UnhealhyThoughts and eating

Options
GraceCamD
GraceCamD Posts: 128 Member
How do you get the thoughts out of your head, If I eat as little as possible I will lose weight? It has always worked for me in the past although my weight goes up and down....I've only been on here for a few days, but yesterday it said I ate 810 to little of calories.....It just seems normal diets don't work for me so the only way is to eat near to nothing...for example yesterdays menu-no breakfast, cottage cheese and pineapple for lunch, iternational light coffee drink for dinner and snack and one glass of orange juice, and I lost a lb since yesterday.....i want to be healthy but it does not work for me.......

Replies

• GraceCamD
    Options
    p.s. please add me if you think you have something in common with me and we could support each other, thanks!:happy:
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I guess for me, I know that when I restrict and skip meals, etc. then I simply end up binging later on. It's like I lose all control and my weight loss efforts completely back fire. My "trick" is to focus on nourishing my body with only healthy foods. Still not a mentally healthy approach, but it's the best I've got for now.
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Same here. I oscillate between feeling completely "recovered" and fall back into old habits again. The thoughts are always nagging at me that I can just lose 10 more pounds if I don't eat and then I'll go back to "normal" eating again.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I read an article once about eating disorder recovery that made a lot of sense to me, though I don't remember where I found it. It talked about how the eating disorder makes you believe that you are a "special metabolism unicorn," meaning you think you are somehow the exception to the rules of normal metabolism, healthy weight gain/loss, etc., when in reality, you aren't much different than anyone else. Believing that you can only lose weight if you starve yourself, or that you'll end up really fat if you eat normally, is your eating disorder talking. It's not true. You can eat a normal, healthy amount of calories and lose/maintain weight. I thought I was a special unicorn and when I was in treatment I absolutely refused to eat 2000 calories because I thought, "I can't maintain on that, my metabolism is slow, I have to eat less than that." I kept losing weight at 1500, 1750, 1900...finally bit the bullet and ate their 2000 calorie meal plan. 6 months later, I'm maintaining a BMI of 20 on 2700 calories per day. I'm not a special unicorn. My metabolism works like anyone else, and so does yours. Work your way up to a healthy intake, be patient, and be strong. You can do it!
  • GraceCamD
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragment! all the Dr's have told me I have ruined my metabolism from going up and down and up and down, then I just had to quit smoking and I read the average a person gains is 40lb when they quit smoking because smoking does make your metabolism faster so that is making me freak......then there is another thing I will not admit to anyone on here.......I know my thoughts are messed up......Ok, I am not sure If I ever had an eating disorder, read my history on my profile.......well After a pregnancy that left me at 180 when I was always around 100-110 I could not lose the weight no matter what i did.,.then I got a medical illness that left me unable to eat for days (ulcertive colitis) so the weight starting coming off, but then I would binge when I felt better because i was starving, then I would have another attack and the same thing would happen all over again. Then I got well from the illness and the pattern continued. Here's how I know my thoughts are messed up.....
    When I was fat I thought I was small (by the clothes I would buy)
    When I was small I thought I was fat
    I bought a book awhile back because I was worried my son had an eating disorder and he was obssessed with finding and reading this book called "letting ana go", it's an autobiography of a teenage girl that dies from aneroxia. So I buy it and read it, totally sad, even had the autopsy in the back, (it was her eating journal) but somehow it motivates me to start losing this last 15 lbs I have needed to lose....then like a week later.I feel like im unmotivated to lose, i read it again, kind of to get in her head see how she was so disiplined........i Just had a two day slump where I was not on here and did not count my calories and did not lose now I feel the need to read this book again, what the heck is wrong with me? this was a sad sick book :0
  • llaura888
    llaura888 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like this idea that we can consume a normal amount of calories, particularly from healthy, nutritious food sources, and not gain weight; that we can maintain a weight or even lose weight when eating normally. I've had a hard time believing this, but keep on hoping that it will sink in!
  • JULIEdance
    JULIEdance Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Quite similar here, but for me losing weight is just one part. The other, maybe even stronger part is that I don´t want to eat normally. No matter if I´m losing/gaining/maintaining, I hate the idea of eating 1200 on daily basis, I hate the idea of eating normal warm meals instead of what other would call "snacks" in most cases. I even hate thinking too much about healthy and nutricious choices, which doesn´t really make much sense. I am even able to "accept" occassional binging (which sometimes leads to purging) rather than accepting the idea of eating normally. I realize that this way of thinking is not healthy at all and I know I need to change it, but all I am able to do at the moment is not to let myself go too low and avoid the extremes.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i'm wondering the same thing, especially lately. it doesn't make sense to me that i should be averaging 1400-ish calories a day over the last 16 weeks, yet only have lost 10lbs. i see others who talk about having lost 3 or 4 times that in the same amount of time, and it kills me. i'm torn between being driven completely away from food entirely, and just wanting to say "FK IT ALL", and eat everything in sight.

i'm not a binger. i never have been in the past. part of me really, REALLY fears that if i let myself have even a weekend where i'm not caring about what i eat, 7 of those 10lbs will jump back onto me.
    I read an article once about eating disorder recovery that made a lot of sense to me, though I don't remember where I found it. It talked about how the eating disorder makes you believe that you are a "special metabolism unicorn," meaning you think you are somehow the exception to the rules of normal metabolism, healthy weight gain/loss, etc., when in reality, you aren't much different than anyone else. Believing that you can only lose weight if you starve yourself, or that you'll end up really fat if you eat normally,

you know, i'm actually starting to question this in myself. based on all the accepted calculations, i should be losing 1.3lbs per week, and on average i'm only at .75 lbs per week... wouldn't that indicate that something really IS screwed up with my metabolism? even my TDEE is coming out a lot lower than it should be considering my workout schedule (3-5 days a week, but the calculations are showing me at just above sedentary).