Racing without Garmin/Taping over the screen.. thoughts??

Options
This sounds like a weird idea but I'm racing a 5k on Sunday that is notoriously fast and flat. It has hosted my 5k PR the past two years for each year (22:42, 22:11) and I am thinking of running without the Garmin which would be super tough as I wouldn't have the data for the future.. the only other thing I can think of is wear the Garmin but tape the screen so I can't see my pace.. I'll be the first to admit that I constantly look at my watch when I'm racing and it's frustrating how much I rely on it. I feel like a solid PR is in store if the race doesn't turn into a mental affair with time. Has anybody done this before and what was your experience. I really want to get in a fast 5k time this year and this seems to be the spot. The weather looks perfect. 60 degrees and overcast.

Replies

• lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My current-standing 5K PR was accomplished when I accidentally left the house wearing my HRM strap but not my Garmin. I usually check my Garmin so i can speed up when my pace drops off, but perhaps without that reference I just ran more all out.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I tend to use it to stop me running too fast rather than see if I'm going too slow! But why not just wear it but programme the display to show something other than pace?
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    programme the display to show something other than pace?
    This is brilliant. I saw a woman at one race who kept her Garmin in a pouch so she could have her data but couldn't look at the watch during the race.

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Wear it upside down on your wrist?
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I saw a guy at my local weekly 5k running blindfolded this week. You could try that!

He had a guide (dressed as Scooby Doo) helping him around; albeit failing to stop him running headlong into a large, prickly bush. I kid you not. Quite funny.

As a garmin owner, I would second the suggestion of setting up a screen that has just info on it that won't distract you.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I usually find that during a 5k, I literally don't have time/energy to even look down at my watch. I look at it during the first 30-60 seconds to make sure I'm not going too crazy fast. However, I used to look at my garmin A LOT during 5ks, and I found that I would "give up" if I saw my pace drop.

I say, flip it upside down. Or just don't worry about it. Focus internally. Focus on beating the other runners. :-)
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I just started running this spring and while I would frequently check my watch to see my pace when training during spring and summer months, now that the days are getting shorter and I'm running pretty much in the dark on weekday early morning runs, I can't easily see the watch readout (even with a headlamp) so I'm pretty much now have to check my results at a later time. I think it's turning me into a more instinctive runner.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    For a 5k, I just set it up so I can see the heart rate...no pace info at all. I try get it to Z4 and keep it there. But, I suppose that could be another kind of obsessing.
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i have 3 screens that i flip thru on mine.

1. total time/distance/pace
    2. lap time/distance/pace
    3. elevation/direction

when i don't want to over analyze my pace i just flip it to the 3rd screen so i can't see my time/distance/pace anymore