Tips and tricks for eating well at cons

Options
Abenstern
Abenstern Posts: 46 Member
So, I don't know about anyone else but I always have trouble making sure I eat well at cons. So let's get some ideas going for ways that you can eat better. I just think it might be helpful for everyone.

I know my weak spot is buying lots of Japanese candy, so I try and avoid that booth in the dealer's room.

Replies

• mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I think going in costume helped me a lot, and being part of a larger group with an agenda or list of things you're going to do. As part of the Resident Evil group of cosplayers there were about 15 Umbrella characters including myself who were walking around 'on patrol' and by the time Saturday was over I realised I hadn't eaten or drunk anything.

This is bad.

But - the happy medium this year will be making time to break and have a cup of tea every couple of hours and bring something to eat in one of my many pouches. I also try and stay in a hotel with a gym if I can and go for a walk at night. Plus taking into account that you are on your feet for 8 hours (more if you go to the after parties) that's also a lot of spare calories burned.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you do not have a nut allergy, bring trail mix - it's like superfuel for me at a con.
  • Abenstern
    Abenstern Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bring your own food, and skip the hotel breakfast because normally it's all high calorie foods.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I personally do not try as hard to eat well on major holidays and conventions. I prefer to exercise and eat well most days of the year so that I can pig out on special days. I just get right back on track the next day. I've learned not to be afraid to lose or gain weight. After all, I won't lose or gain a lot of weight in one day. The way I see it, I'll only live once, and I'll only be young once, so why shouldn't I allow myself some happy, calorie-counting-free days? A diet is supposed to be a lifestyle change. I know that special events will ALWAYS be a part of my life, so I must find ways incorporate conventions and holidays into my diet in a way that will make me happy even after I officially stop calling my diet a diet. Eating healthy year long is tiresome and not worth it imo. This is just my way of thinking. Just follow the advice that floats your boat the best.
  • Guerrillascribe
    Options
    If you do stay at a hotel that does offer an omelet bar, just make egg whites instead. It's lighter, more protein and you can fill up!
  • RedRita32
    RedRita32 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm going to the Phoenix comi con on Saturday and I'm not staying at a hotel cause it's by my apartment...but I was wondering what kinds of meals and snacks would be good to eat...thanks!
  • candirose69
    candirose69 Posts: 149
    Options
    I dunno about you guys in the USA but here i bearly get time to eat junk let alone real food hahahaha XD although I work at most of the ones i go to so that makes it even harder!!!

i try and have one decent meal and just relax with the rest of it, its one...or 6 weekends a year gotta still enjoy life!!
  • nekoyaz
    nekoyaz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on making some food like sandwiches and fruit and stuff to keep in my hotel room and bag to save money and eat better. Plus my friend who is sharing a room has a gluten allergy so we won't be able to eat out anyways