The Danger Zone

Options
dcc56
dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
I've been struggling. Over the last week or so I had some old habits come back....and I felt a little bit out of control. I felt like I entered the Danger Zone so easy with over-eating and bad choice making. I guess I might have felt that I had lost a bunch of weight and I did a lot of sacrificing so I somehow was starting to convince myself that I somehow "deserved" more "treats". Since I have been going to the gym (eight times last month, once so far this month) I told myself that I was doing pretty good and some "treats" wouldn't hurt...crappy food during football games...mindless eating. Well, at least I recognize my "issues". I've come so far, how could I even think about "letting myself go" even for a little while. I find the whole thing troubling to deal with. I keep asking myself why I do this to myself. Sorry to whine on a Monday but somehow I knew you might understand. OK, enough said, I'm moving on now and I've learned from this experience. Thanks for your support.

Replies

• Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Course corrections happen. You are human. The good news is that you are able to recognize the need for a change and then commit to changing-- YAY! I have to remind myself often that a "treat" is no longer a "treat" when eaten regularly-- at that point it becomes a habit! Something that has helped me is to have a planned "day off"-- a day when I eat as I please, no counting, no worries-- but JUST ONE DAY. Usually one day every 3-4 weeks. This is NOT for everyone-- some people find if they get off track for one day, then they stay that way for several days or even weeks.

The other thing that helps me to make healthier choices is to ask myself "What am I committed to?". Am I committed to self gratifcation? Am I committed to soothing the stresses of a long, hard week by indulging on the weekend? Am I committed to my health and to eating nutritiously and in accordance with my dr.'s guidelines? You see where I am going here--- I cannot say I am committed to my health and eat crap-- just can't do it.

Another thing that has helped me--- if I do "jump ship" and eat something "indulgent", I DO NOT say "what the hell" and just keep eating all kinds of bad stuff. Immediately, I get back on track-- drinking my water, counting cals., no grazing,etc. That has really helped me avoid doing a lot of damage at once.

This is all part of the journey. If we already knew how to lose weight and keep it off, we would not have needed to have surgery. You are doing great. Keep being intentional and mindful! :flowerforyou:
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    My Doctor was so helpful with his story of nutritional food and the mouse brain that we have that allows us to chose poorly. Do we need the treats for nutrition or is it our mouse brain telling us to enjoy? Log every thing you eat, and allow your self a treat now and then, but no more that 1 meal or snack 1 day a week! You will look forward to your Treat day, satisfy the mouse brain, let it go and get back to nutritional food.

It is weird but I love sweets, or I used to, now I can't stand it. I don't allow my self any sweets and my new favorite is Crab! I savor Crab like I used to savor Ice cream and cookies. I also love the feeling of wearing smaller clothes!
    I also workout most days. Days I don't go to the gym I hike, or walk the nature trails in our area.

Dont beat yourself up for having a treat day, get back on track and continue on your journey. Get back to the gym!
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I totally understand that- my biggest fear is gaining it all back. My apitite is back and that scares me sometimes. I try to be mindful when I fear the danger zone eating coming on..and now that songs going to be stuck in my head all day.
  • ve7jne
    ve7jne Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting your experience. I felt poorly all weekend and went out and bought junk food. Chocolate and pastry are my downfall. I overindulged yesterday and have been beating myself up about it. I feel better today and ,with all of your help, will be back on track.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Been there!

I give you a MOUNTAIN of credit for recognizing this issue, seeing where you are and what you are doing, and making a conscious decision to change direction. That is half of the battle, my friend!

Don't beat yourself up too badly about what you've done (because, what's done is done!).

Focus on today, then tomorrow and then the day after. Congratulate yourself on changing your direction. Congratulate yourself after every healthy meal, every exercise session, every temptation averted. Be proud of your accomplishments. Focus on the positive: how good it feels to make good choices and see the fruit of your labor. You will be training your brain to make you a healthier person and it will get easier to make good choices.

Best of luck to you :)
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Take whatever junk food you have left in the house and throw it out!! You all are worth a healthy life!! Last night I wanted something sweet, I don't know why, but I really wanted something sweet. I made some sugar free pudding and it helped, my husband has some candy and I ignored it, satisfied myself with the pudding. WE WILL WIN this time!!!
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    Yes my appetite is coming back too and I am finding myself in conflict more and more often. However, I remind myself that 100 pound is a lot to lose and it is a hell of a lot to put back on. I have horses and if I need a reminder of how much that actually is, I go and try to lift two 20kg bags of horse feed. I cannot do it. My husband reminded me of that one day when I was walking around our lake and questioning things. He asked me if I could walk the 6km with two bags of feed on my back? I wouldn't get more than a few meters. How did my body survive that? Lots to think about. We forget too easily some days.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    As long as food is a 'treat' you'll be 'going off the wagon.' When it becomes fuel, the temptations will fade.

