Shoe Mileage?

Options
mom2tripsn2
mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
I noticed that the last couple runs I've done (3-8 miles, so nothing ridiculous) my ankles seem to really be bothering me. I have some other medical stuff going on, so that could be all it is, but I am wondering if maybe I could be in need of new shoes as well...I've only got about 250-300 miles on these, and the tread doesn't seem to show too much wear, but they are also not the highest quality runners either. So, just curious...around what mileage do you retire your shoes generally?

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking I get 500-600, but everyone will be different depending on how you wear. I know you are on prednisone, so that could be part of it. I suffered a stress fracture in my foot after being on pred for a long time, but the pain from that was acute and sudden. I would definitely keep an eye on it though. Prednisone notoriously weakens your bones. Do you take a calcium supplement? My doctor recommended plain old Tums, so I chew 2 of those every day.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I get at least 500-600 miles... I have some over 800... but I think it may depend on what shoes you have. I run in minimalist shoes so there is not really any cushioning or foam to break down or wear out. In fact I tend to like my shoes more the more miles they get on them. But I think if you have a more cushioned shoe, maybe there may be bigger changes in your stride as the padding and/or foam wears out with the miles. I could also be WAY off base... lol
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I get at least 500-600 miles... I have some over 800... but I think it may depend on what shoes you have. I run in minimalist shoes so there is not really any cushioning or foam to break down or wear out. In fact I tend to like my shoes more the more miles they get on them. But I think if you have a more cushioned shoe, maybe there may be bigger changes in your stride as the padding and/or foam wears out with the miles. I could also be WAY off base... lol

This is my experience. And I also run in minimalist shoes. Tomorrow will likely be the last run in my current pair and they are at about 550 miles. I got 520ish out of the last pair and 720ish out of the pair before that (but I should have changed sooner).

My running partner gets about 300 or so out of his but his are highly cushioned.
  • SecretAgent27
    SecretAgent27 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think I put 700-800 on my last pair before I started to feel some foot pain and decided to get a new pair. I'm a little over 300 on the current pair.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Depends on the shoe and your running form. I get about 500 miles on mine before I start to feel the lack of cushioning (they still look brand new as I only use them for running). I have a friend who is more of a toe/forefoot runner and she has to replace her shoes around 250 miles.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    What Carson says. It depends on the shoe as well as the runner. The runner's form and weight are big factors. A racing flat will wear out much faster than a heavily structured shoe, and a heavy runner will wear out the foam a lot faster. Some also have materials that just aren't made for durability. I had one pair of shoes I only got 200 miles in and had completely worn the soles out. I normally go maybe 400-500 miles depending. Good luck!
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    What Carson says. It depends on the shoe as well as the runner. The runner's form and weight are big factors. A racing flat will wear out much faster than a heavily structured shoe, and a heavy runner will wear out the foam a lot faster. Some also have materials that just aren't made for durability. I had one pair of shoes I only got 200 miles in and had completely worn the soles out. I normally go maybe 400-500 miles depending. Good luck!

Yep this. Typically around 500 per pair for me but the time or two I've gone with something different they didn't last as long on me. You mentioned tread, but the midsole where the structure is can wear out long before the tread. I would suggest getting a new pair but don't toss the old ones yet. If after a few runs your pain goes away, it was probably your shoes. If not, troubleshoot elsewhere and you'll just have two pairs in rotation.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Generally speaking I get 500-600, but everyone will be different depending on how you wear. I know you are on prednisone, so that could be part of it. I suffered a stress fracture in my foot after being on pred for a long time, but the pain from that was acute and sudden. I would definitely keep an eye on it though. Prednisone notoriously weakens your bones. Do you take a calcium supplement? My doctor recommended plain old Tums, so I chew 2 of those every day.

I get 500-600 out of my shoes too.
  • PollyWolly98
    Options
    My last few pairs have only lasted 350 miles before I start feeling hip pain. I'm jealous of the ones who can get so many more miles from their shoes!
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I get about 400 miles out of a pair. I am what you could class as a heavier runner so I can see where some faster breakdown of the cushioning would occur. Tread by the 400 mark starts show some considerable wear also. I use in Asics and Saucony.