Birth Classes

Options
xelor23
xelor23 Posts: 44 Member
Hi All!

I am curious what classes you all signed up for, or are planning to sign up for, pending the birth of your baby. My hospital has several classes available but I don't know which ones to attend, besides the obvious "birthing class".

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    None. I didn't take any with my first either and did just fiiiine.
  • futurestarz
    Options
    I've taken two...a childbirth prep class, and a newborn prep class. They were both kind of helpful. They helped us prepare as far as knowing relaxation techniques and what to do when labor actually starts. I've heard that breastfeeding classes are VERY helpful, but I've been procrastinating on signing up for one. Since I'm due in less than 2 weeks, I think I missed my opportunity.
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I took a lamaze class, a childcare class and a breastfeeding basics class. I enjoyed it because even though I knew most of what was being taught, I was less scared for labor, delivery and becoming a parent because of it. I wanted a natural birth, and felt like my decision was fully supported in those classes, and even eased my mind with the unknowns about it. This time around I'm considering a sibling class for my little one, just to get her involved.
  • xelor23
    xelor23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    After hearing from you ladies, I am going to sign up for breastfeeding class for sure. Probably also the birthing class, so I feel more prepared for this scary thing that is ever looming! Thank you girls!!!
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I've taken two...a childbirth prep class, and a newborn prep class. They were both kind of helpful. They helped us prepare as far as knowing relaxation techniques and what to do when labor actually starts. I've heard that breastfeeding classes are VERY helpful, but I've been procrastinating on signing up for one. Since I'm due in less than 2 weeks, I think I missed my opportunity.

BF is hard to really teach before you have a baby. The main point of the classes is to say it can be difficult and some things you can try. However, once you have the baby, it will likely be different than you expect or you will be tired and not remember anything! It is also possible that you and baby will do fine.

Most post partum nurses have some skill at helping BF and if you ask, you should get access to a hospital LC which is very helpful.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm in England and the NHS provides antenatal classes in your first pregnancy. There were 5 sessions, including a tour of the maternity ward at the hospital. I have to say I didn't learn anything I hadn't read in my pregnancy book! At least I met some nice ladies, and I still see some of them on the school run as our babies are now 5!
  • Slpst46
    Slpst46 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think the birthing classes are espeically helpful for new dads-to-be. I'm pretty sure mine thought it was like on TV - like a 5 min labor with 10sec. of pushing. So, it was a good dose of reality. Plus, it was good to know that were the options for delivery at my hospital of choice (pain control, water birth, etc.).
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking Bradley Method birth classes, which focus on a natural birth with the husband as the coach. I love it because it goes along with my desires in wanting a more natural birth. Plus, I wanted my husband to be an active participator (as did he), and this class is super helpful in teaching laboring techniques, relaxation techniques, and really getting both partners involved. It is a 12-13 week course (we meet once a week for 2 hours). I do think any sort of birth class would be helpful-- no matter what type of birth you desire, at least to be aware of what is happening to your body, what types of interventions may be used depending on the circumstances, what is available to you during labor, and like a previous poster said-- give your husband a dose of reality. :)

As far as breastfeeding, I have a local La Leche group that meets regularly, and my hospital affiliation has after-birth breastfeeding classes that are taught by lactation consultants that I am planning to take after I have the baby. In my Bradley Method class, we do learn about and have a lactation consultant give an overview on breastfeeding, but I know that I may want more hands-on info once the baby is in my arms.