In shock. Checked cals in soup and were really high

Options
In future, I will be checking the calories on the menu of chain restaurants before I go.

I went to Ricky's All Day Grill (local chain) today and got Tomato Basil soup and garlic bread. 1194 calories for the soup and 641 for the bread!!!:mad: With breakfast, I am 251 kcal over and I have not had dinner yet. I will have to really watch my calories for the next 2 days to make up for this.

Replies

• p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I was surprised, so I looked at the website. If the garlic bread came with the soup I think it was included in the 1194 calories. Because the portion for the meal is a little less than double the serving size of the bowl. Which should of made it around 300 calories less.
    Still that is a huge hit for a bowl of tomato soup!!!
  • leannabseven
    leannabseven Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    When we go out, I try to stick with chain restaurants (won't be doing much of that in this small town), but generally, I do this...and I decide ahead of time what I'll order. When we get to the restaurant, I don't look at the menu and if I neglect to tell the server not to bring bread, the Mister will help me out by saying so. ;)
  • leannabseven
    leannabseven Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I was surprised to find the salads and soups, while sounding like the healthier choice, often are not when eating out.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I do the same as leannabseven. Before we go out, I look at the menu of the restaurant we are going to and pick out a few things that I might be in the mood for and make notes on my phones of the calorie content (most restaurants post their nutrition online somewhere). If something happens and we don't go to that restaurant, I never order blind- I tell the waiter we need more time and pull out my phone and figure out those calories before ordering!
    You'll be fine, just get back on track. You're right, that is an INSANE amount of calories for a bowl of soup. Yay, America :)
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Wow, almost a full days calories in soup and bread. Gotta love it. I would guess this was a cream based soup, those are to be avoided in general as the calorie count can be so high. If going with soups always try to stick with broth based soups.

What often confounds me when dining out is the amount of sodium in everything. While I don't have the edema problems I had at my highest weights, I still have to be pretty careful about sodium intake.

Rack this up as a learning experience and move forward! The worst thing you can do is get upset with yourself and talk yourself into believing this is too hard.

LeAnna, go with the Grilled Gila Monster. That's always safe! <tic> ;-)