Two week post surgery appt

Options
rpyle111
rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
I just got back from my two week post op appointment with my surgeon. Everything looks t be I order and I get to progress t soft foods and purées! 22 days without solid food have come to an egg. I cam home and quickly scrambled an egg with an ounce of finely chopped pulled pork. It tasted fantastic. Monitoring the system for signs of distress. . . So far so good.

We talked about returning to exercise, and I am free to resume the elliptical as long a there is no pain, and gently start lifting again, being careful not to work or strain my abdominals. I plan to start at bout half of the weight I was at pre surgery, just to keep the muscles exercised and let my body know not to pull energy from them!

The doctor explained that the abdominal muscle fascia is torn as part of the surgery and it takes about six weeks to heal to 85% strength, and then about a year to return to close to full strength. He also explained why the muscle pain doesn't line up with the incision site. Things are shifted during the surgery and and the best spot to pull the stomach out is a little lower on the abdomen.

Happy to be getting to the new normal and it'll be interesting to see how I tolerate different foods!

Rob

63741332.png

Replies

• ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. Let us know how the eating goes. Egg sounds good.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Excellent news Rob! You have many new and exciting times ahead of you. I am glad that I will get to see them as your progress. You are going to rock this new life my friend!!!! B)
  • elifusa
    elifusa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So glad to see you progressing Rob! I don't have a two week check . I have one at a month. In our program we are not allowed to eat any eggs until 8 weeks out due to a lot of people getting blockages with it, so I'd thought I'd pass that on. Otherwise, way to go!
  • tlogesi
    tlogesi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Rob, Are you able to go back to work soon?
  • elifusa
    elifusa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I went back to work about 10 days after surgery.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am cleared to return to work 10/27. I may explore going back half time or working from home, but I'm still sleeping a lot, so I don't plan to push it,
  • MistyHiker
    MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I told my work 3 weeks period. I'm glad I did. By 3 weeks I was ready to go back - LOL!
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Rob, good for you for taking it slow and easy and not pushing yourself. You will definitely have to listen to your body even more now.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You are doing great Rob!!
    26197638.png
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I ate eggs early on and they went down fine without any problems, Each week the foods are getting easier for me. I did try a bit of pasta and that did not work at all--came back up! I am 6 weeks post-op
  • dittybug2001
    Options
    Hi Rob,
    Sounds like everything went well. That's great.
    I remember how much I missed eating food. yay for the egg
    Interesting why the pain muscle and the incision doesn't line up. I wondered about that
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Rob you are doing such a great job! I am so happy to hear your appointment went well!
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I wanted an egg sooooo badly at your point and I brought it up after a miserable 15 minutes. Poach it, don't scramble it. It will be softer and go down easier. I can eat them now, but I couldn't then. Keep on. You're doing great!