Two trackers: FitBit & iPhone?

Options
Just started mfp and syncing to my iPhone 5s. I've lost 4.2 pounds in 8 days. Both the mfp and FitBit apps are on my iPhone.

I'm considering getting a FitBit so I can leave my iPhone and just carry the FitBit for neighborhood walks. So I'd like to ask two questions:

1. Can you sync two devices to mfp? (I'd use one and not the other when walking.)

2. Is my iPhone 5s all I really need to count steps and interact with mfp (I don't think it necessary to count stairs so I'm probably aiming for a Zip instead of a One)?

Replies

• scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss so far. Are you using an actual app on your phone tracking your steps (map my run, etc) or do you just have the MFP app. I've a Fitbit fan, it's so easy, I wear mine 24/7 pretty much. I have it synced to MFP and love how they work together. I think there can be some confusion if you have additional activity apps trying to connect to MFP too (but I only have the Fitbit myself ... I do have a HRM that I use for a 2nd opinion but it's not linked).

I do love a Fitbit, everyone in my family has them. The Fitbit will track your steps ALL day, not just walks. It's really motivating to "see" your activity throughout the day, not just when you are exercising. If you don't care about sleep tracking or stairs, the Zip is probably fine for you. My little guy (10-years old) really wants to upgrade his Zip to a One though, as the One display glows, and is easier to see in the dark. I also like and use the "timer" function (counting just steps/calories for a specific workout).
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You can link many devices/apps to MFP. It should be pretty easy to find the list on the MFP site. I use my FitBit for tracking things all day - just keep it in my pocket and let it sync to the FitBit app on my iPhone. I have friends who use MapMyWalk on their iPhones and use that to track their neighborhood walks. MMW will sync with MFP and is a nice program to use for things like non-treadmill walks and hikes although I stopped using it because I thought it over-estimated the number of calories used. I find Fitbit to be much better for keeping track and setting goals for daily/weekly number of steps.
  • shg1953
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I've got both the MFP and the FitBit apps running on my iPhone. Just trying to see which one is easier for me to use. The FitBit takes my iPhone's M7 data to derive its step count; MFP does the same (or interfaces with Apple's new Health app to get the step count). I guess my original question about two devices contributing data is starting to disappear--I'd just use the FitBit to feed MFP and the FitBit app the step counts (and turn off access to the iPhone sensor and/or Apple Health app).

That said, is it possible to get the data from the FitBit app (stuff like meals) and have it automatically read by MFP? I like MFP because of the nutrition readouts and while I don't know for sure, I'm betting that MFP will print out a report, something I can give my general physician when I have an annual checkup. Any thoughts on MFP reading FitBit app data (not just steps, but the food diary data)?
  • shg1953
    Options
    Well, having bought and set up a Zip, I now know the answer. The FitBit app only wants input from one device. Either / or. So I turned it over to the Zip of course! But...MFP reports my FitBit's steps, it awards me 0 calories for it. Is there something I forgot to change in the app or website (MFP's or FitBit's)?
  • jmmilliman
    Options
    I know when I linked my Fitbit One to MFP it said very clearly to only enter activity into the MFP app, which syncs with the Fitbit app very nicely, or else there will be confusion. I only enter into the MFP app, but when I check my Fitbit app everything shows up there, water, food, exercise, active minutes, everything. Very nice communication between the two of them.

As for multiple apps, I have RunKeeper and Sworkit that both sync with MFP which also syncs back with my Fitbit. So, if I log in either of those it shows in MFP and in Fitbit (not as a double though).

As for why does it show 0 calories on the Fitbit sync with MFP, that is because the calorie count on the Fitbit is based on your daily activity, if you sync other activity it takes that into account and SUBTRACTS it from you Fitbit sync so you don't get double counted for calories and such.

I hope this helps! I love my Fitbit!!!!