new to the program

Hi, i am new to this program. i am bipolar (bipolar II) and take abilify, effexor, and lamictyl... i have gained 10 lbs in last year. lately i have had an insatiable appetite and weight gain has increased (3 lbs in past 3 weeks). does anyone have suggestions on how to stick to a weightloss plan and still have this appetite? does anyone use supplements to help?

Replies

• charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Hi tolle and welcome. I am borderline, bulimic and have tritch. I am taking carbamazepine, haloperidol, zopiclone and venlafaxine currently. I have also been on abilify and effexor. Effexor caused me a great deal of anguish with weight gain around 3 stones to be honest. Unfortunately I don't know how to get passed that I never tried suppliments and dont know much about them but I can say try and keep low calorie sweet snacks around. Low cal jelly is a really good one and sweet fruit such as grapes, that way if you are over eating its not doing as much damage. Have you also tried lollipops and chewing gum ? Hope that helps some sorry . Charlie
  • Saratini76
    Saratini76 Posts: 115 Member
    Hello tolle! I think Effexor also stimulated weight gain for me...I gained 20 pounds in 6 months. I sympathize with the insatiable appetite and can only offer that I sometimes try to drink water or Crystal Light between planned snacks and meals. It's helping a little. I also use GABA L-Theanine Stress B lozenges when I get really down (its when I eat the most). It's supposed to help boost the feel-good centers in the brain. I don't know if scientifically it's proven, but it seems to work for me. I agree with Charlie too.....lots of gum for me...especially the Extra kind that is flavored dessert flavors (lemon bar is my favorite). I am always open for friends, message me anytime!