Coffee question....

Options
Question about coffee. I thought I'd ask the experts since we all seem to have gotten different info from our doctors.

My doctor told me I needed to cut out caffeine/coffee for 6 months post op. When I asked why, I was told that coffee makes you hungry. Made sense at the time and I don't usually question doctors but since the part of my stomach that makes me hungry was removed, the arguement doesn't make sense anymore.

What really is the harm with coffee (other than it being a diuretic) ? I really miss it and I'm an evil witch without it! Decaf just doesn't cut it with me.

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I think in addition to coffee being a diuretic, it's also highly acidic and could be an irritant while you are healing. For some people, coffee does make them hungry, for others it doesn't. I started having coffee again after 6 months and it didn't have any affect on my appetite. Everyone is different though.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Coffee actually isn't a diuretic -- at least not any more than any other fluid. Unfortunately I can't post links here, but if you Google it you'll see good information and recent studies posted by the Mayo Clinic, NY Times, BBC, etc. showing that coffee is not a diuretic.
    My team wanted me to give it up for six months since it is a gastric irritant. I didn't last that long to be honest. I've done really well at following their instructions but I failed on that one.
  • naprestsleep
    naprestsleep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The team here says 6oz caffeine a day (they mean coffee, cause 6oz of pure caffeine would be bad, lol). Their explanation is that the caffeine is the gastric irritant, not the coffee. Therefore you can drink all the decaf you want.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Per my surgeon, caffeine irritates the lining of the stomach, so that's why prior to surgery they tell us to wean off the regular and stay off until we are healed. This is true because even now, 3 years post op, I will get a stomach ache from plain regular coffee. A little cream is all I need to avoid that and since I'm addicted, I build it into my calories for the day. Anyway, like I said, I am 3 years out and have been back on regular since about 6 months post-op. It doesn't make me hungry or act as a diueretic for me. Everyone reacts differently though, so follow what your doctor tells you.

PS - I can tell the difference in taste between regular and decaf. Some people can't, but personally I prefer the taste of regular coffee over decaff, which is why I switched back once the doctor gave me the all clear.

Pat
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I started to add some coffee at four months and now drink it regularly. Honestly I love coffee and am very glad I am able to control my diet without difficulty. However you must make sure to log in any cream or sugar you add to your coffee to help avoid hidden calories.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Once I got my Nov. 10 surgery date last week, I have started weaning down on caffeine. I'm currently mixing 2/3 Regular with 1/3 Decaf. I do have lingering headaches if I don't take in enough caffeine but I knew that would be part of the process of caffeine withdrawal as I've had these headaches before. I don't smoke and rarely have alcohol but don't take away my coffee. lol. I'm gonna be a bear by the time I start the 2 week liquid fast (only Diabetic Boost) for 2 weeks on Oct. 26th.
    I sure hope I don't have to wait 6 months to have real coffee as it is one of my favorite things and it's hard to for me to start my day without it. I know it's a small price to pay and that it's well worth it, but I sure hope I can resume having a few cups of regular coffee once I am healed enough.
  • pawoodhull
    Options
    Relentless, weaning yourself as you are should work well. I did the same thing and had no headaches or withdrawl at all. And it didn't make me crabby either as I got used to the lack of caffeine gradually. Hang in there. Once healed you can go back to the good stuff as long as you log it and any creamer/sweetner. The calories do count towards your daily goals. :D
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging words pawoodhull. I am used to drinking very strong coffee so even cutting down the caffeine by 1/3 is a significant difference for me. I like drinking non-caffeinated tea at night with lemon juice and Splenda but really need that coffee start in the AM.
    I have a question for you. It is Syntrax Nectar that makes the Cappuccino flavor? Does it have caffeine in it?
    What were your favorite flavors of Syntrax Nectar in early recovery. I'm thinking of the juice flavors as I already have Premier Protein Chocolate and I love Muscle Mlk too. I hear the Atkins shakes & protein bars are really good products.
    I would appreciate any advice you have to offer if you wanna post or message me privately. Thanks very much.
  • renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    relentless - I love, love, LOVE Syntrax Nectar Cappuccino Latte. I have it every day, I mix one packet (I buy it in the grab & go packs) into 8 oz of decaf coffee and fill the cup with ice, It's amazing and a great way to get in your protein. And it's caffeine free :)
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You can't have coffee after surgery. You will feel yucky enough, you don't need the caffeine headache on top of it.

