Anyone succeeded in controlling symptoms without meds?

Options
Hi Ladies,

Has anyone managed to control their PCOS with diet/exercise alone?

I'm having real trouble with my skin (some acne on face, bad acne on back and blackheads in t-zone) and starting to despair.

I have weight to lose (currently 151lb 5ft6) but eat pretty well and exercise at least a couple of times a week.

Would love to hear about other people's experiences, especially success stories to motivate me not to give up.

Thanks,

Pip

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    There are some women on here who have been successful with diet and exercise alone, but it depends entirely on the nature and degree of your symptoms. Unfortunately, PCOS is one of those issues where we're all different and any given course of treatment is going to need tweaked for the individual.

That said, there seem to be a few different commonalities I've seen while observing the responses in the forums:

1. The "nearly normal" ladies, who are fortunate enough to be able to lose weight the same way everyone else does -- a moderate calorie deficit and exercise a few days a week.

2. The "extreme 'normal'" ladies, who can do it entirely with diet and exercise, but need to go to one extreme or another -- create a 2lb/week deficit to lose 1lb/week, exercise an hour a day, every single day, etc. Depending on your point of view, the women who use the LCHF/ketogenic ways of eating would also fall into this. (I don't consider such ways of eating to be "extreme," really, but a lot of people who have only ever eating the SAD/Western way of eating see it as extreme.)

3. The "Metformin miracle" ladies, who become basically "normal" solely by taking some Metformin. The amount varies, but their amount of Metformin is enough to make everything else "click" back into place and become "normal."

4. The "Metformin plus" ladies, who need something in addition to Metformin, usually Spiro, or if the doctor knows what they're doing and the woman doesn't want kids right now, it may be a birth control like Yaz. These are the ones who the Metformin works for weight loss (kind of), but the acne, hair, and skin issues are still a problem (that's where the "plus" comes in).

5. The "alternative medicine" ladies, who use supplements instead of prescription medications. Usually, this includes at least Myo-Inositol or D-Chiro Inositol, sometimes both, and possibly other supplements, including magnesium, folate, and/or choline.

Given your acne issues, I would highly recommend looking into at least supplementing Myo or D-Chiro Inositol. It's been fairly well-studied to have positive effects on a number of the problem areas women have with PCOS, including acne. Inositol is a "pseudo-vitamin" that we usually make in our own bodies, but there's evidence that women with PCOS don't make enough or can't adequately convert the ones we do make enough of.

Aside from that, it is possible, though can be a slow and difficult road. Hold on to whatever progress you make and remember it when you start feeling down.
  • kittee83
    kittee83 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Keep going anyways :) Using this app helps a whole lot.

I have had PCOS since in my early teens (am now 31yo), and was on meds for years. Finally stopped taking them last year. My own choice.
    Since May 2013, I've lost weight, but slower than normal people. Am now at 13st 10lbs, 5ft 4". I started at 19st 4lbs.

I do have mood swings, spots on my face, facial hair, chocolate cravings. But I deal. It's been better than staying on meds. I've gone to my favourite beautician for the last 7/8years to wax off my facial hair every 6 weeks. It's not as bad as it used to be. When I first started going to her, I'd be going every second or third day.
    I still get spots on my face, but I have been drinking loads of water, and since successfully giving up chocolate over 2 weeks ago, there's been less spots (a miracle).

15 months is a long time for losing so little (78lbs), but I've lost it. I keep fighting. There are days when I want to give up, and I do eat a whole bar of chocolate / packet of biscuits / pizza, but the next day, I brush myself off, pick myself up, and keep fighting.

Add me if you like, and we'll handle eachother's struggles :) xxx Maire, Ireland.
  • Jetta1492
    Jetta1492 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been on Spiro & BC for years. Every time that I try to go off the BC, my hormones get really messed up. I always end up going back on it. With the spiro, I get acne, facial hair, bloated once I stop taking it. I am concerned about the side effects, but have found, at least for me, that the benefits outweigh side effects. I do plan to go back to doctor to see if there is anything else that I can do. I would like to be able to stop taking meds, especially since there is risk of blood clots as you get older with taking hormones.

