Dumped my Fitbit scales

Options
maxim1
maxim1 Posts: 10 Member
I have been using Fitbit scales for about 6 months and have to say its been a complete waste of time, I wished i would have done some research before purchasing.

There is a simple test which should be followed when purchasing scales, take 3 measurements consecutively, if you get different measurements each time, move on don't purchase.

The body fat measurement feature is a waste of time, and is a gimmick, just google or youtube this feature for electrical scales.

After getting varying measurements at each weigh in i just got fed up and did some research and decided to purchase a Seca 875 medical scales, very expensive £158 but the fitbit scale was the 4th set of scales I had bought in 18 months.

They are completely accurate no matter how many measurements I take, the same figure all the time.
Now the real kicker, on my last weigh in Fitbit scales weighed me in at 18 stone 6 pounds, I was happy as i am heading in the right direction, My goal was to reach 17 stone, according to Fitbit scales i started at about 21 stone.

After weighing myself with the Seca it clocked me at 20.5 stone, a real kick in the nuts, I can see visible that i losing weight and my clothes have dropped a size, I just fell Fitbit scales where just a waste of money and giving me false hope and success.

Replies

• ryandorkoski
    Options
    I completely agree. I won't go into it, but I went through two FitBit Aria scales and about 12 hours of setup time before calling it quits. Terrible product, even though I like the FitBit Flex.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    No two scales will ever read the same.

I totally agree that the Aria's body fat measurements are useless, but my weight is accurate enough. Everyone's weight will fluctuate day to day. To see the trend, I sync my Aria with Trendweight.com.

And I love the fact that all I have to do every morning is weigh myself. Aria sends my weight to my Fitbit account, to Trendweight, and to MFP. Yay!
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I had a terrible time with my Fitbit scale -- finally lost the ability to sync and I said to heck with it. I now have a Withings (which I find easier to read anyhow).

Scales can vary widely depending on placement too.
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying my Aria. The body fat measurement on all digital scales is silly. Like editor, I love just stepping on every morning and having my weight go to fitbit, trendweight and mfp.

I tried getting on and off this morning and got a 0.2 difference which I figure is probably just the scale warming up under my feet.

Sorry you had such bad luck.
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    I don't have an Aria but I do have a scale that estimates body fat and I think the technology is about the same. What I found... It is really easy to fool the body fat estimator. My scales weight measuring is pretty consistent in my current apartment, but in my old apartment it would be very variable because the floor had more give. So about the weight, maybe try different places? If it is on carpet it may be less stable and give varying weights.

Anyway about the body fat estimation. I always thought it was high, but I would try to only weigh in similar conditions. (For me in the morning, after using the restroom, before showering). If you drink water it can effect it, if you haven't used the bathroom it can effect it--but all that adds weight and is lean mass. Lean mass is anything that is not fat. I did feel it showed trends in my progress if conditions were similar with each measurement. It did estimate higher than my calipers or calculators where you enter in height and measurements. But then I had the opportunity to participate in a university research study and they did a bodpod measure. Bodpods is said to be quite accurate, it is used in research studies but it can be fooled in certain circumstances. My bodpod estimate was very similar to what my scale estimated that morning (it was a little higher, sadly). The bod pos was measuring full body, my scale just up one leg across the hips and down the other leg. I am quite evenly proportioned but a lot of my body fat is in my chest so it makes sense that my full body estimate would be higher than a lower body only estimate. The reverse might be true for a woman with more of a pear shape who carries little fat in her upper body. I actually trust my scale a little more than I use to now. Calipers can only pinch the fat beneath the skin, while the scales can estimate the fat deeper in the body. So it is quite likely that a scales (bodpod, underwater testing, etc) estimate would be higher than a calipers, measurement estimate for many people (maybe most).

I haven't used an Aria though. Mine is an older Tanata that cannot link to anything. When I put a weight on it, it weighs correctly if the weight is heavy enough (I think body scales often have a minimum weight they can work with). In addition to placement of the scale, how you stand can make a difference. I try to stand with excellent posture and with my weight evenly between the two feet. Then I wait a little while for it to settle. Also with the body fat scales where you put your hands can make a difference. When I stand with my hands touching my hips/thighs it will give a lower body fat percent--because then my hands are factored in. So I try to hold above waist height to be consistent. Weighing at different times a day (after you wake up) will result in different weights especially if wearing clothes vs. not wearing clothes. Other than the weight of the clothes, people can vary in weight 5 pounds or so throughout the day depending how much fluid and food is in you.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I got a Withings scale, which I like very much, but the BF% estimator is also wrong-wrong-wrong: it's been telling me my BF% is 34% (started at 36%, worked its way down). I did a hydrostatic weighing, turns out it's 30%.

The scale also tells me when it's going to rain, which is an interesting feature.
  • maxim1
    maxim1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am really happy with the Seca scales, they have a spirit level inbuilt to make sure the surface you use them on is flat, if not you can adjust the feet to compensate.

I bought callipers to measure body fat, but i think it will be some time before i need to use them, thanks for all the feed back , made some interesting reading.
  • faiora
    faiora Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I get DXA scans done for an accurate body fat percent reading. DXA is now considered the gold standard, but it is expensive to get scans done so I only go about every 4 months. The water tank is pretty good too, but the calipers aren't great for home use because you need someone experienced to do an accurate reading. The electronic scales are a joke, and are easily thrown off by hydration levels and other factors.

I'm not sure it's necessary to get your body fat checked more than once every couple of months, though. I mean, it's good to make sure you're losing mostly fat and not too much lean mass, but if you're eating enough protein and you're reasonably active (and not losing weight super fast), you're unlikely to lose too much lean mass. Men in particular have an easier time keeping their lean mass when losing weight, as testosterone plays a part. Anyway, point is, you could just go to the gym and get the fat pinch test done a couple times a year, and weigh yourself on a regular scale at home to estimate progress. There's the added benefit of going to the gym because they'll usually use the calipers as part of a larger fitness evaluation, so if you've been stretching and doing cardio and such, you'll find out how your abilities have improved along with your body fat percentage.

I'm not even bothering to weigh myself regularly... just rewarding myself for logging calories regularly and keeping on track. Then every 4 months at my DXA scan I can see if I've lost the ~10-12 pounds of fat I'm expecting to lose (I'm going at a pretty slow rate, 3 lbs per month).