When I get home from work...

Options
llaura888
llaura888 Posts: 5 Member
I've noticed that the most difficult time for me i when I first get off work. My mind is buzzing with the chaos of the work day and my sugar level is usually low... I get home and my husband is still at work; I'm home alone for about 2-3 hours... So, I head straight to the kitchen with the intention of cooking dinner for us and have such a strong feeling of depression and angst at this point... I want to consume and fill myself with rich, satisfying content... Sometimes I end up binging... and then purging. Sometimes I end up drinking alcohol to ease my anxiety... This can happen even after a day of regular, nutritious meals... I've tried going to the gym or even going to acupuncture (to treat anxiety) before going home with the hope of lifting my spirits and focusing my energy in a healthy direction, but this doesn't always help. I'm wondering if anyone has tips for handling "down time" after a busy day a work or time when you're on your own and feel so tempted to listen to the negative urges.

Thanks,
L

Replies

• Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    This is an area I struggle with as well. I practice, to the best of my ability, opposite to emotion skill. I do not shove the emotion away. I acknowledge it and continue to do what is best for me in spite of it. Obviously some days are better than others. If I have a day where the decisions were not what I thought should be spot on I give myself a break. Another thing I do is not having very much in the way of ready-to-eat food. My prepared food is frozen fruits and vegetables and yogurt, anything else I have to fix - this slows me down from going nuts on the fridge forcing more time to pass before I can ingest.
  • JULIEdance
    JULIEdance Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I often have dance after work, but I often have my downs after practice or even during the day when I feel sleepy and low in energy. I live on my own and don´t have to cook, so it´s easier in some way, but I sometimes struggle and end up binging and purging too. Sometimes it helps to have a cup light soy milk with a half teaspoon of instant coffee (there´s a thing with an aroma of caramel or vanilla - absolutely awesome!), add a little bit of stevia, heat it. Delicious, satisfying and definitely less kcals than I would quite likely have instead. I sit and take take some time off and only do things aroudn food and kitchen when I feel calmer.
  • llaura888
    llaura888 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions. I will definitely try to have some "safe" alternatives on hand, like the fruits and veggies or a warm drink. :)
  • nilushi
    nilushi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    llaura888 wrote: »
    I've noticed that the most difficult time for me i when I first get off work. My mind is buzzing with the chaos of the work day and my sugar level is usually low... I get home and my husband is still at work; I'm home alone for about 2-3 hours... So, I head straight to the kitchen with the intention of cooking dinner for us and have such a strong feeling of depression and angst at this point... I want to consume and fill myself with rich, satisfying content... Sometimes I end up binging... and then purging. Sometimes I end up drinking alcohol to ease my anxiety... This can happen even after a day of regular, nutritious meals... I've tried going to the gym or even going to acupuncture (to treat anxiety) before going home with the hope of lifting my spirits and focusing my energy in a healthy direction, but this doesn't always help. I'm wondering if anyone has tips for handling "down time" after a busy day a work or time when you're on your own and feel so tempted to listen to the negative urges.

Thanks,
    L

OMG... U ARE READING MY MIND... I go through the same thing. I come home after a good day of great nutritious eating, and then it comes.. Sugar need sugar need sugar. And I go on a full on eating spree.. Wish I just could stop
  • Amybcb
    Amybcb Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think having a good therapist to talk to would be very beneficial. They help you to make good choices, healthy choices instead of treating the anxiety with alcohol or binge/purge. Plus you could schedule it for right after work during that hard time. A therapist will help you determine why you are getting the anxiety at that time and ways to deal with it in a helpful manner. Good luck.