Almost pulled the trigger on a new MTB

Options
GrindGravel
GrindGravel Posts: 49 Member
Stopped in the bike shop by my office at lunch just to look around. Well you know how that usually goes. I was talking to the mechanic about possibly dabbling in mountain biking, and he mentioned they had a 2014 Trek fuel ex 8 on clearance for $2,300. I had heard these bikes are decent all around trail bikes that could dabble in an occasional race, which fit what I would do with it. I took it for a test ride and really liked it, but $2,300 is still a lot of money, so I held off......

Now I have done some more research on it and wondering if I should go back and get it or the sweet Santa Cruz Tall boy for $2,600, I also saw...... Or should I be sensible and wait? Decisions, Decisions. Anybody have any thoughts on these bikes?

Replies

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I don't have any thoughts on either of those, though I know the Fuel is a great bike. A buddy of mine swears by Trek mountain bikes. I will tell you however that if you haven't ridden mountain bikes before, you're gonna get hooked! I just started riding them a couple of years ago after a few years strictly as a roadie. I'm still a roadie at heart, but I love to ride MTB as well. I think the two of them are very complementary, since MTB really helps your bike handling and road really helps your power and fitness.
  • KaktusJaque
    KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bike shops are dangerous!! DANGEROUS I tell you! I love Santa Cruz bikes, but never owned one. In fact I’ve only ever had Specialized and one GT. It’s not that I went out looking specifically for Specialized; they just have always seemed to drop in my lap. A couple years ago I was saving up for a Carbon Trek, but a Specialized magically appeared, and the price was such that I just could not pass it up. I know that’s a lot of cash, but it’s really not a bad price for a good MTB. I love both sides, dirt and road. I tend to gravitate toward the dirt though. I find it’s more fun, and requires a bit more effort mentally and physically, at least that’s the way I make it for myself. Besides, you have a better chance of seeing critters like the one in my picture!!
  • GrindGravel
    Options
    I used to race BMX, so Mountain Bike seemed the next logical step for some variety.
  • GrindGravel
    Options
    I debated all weekend and came close a few times to breaking down and getting it. But, I have decided that I am going to hold off and A. Lose at least 15 more pounds first, and B. Save up more funds so, I can get whatever bike I want without stressing about the $$$.

Plus, there is so much to learn about Moutain Bikes. It is insane how many configurations, parts and styles of bike there are. I think I a little more research might help make a better decision when the time comes. Still was hard to pass up a nice deal like on that Fuel.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Have you done any MTBing in your area? Can you rent MTBs at a bike shop and do some test rides? Some shops around here will allow you to borrow a bike under the understanding that "You break it, you bought it".

I have a Specialized Epic Comp and love it. I tried a Trek Fuel when I was looking and it just didn't feel as good as the Epic. Never been on a Santa Cruz but I see them on them on the trails here and there. Giant also makes some bad *kitten* bikes.

It's funny I have a $2500 dollar fully suspended race bike but do the majority of my riding on a steel rigid 29er Single Speed that cost me $650. Of course, I have dumped about $1000 in upgrades but that rigid SS has been the most fun I have had on a MTB.
  • GrindGravel
    edited October 2014
    Options
    We have a good variety of trails out here. It goes from nice smooth Beginner/Intermediate stuff with a pump track to tough single track trails with steep punchy climbs/descents, roots galore and rock gardens. I raced BMX from 12-17 and lived on my bike. I also dabbled with MTB's back when I was in college in West Virginia. So my bike handeling skills, while a little rusty are still pretty good. I could still do one handed wheelies with the 29'er Fuel on my test ride hehehe.

Still, for me the suspension stuff is all new. The bikes I rode all handeld better than my old Trek hardtail with the Manitou 1 fork. Shops here only seem to do the occasional ride on trails for promos. Either way, I am just going to wait and look around for a bit. Good thing is, there is a dealer for every brand within 25 miles, so will have a chance to look around. Just wish I knew some folks who rode mtbs, so I can see stuff on the trail. All the people I ride with are Roadies or CX guys.
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have a fuel EX8 and love it. My daughter used to race MTB and I was on the mindset that I had to go hard tail X-Country specific...blah... blah. A few test rides and I discovered at 45+ I am entitled to the cushy ride of a full suspension bike. When I bought my road bike I actually wished they made a full suspension road bike after coming off the Fuel.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    xbrizzax: you do kinda know one guy who rides mountain bikes! Holler if you want to hit some singletrack sometime. I could probably even scare up a loaner for you if you wanted to give it a try before committing $$$.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Right now is a good time to buy one. But yeah, demo first!
  • GrindGravel
    Options
    Sounds good, ntnunk. It's looking like some home expenses may be less than first thought. If that is the case, I may get something while they are cheap. Should no by early next week.