New Pumps

Options
okulyd
okulyd Posts: 147 Member
Anyone like the new pumps? I use Medtronic revel now (523) but am eligible for a new pump next Wednesday. I was planning to just upgrade to the new Medtronic Veo (I was one of the participants in the trials so I've used it before) but thought I should do some research on other options before I just get the same old thing.

Those who use animas or tslim do you have any issues with infusion sets? Would you recommend these? Any other pumps recommended? I know there are a lot and I haven't done any research yet.

I am very hard on my pumps and need one with good customer service and quick replacement. Medtronic sends me a new pump just about every 6 months now.

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Isn't the Veo system only available in the UK and Ireland? My understanding is that they could not get FDA approval in the US, but the 530G is very similar and they sell that in the US along with the Enlite CGM. In fact, I'm not even sure what the difference would be between the Veo and the 530G except maybe the name...

I currently use the Revel also (723) with sof-sensors. Personally, I've heard a lot of bad things about enlites (and sof-sensors are even worse). To be fair, most of the enlite users I hear complaining do not seem to understand basic CGM concepts like the difference between SG and BG, when to calibrate, etc. I hear a lot of good things about Dexcom CGM's, but it isn't enough for me to carry separate devices that speak different languages.

As far as infusion sets, I've used a few different brands of pumps over the years (have used Minimed, Deltec, and Roche) and one thing I do not like about Minimed is their proprietary infusion sets. I'm not sure what all is available for luer lock sets, but I also know that since Minimed makes 85% of the pumps sold in the US, they have to have options for different infusion sets for a diverse set of customers.
  • okulyd
    Options
    I'm using Enlite sensors with the 523. The veo is what the 530g was called when I was in the trial. Sorry for the confusion. If I pick Medtronic it will be the 530g. Same pump as the 523 but has the additional option of shutting off based on the sensor reading automatically for 2 hours.

When I tested this feature I found that it was not significant. I say not significant because when I am going low I need eat, turning my pump off for two hours doesn't do enough, quickly enough. Usually that's because the low is caused by too much exercise or too much bolus. It would be helpful if the low was caused by my basals but I usually correct them before they would cause a low that I can't treat myself.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Sure, I get that. Personally, the Thresh Suspend feature is really not that important to me and I don't even really consider it to be a significant advantage. Maybe they will get the pump with CGM, insulin, and glucagon soon... to function just like a real pancreas. :happy:
  • okulyd
    Options
    :smile: I hope so!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm using the T:Slim with the inset infusion site. With the pump, I have had no issues, but I have been experiencing bent cannula issues if I place my site in certain spots (mainly on my hips) during site changes. The bent cannula somehow makes my pump think that it is receiving insulin, but I do not know there is an issue with my site until I notice a 200 BG with moderate ketones.

If you're very impatient, the T:Slim loading process takes forever and a day because of the micro-delivery technology. It's nice being able to bolus to the .01 unit (with a minimum bolus of .05), but the same technology causes the tubing fill process to take a while.
  • carolinatx
    carolinatx Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have been on the medtronic minimed, animas ping and Insulet Omnipod and I prefer the Omnipod far and away above the others. I think key features are the same from one pump to the next, but the tubeless feature of the omnipod is what Iove and I would never want to go back to being tubed and having to clip something on my belt again.

Call it vane, I know some look at it that way, but to me - it was being able to be a girl again - to wear a dress and not have to figure out where to stick the darn thing or how to dose insulin at dinner when wearing a floor length formal, or taking it off for each shower or swimming and remembering to put it back on and the effects of no insulin during that time and/or if I forgot. To sleep and not have to worry about the tubing or having somewhere to clip it. To not have to take it off when trying on clothes in the fitting room or worry about ripping it off. To not have to worry about catching the tubing when I walk past a door handle or take my pants up and down. And to honestly, feel pretty damn normal again.

I was worried about the size of it, but it hides so well in your natural curves and it's so comfortable and for workouts, I love it because there's nothing bouncing on an elastic waistband while I run. I highly recommend it, feel free to pm me if you want to ask any questions. And they used to, I assume they still do, send you a test pod so you could see how it felt wearing it on your skin.

Side note -I saw the tslim at a JDRF meeting recently and it seemed pretty nice - flat, but longer than others. Touch screen was nice and unlike the cell phones we all carry, the shiny phone-line screen was pretty indestructible. He threw it on the floor and rapped it against the back of a chair a couple of times and no shattering or cracking. It's funny he addressed that because that was my first thought when I saw the pretty, touchscreen look (having shattered a few phone screens in my past)

Good luck deciding!