Anyone doing the Zone diet?

Options
toffee2013
toffee2013 Posts: 344 Member
My coach recommended this eating plan and after looking at many websites, my brain has turned to mush! At the moment I'm just trying to get carbs/protein/fat with every meal/snack... I'm confused with the blocks thing. I really want to follow this eating plan as my current eating plan is not helping me shred anything.

Replies

• notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I don't "follow" zone, but I do think this is an easy way to understand it when using My Fitness Pal:

Go to: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Step 1, Entering your Stats and choosing the Lean Mass Formula and exercise level

Step 2: Assuming you want to lose weight, look at the "Fat Loss" column, and select either a 15% reduction or 20% depending on your goal.

Step 3: Under common plan, select Zone Diet, hit calculate

This will calculate how many grams P/C/F per meal and totals per day. This is the same thing as "blocks" just using P/C/F numbers which is easier to track in MFP.

Good Luck!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    My coach told me to go on Zone too and I said, nope I'm doing Eat to Perform. We argued about it and I continued on ETP for the last 6 months since the argument, and yesterday he said, "Has anyone mentioned anything to you about your body composition? You look ripped. It's a crazy transformation!" Haha. I win.

https://www.facebook.com/EatToPerform?ref=br_tf if you're interested.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    new ripped photos needed! :)

Once I get near my target weight I'm going to have to give ETP a try.
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    +1 to Eat to Perform. It's the only way I've been able to stay leaner and have all my lifts go up :) Plus mentally its way better than paleo or zone, which I've done both and all I do is think about food constantly. I feel like I have a much healthier attitude toward food following ETP.
  • toffee2013
    Options
    I'll give that a go then. My coach just mentioned it, didn't push it on me or anything. I am thinking of food constantly!!!! lol
  • shaypearl
    shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I don't "follow" zone, but I do think this is an easy way to understand it when using My Fitness Pal:

Step 1, Entering your Stats and choosing the Lean Mass Formula and exercise level

Step 2: Assuming you want to lose weight, look at the "Fat Loss" column, and select either a 15% reduction or 20% depending on your goal.

This will calculate how many grams P/C/F per meal and totals per day. This is the same thing as "blocks" just using P/C/F numbers which is easier to track in MFP.

Good Luck!

That site made it so much easier for me to understand IIFYM. To me it was like IIFM for dummies.
  • toffee2013
    Options

Good Luck!

Thanks so much for this .
  • hmanley66
    Options
    I just started Zone last Thursday, already seeing results. It is definitely not the easiest transition, but if you are already eating the right foods, it helps.

I have always been so frustrated that I eat so many raw foods, salads, lean proteins, etc, and I have a very hard time losing weight. My BMR is over 2200 calories, and I work out 5 days a week, so of course I was stumped. Starting zone, I realized I was way overeating on fats, protein, and carbs.
  • jimvic37
    Options
    I just started Zone last Thursday, already seeing results. It is definitely not the easiest transition, but if you are already eating the right foods, it helps.

I have always been so frustrated that I eat so many raw foods, salads, lean proteins, etc, and I have a very hard time losing weight. My BMR is over 2200 calories, and I work out 5 days a week, so of course I was stumped. Starting zone, I realized I was way overeating on fats, protein, and carbs.

So are you having trouble with figuring portion sizes etc. That is what has always kept me from doing the zone although I've wanted to for a long time now. I've also considered Eat To Perform as well.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I tried to enter my stats into the calculator listed below but when I enter calculate it is asking me to enter my protein, fat grams - I have no idea, what should I enter?
  • hmanley66
    Options
    jimvic37 wrote: »

So are you having trouble with figuring portion sizes etc. That is what has always kept me from doing the zone although I've wanted to for a long time now. I've also considered Eat To Perform as well.

With Zone I now realize that I was previously eating incorrect portions. Zone is great if you are already eating pretty healthy, but you want to refine how much you are eating. On Zone, I learned that I didn't need as much protein, fats, or carbs to succeed in my workouts/everyday life.

It has now been a week (as of tomorrow), and I have definitely noticed a change in how much I am eating, how my performance is improving on my WODs, and how much better I feel throughout the day.
  • shaypearl
    shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Mummyadams wrote: »
    I tried to enter my stats into the calculator listed below but when I enter calculate it is asking me to enter my protein, fat grams - I have no idea, what should I enter?

Hello @Mummyadams

This is information I received from the EAT,TRAIN,PROGRESS group that I am in. The moderators there give great advice so I wanted to share. I would suggest you continue to do research but this is what helped me set my goals.

SETTING MACRO TARGETS:

There are 4 macronutrients. A high level explanation of each of their functions is:

Protein, which is required for muscle retention/growth
    Fat, which is required for healthy body functions
    Carbs, which provide energy
    Alcohol, which provides for embarrassing photos

Macronutrient goals should really not be based on percentages, but on grams which vary depending on your size and activity levels.

We would recommend, as a rule of thumb, the following:

1g of protein per lb of LBM as a minimum target

0.35g of fat per lb of total body weight as a minimum target

The balance can fall where you wish, taking into account performance, satiety and adherence.

Note: the above protein minimum assumes that you are on a deficit, are undertaking moderate exercise and do not have a significantly low or significantly high body fat percentage. It also assumes that you have no pre-existing medical condition that would require a lower intake.

At a very low body fat percentage or with highly intensive workouts a slightly higher amount of protein is recommended.

Conversely, at a very high body fat percentage or with no or little exercise, a slightly lower amount of protein is acceptable.

Also, at a high BF%, the fats recommendation can be decreased. If you have specific questions about this, please feel free to ask us for our input.

When you have determined the minimum grams of protein and fat, you can calculate the corresponding percentages based on your calorie target to input into MFP. Protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram and fat has 9 calories per gram. Note that MFP only allows 5% increments so you will need to pick the one nearest your desired target.

For example, say someone is 150 lbs with a BF% of 20% on a 2,000 calorie target. Note, a 20% body fat means that someone has a 80% lean body mass (LBM) as LBM is everything except fat (muscle, water, organs, tissue, etc). Their macros in grams would be:

Protein: 1 x 150 x 0.8 (LBM) = 120g x 4 calories = 480 calories divided by 2,000 (calorie target) = 24% - round up to 25%
    Fat: 0.35 x 150 = 53.5g x 9 calories = 473 calories divided by 2,000 = 24% - round up to 25%
    Carbs: balance of 50%
    Remember, protein and fats are minimums and so do not worry about going over on these, carbs would be the variable in this case and you would be under on that macro in order to meet your calorie target.
    //*****************************************************************************************************

And finally, this is a link I stumbled upon with some really good info. It gave me a better understanding of pretty much everything. http://www.simplesciencefitness.com/

I hope this helps a little. Good luck.
  • notyouraveragetalia
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Mummyadams wrote: »

If you select Zone under "Common Plans" column it will automatically default to 30/40/30
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    nope - when I choose Zone it is still asking me enter my .7 , .8 or .9 grams per lb of lean mass and the same with my carbs. really not sure how to enter this?
  • notyouraveragetalia
    Options
    Hmm not sure Mummyadams...went back and it changes over from IIFYM to Zone and with it the ratios for me. Did you try "Enter your own Ratio" and enter 30/40/30?