is, progress comes slowly. The half is my favorite race. Your pace is the key.

There are so many variables in the half. Several key variable include the weather, the course, the number of participants, and one of the most important, your nutrition strategy. You want to be well rested going into the race. If you are not feeling well or have been sick, it is tough to run up to your potential. A DNF is not a bad thing! I think a a 2:05 is certainly possible for you but around 2:15 is probably more realistic. If you want to set a time goal, I would use a range. Let's say a range of 2:05 to 2:20. You might surprise yourself and run a sub 2. Don't be afraid to adjust pace on the fly. An even pace is probably best, but a negative split yields PR's quite often.

I think you might want to check out Matt Fitzgerald's book, "The Cutting Edge-Runner." I found it to be a great reference book. I read his book, "Racing Weight" and found " The Cutting Edge-Runner", to be more beneficial for me. Check out his pace charts for various workouts and his goal setting strategies.

Remember train to race and don't race to train or your performance in the race you have trained for might be diminished. It sounds like your training ramp up to 40 miles a week will be sufficient for your time goal. Ramp up your mileage slowly and stay healthy. You might want to get a heart rate monitor to *kitten* your fatigue. Matt's book is very beneficial in this area as well. Good luck! Have fun and run within yourself.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    The last poster reminded me of what John "the Penguin" Bingham has said in his books with regard to these races..."always finish the race the same day that you started it!" He tells his interesting story about how not to train and how he started a race and didn't finish it until a year later.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    I agree with the PP who said 2:10 - 2:15. HMs feel exponentially longer than 5ks, so I think that's a good goal if you're running a 28:30ish 5k. Who knows, you could surprise yourself, but better to set a slightly more conservative goal and achieve it!

My first half (after running ~28:30 5ks), my goals were 1) finish 2) finish in under 2:30 3) finish in under 2:15. I ended up coming in at 2:03 and was PSYCHED!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    April of next year? I think you should assess your fitness a little before the actual race. Right now with your 5k times and mileage, I'm thinking 2:15ish is more realistic. But, as you continue with your mileage base, train, and gain fitness, you'll get a better feel for your time next year. Do a longer race before your half - a 10k or 15k would be a better measure.

Simply for illustration purposes: I haven't raced a 5k since May of 2011 but at that time, my time was 25:55. I then did a 10k @59 minutes and a 15k in 1:39. This all translated to a 2:08 first half marathon. I think my mileage at that time was similar to yours.

Fast forward to May of 2012: that's when I got it down to 2:00 and my 10k also went down to about 53 minutes. I think the 10k was a better guage. That year I got it under 2 hours but again, I gauged this effort from my 10k times. Plus adding mileage.

Your rate of improvement may differ greatly from others, so see where you are in March or so.

Good luck!
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Hmmmm.... My mom was about in your situation, and I had her training for a 2:15-2:10 range for a half.. But she is 52 with no fitness background. She really struggled with the long runs.. What was your time when you ran 13 miles?
  • Lyadeia
    Hmmmm.... My mom was about in your situation, and I had her training for a 2:15-2:10 range for a half.. But she is 52 with no fitness background. She really struggled with the long runs.. What was your time when you ran 13 miles?

I don't remember exactly how long it was because I wasn't even timing it. I remember it being a little more than 2 hours, but I honestly can't tell you exactly how much more than that.

As far as a fitness background, I may have just started running this year, but I have always been active. I am a Turbo Kick instructor and used to do that 4 days a week with a 4 day/week heavy lifting program. I started losing weight in 2008 and stayed relatively the same size since 2009...but I have exercised a minimum of 4 days per week since then. Right now I am running anywhere from 4 miles to 10 miles per day, 4-5 days a week with only 2 days of lifting. I will be adding in some cross training cardio when I jump into the half training program, and it will probably be Turbo Kick since it's a lot of fun. I won't be teaching it anymore, but I do have some DVDs for it at home.

Long runs are what I struggle least with. I seem to have more issues with speed workouts on the track. I'm good with Tempo runs and such, but actual sprinting workouts do a number on me, lol.