Lost 5lbs and now stuck

Options
Hello,
I went 100% gluten free a little over a month ago. I feel a lot better than I did before I went gluten free. I was having constant stomach issues, migraines and fatigue. I still have occassional weather related headaches but nothing like before, so I am super excited about that. My stomach issues are also down to a minimum and the fatigue is less.

Pre-GF, my diet consisted of lots and lots of bread, bars, cookies, cakes, donuts, etc. I work in an office and there is always food. so over the 1st 2 weeks I lost 5 lbs, but then it just stopped. I know for a fact that there is more than 5lbs of fat on me from all the junk I used to eat. I eat so much healthier now and rarely have GF substitutes-maybe 1 or 2 times a week. Instead of eating donuts in the morning, I eat an apple and PB. I have a yogurt every day (made with whole milk, real sugar and real fruit). and my other meals consist of meats and rice or potatoes & vegetables. I am under my calorie count almost every day.

Does anyone know what the issue is ? Please help me!

Replies

• blupanda12
    blupanda12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Being gluten-free is not a requirement for losing weight. Losing weight happens when calories consumed is less than calories expended for an extended period of time. Without knowing your stats, the most common reason people stop losing weight is that they are not accurately accounting for one or both sides of this equation. If you are tracking exercise with MFP, the exercise calories tend to be exaggerated. I suggest you eat back no more than 50% to 75% of the calories that MFP says you burn for a given exercise.

For the calories consumed side of the equation, this link should help you get an idea of whether you are accurately tracking your intake:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

This link gives some more general information on common issues people have when attempting to lose weight:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

And for a general repository of great and detailed information on this thing called "weight loss journey", this link is great. I come back to every time I have a question, and most of the time it gets answered.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

I also want to mention that 2 weeks is not much time to see change. It took me 2 months to get my logging consistent enough to start seeing weight loss every week. During that time, it went up, down and didn't move. If you are doing everything right, you probably just need to be patient. Weight loss is not linear, but if the advice in the links above is followed, it will happen.

I am glad you are feeling better on a gluten-free diet. Good luck with your weight loss! :flowerforyou:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is still a little early... make sure you are getting enough protein, add in eggs, and fish for lower fat quality proteins, and try using greek yogourt 0% plain with just added fruit/berries - no sugar. Use lower carb veggies rather than peas, carrots, corn. Perhaps cauliflower, broccoli, jicama, spinach, mushrooms, celery, cucumber, zucchini, etc. Usually your first week or two of drastically cutting carbs which is what has happened with you, will get you a large water loss, but if you keep it up the body will begin to process your fat more effectively, even though your losses may be slower than the first two weeks. Hang in there.

GF makes such a difference in those of us that really need it. Glad you are feeling better.