Running with a headlamp

Options
johnlatv
johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
I am looking into running with a headlamp. I am only doing road running. Can anyone recommend a good headlamp, what are some must have features. Also what has your experience been with headlamp running on the road.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I have a Black Diamond headlamp. It's rechargeable and lightweight. I love it!
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have a Black Diamond headlamp. It's rechargeable and lightweight. I love it!

Ditto. Mine even has a blinking red light on the back... Because people are idiots around here, it's nice to have an extra way to be seen and not get run down by a car.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    There was a great thread a few weeks back about this, I think the forum upgrade killed it though. I don't have a headlamp, yet so I'm in for responses.

I know a few people in the other thread touted Petzl headlamps.

And some mentioned knuckle-lights, which I got. So far, not terrible. Gotta replace the batteries before I get a better review. I found old batteries so it's not super bright...
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I have a Petzal. Don't recall which model, but it is lightweight and gives off plenty of light.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I use the Black Diamond Spot. It throws a lot of light in a small package.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I prefer Knuckle Lights to a headlamp for road running. For trails I switch to a headlamp and if it is going to be super-technical I do both.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I've got a black diamond storm. Not the greatest but decent battery life, not overly heavy and isn't going to die if you get rained on either.
  • _canuckrunner_
    _canuckrunner_ Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Agree with @DavidMartinez2 - I love my Knuckle lights, I could never get used to the feeling of wearing the headlamp, but that's just my own personal preference.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I also have knuckle lights and love them.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    jturnerx wrote: »
    I use the Black Diamond Spot. It throws a lot of light in a small package.

I have the same model. It's super bright and lightweight.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    In regards to knuckle lights. I changed the batteries in mine last night. Much better. I'm sure they're best when you run with both. I keep having to give up one of them to my boyfriend so he can see. But even with one, it's not too bad.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have a Petzl Tika XP2... great light. Rechargeable, lightweight and long battery life. Going into my 3rd winter with it with no complaints at all.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I *had* a Petzl NAO- great headlamp, super bright but it turns out I don't like running with a headlamp...so I use a Fenix flashlight. The PD22 (discontinued, but you can still get it on amazon) is 1.6oz, uses one cr123 battery and throws 210 lumens on the max setting. Friend of mine used it overnight (presumably on a lower setting) and he got 10h out of one battery. Not bad. I carry one in my hand and another in my pack so I don't have to change batteries on the trail.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    wombat94 wrote: »
    I have a Petzl Tika XP2... great light. Rechargeable, lightweight and long battery life. Going into my 3rd winter with it with no complaints at all.

I have the same one, very happy with it (and the bonus is that you can use it for those jobs around the house where you need extra light but don't have any hands free) and I have a little red clip-on led to the rear.

When I'm running on the road in low light conditions I use the blink setting but it's also bright enough to light up the recreational path when I run on that.

• saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have a very cheap Rayovac. $15. Works like a charm. Have done all night runs on trails several times in it with no problems at all. Though I will say that when someone comes up behind me on the trail with a Petzl, I sure know they have a Petzl!! Here's mine: http://www.rayovac.com/Products/Lights/Work/Virtually-Indestructible-LED-3AAA-Headlight.aspx
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those recommending Knuckle Lights! Have not been able to get used to a head lamp (I have one of the Black Diamond models), so been wanting something else. I currently carry my headlamp in my hands as needed...not really the same thing.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I use my headlamp around my chest , works better for lighting the road and it seems cars see me a bit better. Doesn't work so well with a heart rate monitor though....