New to the Group

Options
Mamagill08
Mamagill08 Posts: 20 Member
Hi everyone, I'm new here! I was diagnosed with Hashimotos in August and I'm completely confused and drowning in all of this. I had my first visit w an endocrinologist today and it was awful! I told the woman about my fatigue (fell asleep while driving w my kids in the car!), joint and muscle pain, trouble swallowing, swollen nodes in my neck, hoarseness for weeks now, hair falling out, brain fogginess, etc. she was very rude and said I don't need any supplements, I don't need to follow any diet, and since my thyroid numbers are good and my thyroid is no longer swollen there is nothing for me to do except take my meds every day and deal with it. I cried for an hour after I left. I have researched this and I don't understand why she wouldn't help me figure out the autoimmune side of this disease. She only cared about my thyroid. I guess I need help figuring out where to go from here. Do I go back to my regular doctor for help or do I try to find another endocrinologist? I'm so overwhelmed an I just don't know what to do. Any advice you guys have would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Rhonda

Replies

• RedBec7
    RedBec7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry you are going through this. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 3 1/2 years ago. I've had the exact same experience with two different endocrinologists. They were awful and I cried alot. I'm still feeling confused and overwhelmed by the whole thing. And I'm still in search of a doctor who can really help me. I found one who would prescribe natural desiccated thyroid medicine (armour thyroid) which helped more than the synthetic (synthroid). He at least understood that T3 is important. That doctor was not good at listening and didn't care about my symptoms though. I'm currently going to one who listens but doesn't really understand the thyroid. She only looks at TSH.

Keep looking for a doctor who understands that the TSH is not the only number they should look at. They have to look at T4 AND T3. That's the first step. You also need someone who will listen to your symptoms and is willing to treat you for them and not just tell you to live with them or that they are caused by some other problem. And you need someone who understands the fluctuations that happen with Hashimoto's.

It's a really complicated condition and I don't have any answers. I've done a lot of research online and bought some books. I feel like I understand it more than any of the doctors I've been to but I'm still not sure what to do. I had some periods in the last 6 months where I felt like a normal person but it doesn't last. Things got really bad the last 2 months - I was very hypo after starting to exercise, then when I stopped I got very hyper. I feel better now so we'll see. I'm sticking with the same dosage (90 mg) for now.

Good luck and know you're not alone in this.
  • Mamagill08
    Mamagill08 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for responding! It helps me just to know that someone understands what I'm going through. I wish you the best of luck in your journey!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    The first lesson I learned is this: endocrinologists don't know jack about hashi's. Lots of them focus on diabetes sadly. Granted, I did get my hashi Dx from an endo, but I am doing way better now than when I was getting treated by her. I self treated for a long time because she refused to treat me from out of state (i moved for a job that was supposed to be temporary but is turning into long term). So I found a local doctor, she's a D.O., and she listens to me, gave me what I wanted, and I'm happy! So there are other doctors out there that will be open to helping you.

I've gone through several doctors over the years to get to where I am today. I remember as a teen telling my family doctor I was tired all the time, had migraines, awful acne (I knew back then something was wrong), and she told my mom I was a lazy teen. To eat chocolate and drink coke for my migraines. So yea, doctors can suck. Don't give up hope, keep searching, and keep fighting!!

There are some good resources and books in one of the stickies for our group.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Mamagill08 wrote: »
    I had my first visit w an endocrinologist today and it was awful! She was very rude and said I don't need any supplements, I don't need to follow any diet, and since my thyroid numbers are good and my thyroid is no longer swollen there is nothing for me to do except take my meds every day and deal with it.

Your endo is correct that there's no such thing as a thyroid diet. And unless you've been diagnosed with deficiencies (vitamins D & B12 are common), you don't need supplements. But a good endocrinologist will adjust your meds based on both your levels and your symptoms.

You have three treatment options:
    • Armour (dessicated pig or pig & cow thyroid glands)
    • Synthroid (levothyroxine), which is synthetic T4
    • A combination of Synthroid & Cytomel (liothyronine), which is synthetic T3

Endos in the US are highly resistant to both Cytomel & Armour, so it's really important that we educate ourselves and ask questions. It took me a year & a half to persuade my doctor to prescribe Cytomel—even though my T3 was super low. And my quality of life is so much better now. Do not give up!

MFP has a hypothyroidism & hyperthyroidism group where you can find more information & get more support: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • Theeerica
    Theeerica Posts: 45 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    It's difficult to pin point what your auto immune trigger is. Mine was long term use of birth control pills. While there is no cure all diet to the disease, there are changes you can make that will help calm your immune system down. Cutting out sugar,and processed foods help significantly. Some people also cut out gluten. Your digestive system plays a big part in your thyroid health. Most doctors just want to push pills and don't want to address what the underlined cause is. It takes time but you need to be your own health advocate.