Figure out the coffee after you've healed. Your tastes will totally change and you may feel so good being off the caffeine, you may not want to revisit the addiction. You may not like coffee so much after the surgery. I stayed off it. I don't want anything messing with my appetitie. Sometimes I want a cup. Like once every few weeks. Everything changes in the months after surgery, so don't worry about what you can and you can't eat. You're going to find that stuff you really want you don't want anymore, or doesn't taste as good as you remembered.

It all changes.
  • pawoodhull
    Options
    Authorwriter is right. You won't want to try coffee until you're healed, so wait for your doctor's OK. For me it was all about the taste. I had no problems being without the caffiene, but missed the taste of real coffee. As I said, it upsets my tummy a little so I build the creamer into my calories for the day so I can a cup or two. It's my trade off for something I still love.

Relentless, you already got yout answer about the Syntrax Cappuccino. It is caffiene free and I love it! I haven't tried mixing it with my coffee though. Might make a good creamer sub! I will have to try that!
  • itsdreday
    itsdreday Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I did decaf after 2 months and started back in with 1/2 caf after my 6 month appointment. It was less about taste/habit/caffeine and more about doing something to feel "normal" again.
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I discovered the Half-Caff coffee by Folgers and my clinic has approved it for me, just a cup or so per day. It's not bad but not as good as regular coffee. I've come to learn that half-caff options are out there even in the K-Cup variety but I have not tried them. Folgers Half-Caff is more expensive too but I guess that's the way it is. Be sure to check with your clinic before you try this coffee. I treat myself to the real thing about once a month...from a coffee shop when I order what is knows as the Northern Lite Latte from Caribou. It is wonderful!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    For me coffee is a real appetite killer. When head hunger strikes hard I just make a latte with the carbmaster high protein milk. That way i hydrate and fortify my protein. I was off coffee for only a little while after surg. Didn't want it. I also don't drink coffee when I am sick, I want herbal tea then.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I was told, among the other things mentioned here that caffeine leeches the calcium from the body. We already have decreased absorption with less stomach tissue and must take supplements for the rest of our lives so it is best to limit or eliminate caffeine.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE coffee-- LOVE IT.... but I detoxed off of caffeine before surgery and do not want to have to do that again, so I drink decaf now-- but I still drink a lot (probably too much... trying to alternate with herbal tea these days but it is tough!).
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I go back to the doctor in a few weeks for my 3 month post op so I'll talk to him then. I really miss my coffee! Other than spicy foods, I haven't has any issues at all with my pouch.
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    I drink more coffee than I ever did before surgery. Started at about 2 months I guess. My husband notices the coffee jar going down much more rapidly nowadays.
    I guess I don't drink fizzy drinks or juice and so coffee is it for me. Hated it as a kid and young adult. Love love love it now.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    No one told me to stay away from coffee, just to limit it. I assume it is because coffee is acidic and can be irritating, but I've never heard that it makes you hungry. Usually, drinking any liquid, including coffee, decreases my hunger temporarily, so that surprises me.
  • MistyHiker
    MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    renovagirl wrote: »
    relentless - I love, love, LOVE Syntrax Nectar Cappuccino Latte. I have it every day, I mix one packet (I buy it in the grab & go packs) into 8 oz of decaf coffee and fill the cup with ice, It's amazing and a great way to get in your protein. And it's caffeine free :)

I love this idea! I've had the Cappuccino flavor and I loved it.