Week 3 (9/26-10/03) Informational and Goal-setting: Heart

Week 3 Informational: :heart:
Cardiovascular disease is the number one killer of women and men, and rates of survival for people under 65 have not improved all that well in the past several years. On the positive note, it is also MOSTLY preventable, in fact, almost totally preventable!
Risk factors for cardiovascular disease are tied into our daily lifestyles:

Physical activity – not enough heart and vascular exercise (get the heart pumping and stronger) :blushing:
Tobacco use – tobacco inflames and destroys the blood vessel linings and increases blood pressure
Obesity and Abdominal waist obesity – Having too much weight increases the work of the heart and consequent heart disease. Too much abdominal obesity is really a big risk factor. :embarassed:
Remember our waist measurements: If you are a female, you are at risk if you waist is 80 cm, and very high risk if your waist is 88cm. If you are a male, you are at risk if your waist is 94 cm, and very high risk if you waist is 102cm.
High blood pressure – Weighing too much, and eating too much processed food with too much salt increases blood pressure.
High blood cholesterol – Eating too much sugar, too many carbohydrates, increases bad cholesterol levels in the blood, and inflammation in the blood vessels.
Diabetes – sluggish blood overloaded with sugar and fat cannot move through the body well to take nutrients and oxygen to the vital organs, including the heart!
Diet, toxins, and chemicals – too many processed foods (refined grains, sugar, and salt) and not enough fruits and vegetables

Ideas for improved heart health:

Get a good night's sleep each night at least 7 hours of sleep :yawn:
Take a walk instead of watching that show, or at least take a walk first!
Decrease your stress
Eat your fruits and veggies before your meal so that you will end up eating less in the long run

Everyone has their own goals and knows in what areas they can improve their heart health.
Choose a goal this week in an area in which you are lacking in your heart health to decrease your cardiovascular disease risk and share!

Please post your goal in a response to this post. :tongue:

Here's to you! :drinker:
Elizabeth

Replies

• having problem with foot,, hip--told by doctor not to walk, bike, even not to do water aerobics,, wow,,,
  • I have a pedometer and I'm not afraid to use it. :laugh:
    So, I'm going to use the pedometer and try to up my steps every day by at least something. Already made plans to go walking tonight, and will be going to event with a lot of walk on Saturday, so I'm trying to make sure and fit in a lot of exercise time (some more rigid, some more on the fun side to keep it interesting). My dad died at age 53 of a heart attack, and had quite a few previous to that. Heart disease runs in the family for all of the man and women. I'm 44, so it's time for me to give it my all and at least know I did my part in staying health--I better get a movin. :embarassed: Thank you for the wonderful inspiration, and goals. It's helping me really think about what I can organize better, what isn't working, and what I could tweak. Muchas gracias. :flowerforyou:
  • I will continue with my previous weeks goals and add the goal of less sodium to my diet as well. I'm hangin in there.....have a good weekend everyone!
  • My goal is to get some form of exercise 4-5 times next week.
  • My goal for this week is to hit my 10,000 step goal every day. I wanna see my fitbit do its happy dance!
  • Medhnurse
    Medhnurse Posts: 3 Member
    My goal is to do my stair stepper at least 3 days a week, which I did not meet last week.
  • kittytiger442
    kittytiger442 Posts: 8 Member
    My goal is to get my 10,000 steps 5 days this week and also get in 3 workouts.
  • My goal is to take 10,000 steps at least 5 days this week and also to add in additional exercise 3-5 days this week. I have to take it easy due to a bad knee but I want to keep moving as much as possible.
  • past goals decrease sugars, walk 10,000 steps a day and get 3 days of weight training in. Along with 3 days of cardio.
  • I love to hear your goals and see how you are progressing despite setbacks and demands of life!
    Keep up the good work!
    Elizabeth