It is a battle, but I try to maintain my weight in the normal BMI range. I have had trouble with insulin resistance in the past, but maintaining my weight & cutting down on carbs/sugar really helps ALOT! I have to constantly count calories. I have pretty severe carb cravings, and it seems like once I start eating high carb foods, it is hard to stop! Keeping track helps keep me accountable.

It is possible to lose weight with PCOS & control symptoms. I think everyone is different in regards to medication, etc. The key is to find out what works for you.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have tried with Metformin, without Metformin, on BC, not on Bc etc.

This is the first time in my whole life (29) that I"m actually succeeding on a diet, and I'm going natural. U name a diet, i have tried it. I am a keen exerciser, I eat healthy and didn't lose. Now that I am down to 1200 calories (more or less) I have lost quite quickly actually. I am an exception to the rule as well, as I am on steroids and have other health issues. When Idiscussed with my dr going on 1200 cal diet i didn't dream I would be this successful. Whilst I know that some of you have lost 50+lbs, and I am "only" at -14, I have lost it in about 7 weeks.... In the past, I have dieted for weeks and scales haven't moved. I didn't find Metformin did anything for me.

It is very possible that the amount of testosterone you have in your blood will affect the symptoms. I know that I have PCOS, as in i have cysts on my ovaries, but my bloods are all normal.

Re hair on face: about 9 years ago I did electrolysis. it was expensive and painful but it really worked. Post pregnancy I needed another 5ish sessions just to clean up again and now I'm ok (remember steroids causes hairy too)

Good luck with your journey, happy to cheer u on if you want

x
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've lost and maintained successfully on low carb but the rest of my symptoms certainly didn't go away (just as I had symptoms before I was ever fat)

I'm currently seeing an ND (Naturopathic Doctor) and am opting for a natural treatment approach. I'm taking Inositol as well as Testoquench for Woman.

I've seen drastic results in regards to my Insulin Resistance, I still eat low carb but even when I don't I'm still loosing (OMG!) The rest of my hormonal symptoms have yet to be determined if they are improving (it's too soon to tell as it's only been a month). I'll certainly keep you posted.
  • AMDLove
    AMDLove Posts: 12
    Options
    I have succeeded in controlling SOME of my PCOS symptoms without any meds. My heaviest weight was about 260, and that is when my PCOS was out of control. I had IBS, no or irregular periods, heartburn (not sure if that is a PCOS symptom), etc. That was about 2 years ago. During that year, I stopped eating wheat products and a month later I got my period and I have been getting it every month since then. I also lost about 40 lbs without exercise, just by changing my diet. My IBS and heartburn is gone. I am still dealing with other symptoms, such as extreme hirsutism and thinning hair on my head, but I am happy I get my period every month. I have about 90 lbs to lose, and I am now taking a more aggressive approach by calorie counting and exercising.
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have recently (within the last month) come of hormonal BC and do not take Metformin. Since I have come off the BC, I have seen some of my symptoms return (my hair is shedding/falling out more often and bits of acne have popped back up). But, I did not like the BC I was on (my cycle still wasn't regular on the BC) and decided to come off of it and see if I could control thing through diet and exercise. I recently also started taking the supplement vitex chasteberry, but haven't been taking it long enough to know yet if it will help regulating things. Time will tell, I suppose.
    According to blood work, it doesn't look as if I have insulin resistance and finding any information on PCOS without insulin resistance is pretty tough. I'm not sure if it even makes a difference in how to approach treating the PCOS.
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have recently (within the last month) come of hormonal BC and do not take Metformin. Since I have come off the BC, I have seen some of my symptoms return (my hair is shedding/falling out more often and bits of acne have popped back up). But, I did not like the BC I was on (my cycle still wasn't regular on the BC) and decided to come off of it and see if I could control things through diet and exercise. I recently also started taking the supplement vitex chasteberry, but haven't been taking it long enough to know yet if it will help regulating things. Time will tell, I suppose.
    According to blood work, it doesn't look as if I have insulin resistance and finding any information on PCOS without insulin resistance is pretty tough. I'm not sure if it even makes a difference in how to approach treating the PCOS.

*Sorry, it double posted for some reason.
  • toadoftoadhall
    toadoftoadhall Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone x