Newbie with question- Almost 3 weeks post-op

Options
ginawilli
ginawilli Posts: 4 Member
This Thursday will be 3 weeks since having my surgery. I struggle on a daily basis to get all of the water and protein in. Will this get better with time? I am a very disciplined person and big rule follower. On some days it took so long to get this all in I wouldn't get enough rest after surgery because I needed to stay up and get the fluids in. I went back to work yesterday and am worried that its going to get even harder. With my job I am always on the move. I've been carrying my water with me everywhere, but when I can only have a small sip it presents many challenges getting it all in! I absolutely despise protein drinks, due to the fact that I did optifast for several months, back when Oprah did it and lost all that weight. Just the idea of a shake turns my stomach! I am drinking Nectar protein, which is more like a juice consistency. I do feel fortunate that I have NO issues with any negative side effects and am thrilled with this decision! I have had good results so far losing 12lbs week 1, and 5lbs week 2. I appreciate all of your posts! This has been a great resource for me to learn information. With my program we can only eat 3 times a day, no snacks. I was hoping to get more protein in my pureed meals, but since I can eat so little that is not happening. I feel like it would be a bit of a relief to not have to drink the protein, taking up more drinking time. I would appreciate any feedback from all of you with experience.

Replies

• Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi, do you count your protein drinks in your liquid allowance? Anything you drink counts, including tea and coffee. I may be misinterpreting you but thought I would check. My surgeon's info says 1.5litres a day, 100ml an hour but it does say to include all your fluids.

I think you can add protein powders to a pureed meal that will increase the protien without a dramatic increase in volume. you can also research different prodructs and brands of food you can eat. Just as an example there are several different brands of no fat greek strained yoghurt but some pro(ducts have around 7g of protein in a tub while the best we have available here in Australia has 17g per in a tub.

I am sure there will be plenty who can give extra advice, hope this helps.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    It will get easier after 6 wks. I used kroger carbmaster vanilla skim in decaf coffee. You can also drink the plain carbmaster skim as your liquid intake. Each cup has 11 g of protein. Purée some kidney beans, make some egg beaters, purée some salmon. Heat up some ricotta with some shredded swiiss for a fondu. Have some vanilla greek yogurt. These are alll high protein. The more protein you get in now the better you recover and the faster hair will grow back. Speak to your nutritionist, bring your food logs. They may allow a snack that is protein. They just want to prevent grazing, the habit that leads right back to obesity.
  • ginawilli
    ginawilli Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Great advice! :)
  • ATB319
    ATB319 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I too am three weeks out on Monday. So, after six weeks it gets better? I'm still trying to decipher between "hunger," "full" and just plain "pain ."