Week 5 Informational (10/10-10/17)

ElizabethStukenbergNPS
ElizabethStukenbergNPS Posts: 36 Member
edited October 2014 in Social Groups
Last week we talked about the “My Plate”
9kb92ry0iffj.jpg

This week we are discussing ideas on how to get all your fruits and veggies, plus all your carbohydrates and protein in your diet and preserve your “My Plate ratios! :p

Personally, and you may agree, I find it too time-consuming and un-enjoyable to eat lots of fruits and veggies. This is especially difficult on a busy morning before work, or on my short, sometimes non-existent, lunch break.

Ain't nobody got time for that!

What I like to do is use frozen fruit and veggies (buy them in bulk at Costco or Walgreens, Walmart) and put a cup of frozen fruit, and cup of frozen veggies (broccoli, carrots and cauliflower blend) in the blender and blending them up as a smoothie. It gives you all the fiber, all the goodness, and all the taste in one delicious smoothie! It is very filling, but it is much more enjoyable to drink than trying to eat all those fruits and veggies (especially the veggies) in one sitting! And you will be amazed how few calories are in it!

Other ideas are to...

Cut up your veggies and eat with a healthy dip (but you will need to count the dip, too, then).

Eat your fruits and veggies first, before other foods, to keep you full if that helps!

Take a bunch of veggies and stir fry them for dinner. It is fast and easy to do if you have the already prepared vegetables in the freezer, and all you need to do is fry them up. No cutting or washing....

Your goal for this week is to get all your fruits and veggies in your diet (half your plate, half of your meal), on at least two days, without going over your calorie goals, and post how you did it! o:)

Please also discuss any thoughts or opinions about “My Plate”.

Post how you are getting your half a plate of vegetables and fruits in each day!

Best wishes!

Elizabeth

Replies

• Cisco has huge veggie trays.low fat dip
  • ElizabethStukenbergNPS
    ElizabethStukenbergNPS Posts: 36 Member
    edited October 2014
    Good tip! Great idea for getting your veggies in! That is Cosco? Or what is Cisco?
  • Another way would be making recipes that include lots of veggies. For instance, I have a turkey chili recipe that has tomatoes, kale, zucchini, etc in it. Also a recipe for suasage veggie hash that has pepper, broccoli, tomatoes, and zucchini. Both are SUPER tastey.
  • That sounds delicious! Yes, that sounds like a great way to get more vegetables into the diet! Soup or stews are especially nice in this colder weather. :)
  • kittytiger442
    kittytiger442 Posts: 8 Member
    I ate one fruit and veggie smoothie a day and also made sure to have 2 servings of steamed vegtables at either lunch or dinner.
  • That is awesome! I hope you are seeing the results of your hard work! :D
  • I did well until I went out of town for a conference. I don't do as well when I eat out, something I need to work on.
  • Yes, I do not eat well when I eat out either. I just try to get back on track in the days following by eating fruits, vegetables, and trying to "cleanse" by drinking lots of water. What do you do to get back on track after eating poorly?