2014 Goals

Options
lwoodroff
lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
So, you goal-minded people.. what does 2014 have in store for you?
More weight on the bar?
A competition?
Something even more exciting?
Do share!

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I really try not to make "new years" goals... but I will be starting Ballet in January. :bigsmile:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I will have to think on this a bit and get back to you!
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I would like to work with a view to doing a bodybuilding type comp, probably not next year though maybe 2015.

I will finish my Strong Curves program - from beginner to the end is 24 weeks of working out so by June next year I *should* have got through it.

Then I want to have a proper go at my PRs and 1 rep max

I am not one for "new year resolutions" as such but just writing it down makes me feel accountable for it.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    lean & strong, not fat & strong

aka more weight on the bar, less pudge. it's gonna be a long, long road to my destination, but i gotta stick with it
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I think there is a difference between "new years" goals, and goals for a year!

I'm also a fan of SMART goal setting.

My 2014 goals 1RM:
    Squat 300 should get this in the first half of the year.
    Bench 175 this may be a bit optimistic, but I'm feeling good
    Dead 400 again should get this I'm the first half of the year.
    OHP 135 another optimistic goal but my current calculated 1rm is like 110 so not terrible.

Get into the 181 weight class for sure, and the 165 if I'm feeling optimistic.
    Get a pro total in RPS federation in the 181 or 165 class. (895 or 850 respectively)
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm still working on my goal from 2013 to be able to do 10 chin ups in a row. I can do 10 in one session, but not in a row. Tendonitis in my wrist threw me for a loop for several months this year.

Also, this might be too optimistic but would love to get to 270 for deads which is 2x my bodyweight. I'm at 209 right now, but that's a 1x5.

Otherwise my main goal is to just keep going and not be a slacker or skip workouts!!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I think there is a difference between "new years" goals, and goals for a year!

Meh not really. :laugh:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting for sure, and maybe eventually trim some of that excess fat off, even, now that I've got the discipline to continue working out under control.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Goals for 2014....

Add in some HIIT training.
    Start working on chin ups, pull ups and dips
    Lose another 9-15lbs (goal is low 20's BF%)
    Keep lifting of course...
    Squat 200-250lb
    DL 250-300lb
    Bench my bodyweight (currently 162 but expect it to go down)
    Break into triple digets in my OHP.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I need to keep going with SL. Come end of Jan I should be at 12 weeks.
    I need to add a little bit of cardio in.. maybe start walking 2 days a week on my off days.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Goals for 2014 are in general to get stronger and leaner (duh!)

More concretely I want to:

- Do a bodyweight pull-up and dip by my birthday (20th of February. My original goal was by the end of the year but I ended up in a fat loss challenge so strength gains haven't been awesome lately xD)

- Bench my bodyweight before december (whatever that number will be at that point?)
    - Squat over 200lbs (I can do 135x3 smooth right now)
    - Deadlift 250lbs (I haven't tried it but my E1RM is 185 atm I think)
    - Overhead press 100lbs (Stuck at 70x2 right now. It's tough!)

- Learn proper form and technique to perform Cleans and Snatches and other more explosive lifts more often. Atm I'm getting somewhat okay at hang power cleans, but that's the extent of it.

- Also, if I could manage to heal my right wrist at some point, that would be peachy (something snapped in my hand while doing skullcrushers a few months back, and I have been babying it since but I keep falling on it and rebooting the healing process :/. Debating getting an xray on it since it's taking so long to get better.)

I'm finishing a Wendler 531 cycle before the 1st (which was a mistake getting into so early, I think, That is why I'm switching to a 5x5 program, albeit I'll be doing a variation of SL) I will also take a deload week on a "bro-split" first just to switch it up.

Hopefully I can get myself below 30% fat in the first half of the year. The weight doesn't matter at that point.

Also, hi!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I've been on a Powerlifting/Bulking kick since July of last year. Gained some decent strength and 10lbs. Decided one of my New Years Resolutions is to switch things up & try to get down to 20% body fat while I'm still young enough to do it (I'm at around 23% body fat now) . So I will still continue pretty much w/the same routine I've been during, kick cardio up to 2 days a week, and of course, cut my calories.

...also hope to Deadlift 200lbs by my 40th Birthday (which is 1/21). Hit 190 for reps before my vacation so should at the very least be able to 1RM it.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    - Learn proper form and technique to perform Cleans and Snatches and other more explosive lifts more often. Atm I'm getting somewhat okay at hang power cleans, but that's the extent of it.

I'm currently doing 6 sessions with an Olympic lifting coaching to try to better learn those lifts! They are very hard technically (well, for me anyway). If you haven't already check out http://www.catalystathletics.com/ There's a lot of good information on that site.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    OK my goals for 2014 are as follows:

Squat 1.5BW
    Deadlift 2BW
    Bench BW

Learn some Oly lifts and then incorporate them in my programme

Once season is over implement and actually stick to my training plan for the off season including running and ball work :)
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm new to all this and don't actually get to start lifting for two more weeks (my gym won't open till then, using the interim to do research and learn). My goal is simple, but a very big challenge for me. I want to do one pull-up...and I don't care if it's the ugliest pull-up in the history of pull-ups. I have never been able to do one. I know that to achieve it I will need to really work on upper body and core strength, and loose a lot of weight. There's no way that these puny arms are doing a pull-up if I'm still hauling 232lbs. I try to keep my goals relatively modest and achievable. I'd like to weigh less than 200 by years end. If I loose 1.5lbs per week, I'll be at 159. That's a big "IF" but I'm currently at a deficit to loose 2lbs per week and have lost 12lbs this month...so maybe, just maybe I can do it. (Some of that aforementioned 12 lbs was totally just water weight flushing out after the holidays)
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm new to all this and don't actually get to start lifting for two more weeks (my gym won't open till then, using the interim to do research and learn). My goal is simple, but a very big challenge for me. I want to do one pull-up...and I don't care if it's the ugliest pull-up in the history of pull-ups. I have never been able to do one. I know that to achieve it I will need to really work on upper body and core strength, and loose a lot of weight. There's no way that these puny arms are doing a pull-up if I'm still hauling 232lbs. I try to keep my goals relatively modest and achievable. I'd like to weigh less than 200 by years end. If I loose 1.5lbs per week, I'll be at 159. That's a big "IF" but I'm currently at a deficit to loose 2lbs per week and have lost 12lbs this month...so maybe, just maybe I can do it. (Some of that aforementioned 12 lbs was totally just water weight flushing out after the holidays)
    My goal for 2014 is to do a pull up, too! I'm pretty far from it, but it's something I know I can do if I keep working at it! :drinker:
  • linka411
    linka411 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Start lifting and go down to 18-20% BF to build muscle and get into my ideal shape. I'm apparently at an alright weight where I am now (23.2 BMI), and I'm only at about 30-32% BF now. Seems doable if I don't give up :) even if I don't make it this year, as long as progress is made I will be happy.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Goals for 2014....

Add in some HIIT training.
    Start working on chin ups, pull ups and dips
    Lose another 9-15lbs (goal is low 20's BF%)
    Keep lifting of course...
    Squat 200-250lb
    DL 250-300lb
    Bench my bodyweight (currently 162 but expect it to go down)
    Break into triple digets in my OHP.

I've been doing HIIT consistently since Jan 6th...
    2 chin ups
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Begin.

Woohoo! Goal achieved! lol

Um... I guess the real goal is Don't Quit. Complete the 12 week program. I don't have other measurable goals at this point. I just want to keep going.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My goal by the end of the year is to be at 24% BF (currently at 27%). I also want some bigger weights on that bar :)