You can pretty much eat what you want. You have a small, misshapen stomach. So you have to fill it with stuff that will keep you alive and healthy. you can also fill it with stuff that will make you sick and miserable. the choice remains yours.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Snacking is my downfall. I'm rarely hungry, so snacking is really mindless eating for me. What helps is not having snack stuff in the house and by snack stuff I'm talking mainly crackers. I can take or leave popcorn, but salty crackers are hard for me to leave alone. That's the bad habit that comes back to bite me. Like I said, it's just best to keep the things that tempt us out of the house and treat ourselves with something that we don't eat like a new CD or a smaller sized piece of clothing.
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've been trying the Wheat Thins Fiber Select crackers that my clinic recommended. They have extra fiber which I really need...I only eat a half of a portion, about 7 crackers I think...and I bag them up in a Zip Lock snack sized bag. I can still have a small treat that way but it works out to be a low calorie choice. This variety is harder to find. I try hard to be very careful about what I buy for the house, I do agree that keeping them out helps me.
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This scares me terribly. My father and sister both had bypass - and have gained more than 40lbs back. I so don't want to be in that position. It's best for me to keep the crap outta the house. I try hard - but this scares me about post-op life.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    This is why I weigh every day. I had fried chicken livers and onion rings this wkend and didn't quite get in as much exercise. I knew my wt would be up when I got home and weighed, yep, up 2 lbs. restaurant food blows me right up with salt and I didn't cook any food this wkend. But Monday is back to regular scheduled exercise and food. This happens about every 3 wks. I don't expressly treat myself with food, but if at a fine restaurant with a unique option I don't deny myself. I had to explain to the waitress that the food was fabulous when she became concerned that the I wasn't eating. I had already had 1/4 of a platter of food!! I was happy to see that today I was able to throw out the remaining lb of onion rings with no emotional attachment. I am far more attached to my size 4 pants than any food on the planet now.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Boomerkae, I am also terrified of regaining. I have 2 sisters and 2 cousins who did bypass and all but one have regained most if not all. That example is what keeps me on the straight and narrow most of the time, because we can outeat any of the WLSs, this one included. I tend to "treat" myself these days with non-food items. My father always said "a little fear breeds respect", so I'm going to hang on to my fear of regaining so it will keep me respecting my sleeved tummy and the lifelong lifestyle I now have.

Pat
  • Cathiesunday
    Cathiesunday Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your great insights. I'm 5 weeks out and my weight loss has already slowed down. I worry that this won't work for me and I'll be eating 700 calories a day for the rest of my life and never lose any weight. I know it's irrational, but that's how I feel. I had undiagnosed Graves disease for most of my adult life and was always gaining and losing weight with no relation to how much or what I was eating so I don't trust my body (I had radioactive ablation and don't have an active thyroid anymore). So, it's good to hear that you all have had your doubts and challenges, too. It helps to have a place to come for support.
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    CathieSunday, please trust the sleeve, even if you don't trust the rest of your body right now. The sleeve is the 'new improved' part of your body and so right now do not judge it by the failure of the other bits in the past. It works as long you do, I promise. I think most of us go through our 'doubting days' when we first slow down or hit a stall. Trust the sleeve and trust yourself.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Those irrational fears creep up after a lifetime of weight loss failure.
  • elifusa
    elifusa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Oh yea they do. I'm kinda freaking out right now that I am about two weeks post op and I have a stall...like really dude?
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Every time I don't lose a pound, I start to worry that maybe I've lost my last pound with the sleeve, like that's all that it's gonna do and now I have to start busting my butt as much as I was before surgery (I was literally exercising myself into the hospital). I am terrified of failing the sleeve. I'm not so scared of gaining weight back but I am terrified of never actually getting anywhere (not that 60 lbs is anything to laugh at). It really is the fear from a lifetime of weight loss failure. For me, that is far harder to let go of than any irrational attachment to food.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    When I focus on what I am afraid of, I attract the very thing I do not want. What I "feed", grows. If I feed my fear by focusing on how scared I am to gain weight back or stop losing weight, then I am increasing the chances that will be the outcome. If instead, I affirm that I will make good choices, I will eat mindfully, I will exercise regularly, and I will nourish my body and mind, then my energy and focus will bring that to pass.
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for posting on this thread. I've been in a weird place lately battling a lot of these same feelings and perhaps some self-destructive behaviors. It helps somewhat to realize I'm not alone.