Runners over 50

Options
What has changed for you as a runner once you cross that half-century mark? Frequency of training runs, injury recover time, easier age category, running with "special" undergarments (ha!), absolutely nothing has changed.....?
As with many,for me chronological age is a number and nothing more. However, I certainly take longer to heal than I did and I am a much more strategic trainer and runner than before. Feel to share!

Replies

• DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    As I turn 50 in less than two weeks, in for the comments! :)
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Since I didn't even start running until I was 53, I don't have anything to compare it to.... ignorance is bliss.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Started running last year at age 58 (after dropping 80 pounds). Found that the "various generic 1/2 & full marathon training plans," even at the beginner level were out of my league--they all seem to be "one age fits all.". I found that I needed more rest days between runs since the old bod takes more time to knit.

In the end found that run-walk-run is my ticket. So far I've completed three 1/2 marathons (2:25 PR) with another coming up next month and in training for the Disney World full marathon in January 2015 (60th birthday bucket list item). Tomorrow I'll be doing my 16-mile long run (my longest run ever)...praying I'll survive.
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Started running two years ago aged 54, I'm training for my first half marathon in December. Most younger people don't take two years to get round to running their first half but it's only now that I feel I'm fit enough to tackle a half and I don't think my knees will every allow me to do a full. I'd love to run every day but find that three days in a row is all my body will allow before a day off.
    Good luck on your 16 miles tomorrow boatsie, my long run for this week is 9 miles, the longest run I've done up to now was 9.3 mile fell race in August.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    For the most part (I am 57) just a number. Size of age groups is smaller but more competitive. It does, alas, take a bit longer to recover
  • boatsie77
    Options
    Abakan wrote: »
    Good luck on your 16 miles tomorrow boatsie, my long run for this week is 9 miles, the longest run I've done up to now was 9.3 mile fell race in August.

Thanks Abakan..I managed to complete my 16-miler yesterday and lived to write about it...and was relieved to find that when I woke up today my body hadn't completely turned to hamburger. Next week I scale back to 'only' 8 miles before making a run (run-walk) at 18 miles =-P. As if time doesn't pass swiftly enough for this old lady, the time between these longer runs just seems to fly by!

Congrats on your soon-to-be Distance PR & good luck with your 1\2 training...you're doing great!

• rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I just started running in early 2014 (hadn't run as much as a continuous mile in about 30 years) and turned 53 in May. Ran my first half marathon in July with another one coming up in 10 days. Hoping to run a full marathon next spring. Starting to really love running.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I hesitate to post here because a few days ago I posted on a thread about 40-year-old-and-over runners and got in trouble. That thread asked: Can you get faster after 40-years? I answered: Maybe. But it is hard because you tend to get injured more and you take longer to heal. They said they were different and I was mad! I think they will understand better in a few years.
    I think maybe the main challenge of running after 50 years is that we tend to want to overdo more than we did when we were younger. Over the years, we have learned to work harder. In running terms, I think that means we tend to go out more often, and maybe longer than we should, in order to improve. I know I run or do something highly physical about six days a week. When I was younger I was not quite so obsessive, I think. I ran or lifted weights, took a day off, ran, day off, etc.
    Now, when I definitely need MORE rest, I am actually getting less.
    I think we over 50-years definitely can be really good at running. But we need to pay attention to rest. Especially since we are more fragile and take longer to heal, so that if you get injured it really derails your training.
    The more tired you are the more likely you are to get injured.
  • boatsie77
    edited October 2014
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    I think we over 50-years definitely can be really good at running. But we need to pay attention to rest. Especially since we are more fragile and take longer to heal, so that if you get injured it really derails your training.

For me, the very best part of running is looking forward to rest days and the taper...I guess that's because I didn't start till I was 58. (Bring on the "trouble"...I can handle it--after my nap).

• 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Fewer running days, which means a few less miles per week gets me more time to rest the legs. Additional resistance work to stay stonger. Creating some more flexibility with some Yoga. I do not care much about the clock now. I run almost strickly by feel now. During races I run as hard as my mind and body say I can. Then the watch says what it says. I got a PR on my half marathon last year and never looked at my watch until I crossed the finish line.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    I hesitate to post here because a few days ago I posted on a thread about 40-year-old-and-over runners and got in trouble. That thread asked: Can you get faster after 40-years? I answered: Maybe. But it is hard because you tend to get injured more and you take longer to heal. They said they were different and I was mad! I think they will understand better in a few years.
    I think maybe the main challenge of running after 50 years is that we tend to want to overdo more than we did when we were younger. Over the years, we have learned to work harder. In running terms, I think that means we tend to go out more often, and maybe longer than we should, in order to improve. I know I run or do something highly physical about six days a week. When I was younger I was not quite so obsessive, I think. I ran or lifted weights, took a day off, ran, day off, etc.

I totally agree.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Takes longer to get back in shape, not as fast, but maybe I can get there, still have hope. ha ha.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Only started running at 53 (now 57) so I don't have any experience with change after 50. But I will say it will become a lot easier when the 40 hour plus work week disappears, it will allow more time for recovery and miles.