diet, metformin & pcos

Options
kirianna55
kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
How have you gotten your PCOS under control? I have switched my diet to paleo (with the exception of kefir in the morning) and taking 500 mg of metformin a day. My dose is going to double in another week. I am also on birth control as my husband and I have decided to wait before having kids. We want to help me lose 30-130 lbs before we try again. So far I have lost 6 lbs in 7 days of being on metformin.

The other thing I am trying is a colon cleanse where you drink 4 oz of kefir mixed with 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds. The second week is 4 oz kefir and 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds. Week three is 6 oz kefir and 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds. It is supposed to grab any gunk trapped in your intestines and rebuild the flora inside your body.

Thoughts?

Replies

• jastillwell87
    Options
    Sorry don't know how to delete post sooo :happy:
  • jastillwell87
    Options
    My diet is not strictly paleo (sorta pseudo paleo) but I have drastically reduced my carbs... Well drastic for me at least. Taking metformin with my low carb diet was making me feel very dizzy and fatigued though, so I added a little more fat to my diet and a little more carbs. Not sure if u have to take more carbs when taking Metformin or not. :-/ other than the side effects of alittle dizziness and belly cramps now and then from Metformin, I haven't noticed much else. Don't think it's really causing me to lose weight; water weight maybe, cause I swear water has been going right through me on this medication (sorry if alittle too much info). But anyway, my diet is low carbs (I try to do less than 100 g/day) and consistent exercise, especially cardio (though trying to start lifting). I'm taking metformin to control my insulin resistance and to help with pregnancy. I don't know if all my ranting has helped you or not!! :-S
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my carbs under 50g a day or i have potty issues the next day on Metformin. But I also take cinnamon and biotin and Insositol to help regulate the insulin issues. I am on 1500mg of Met a day, my insulin was on the high side of normal at 1000mg a day so they upped my Met but then i also added in inositol to help.

If i do it right, ill lose steadily but ONLY if i add some exercise in with it. Cardio and weight lifting both.

Met helps you with holding on to a pregnancy as long as you produce other hormones needed , like progesterone, to keep the pregnancy. BUt it helps you not miscarry from insulin issues at least.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I eat about 100 carbs a day, around 100 grams of protien a day and the rest is filled with fat. I have found that taking my metformin halfway through a meal helps. Drinking kefir helps even more. It also helps with insulin resistance. I put cinnamon and ground flax seeds in it. I want to reduce my carbs a little more but not too much. Most of my carbs are from flax seeds, veggies, and my kefir.