^^^ I hate that picture up there - of the abdomen injection

Options
2»

Replies

• vickicutshall
    vickicutshall Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I think a lot of us over-tested when starting cgm--both out of curiosity and also to be "right on." You get over that once there is good trust with whichever cgm you're using. Technically, you can TEST as often as your pocketbook can handle, but you only want to CALIBRATE 3-4x/day with Enlite and 2-3x/day with Dexcom. They really help see the speed and direction of the BG and I've had really good luck with fine-tuning using both. I saw Medtronic has a dual device out in Europe. I suppose the FDA won't think that's safe enough for us for years. I am now old enough I guess I'm less resistant to the real estate lost for cgm, since it's helping so much to manage my insulin usage. What I'd like to see is being able to see my trend line and log info on my phone. My bet is DexCom will get to market on something like that first.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm still using the Minimed 723 (Revel) and Sof-Sensors.

I've had type 1 for almost 20 years, and I've been pumping for over 10 years now, starting with the Minimed 708 and I have used Smith's and the Accu-Chek pumps before coming back to Minimed.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Dexcom CGM's both in terms of accuracy and just that the sensors last longer than the Enlite's. However, I really like that Minimed's CGM is integrated to the pump (so I don't have as much to carry around). If Dexcom had an Android app and could connect via bluetooth, then I would just need to carry my phone and pump - which I'm already doing.

This is all great stuff, though, and is a long ways from what was available when I was first diagnosed. But it still isn't a cure. I keep hearing things about some progress on a cure (most recently, encapsulated transplanted beta cells that are protected from our immune response for up to 2 years, so one could be cured for awhile), but it is a long ways away.
  • KatieMcCakes
    KatieMcCakes Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Medtronic Paradigm 523 here... Old dinosaur model, so I have a tube to deal with. College life is so much easier with the pump than it would be on injections- been on the pump for 14 years, starting at age six. Good luck all!
  • carolinatx
    carolinatx Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Have those of you on Dexcom CGM heard of the NightScout app? I heard it's an app that you can synch with the dexcom and get the readings on your phone. i.e. if a parent wants to send their kid to a friend's house to spend the night, they can see the readings on this app and call the parent or go to the house if there's a problem with the readings. I don't think it's partnered with Dexcom really as the Dex rep knew nothing about it but a couple of people there thought it was the best thing ever.

I have no experience with it, but wanted to share. Vicki - I thought it might give you that trend line on your phone that you were looking for - not sure.