Heartburn

Options
UGH

Had to leave hot yoga early because of EFFING heartburn. Usually it doesn’t come up, if at all, until the floor series, but today it hit me right when we did hands-to-feet.

This keeps on happening, and I don’t understand! I’m eating 4 hours before class; that should be plenty of time to digest…

I mean, I know that our bodies create bile to digest fat, but I don’t even eat that much fat! Maybe it’s the kale chips… but that’s like 7 grams per serving. Can even 7 grams of fat cause indigestion 4 hours later during poses that turn you upside down? I know fat is the last macronutrient to leave the stomach… maybe I should just eat more fat in the morning or something. I dunno. Ugh diet can be confusing sometimes. Especially when you were horrifyingly bulimic for 9 years of your life, which I should probably mention. Haven't had an episode in a year though.
Today was a TOTAL self-care day. Even though I worked.
For breakfast I had a smoothie with raw vegan protein powder, a banana, blueberries, strawberries, almond milk, and maca powder. I also had a small cup of organic coffee. Oh, and carrots with raw hummus, and leftover chocolate kale chip crumbs.
For lunch I had a salad with massaged kale, arugula, lentils, purple cabbage, zucchini, beets, black beans, and jicama root with a touch of Italian dressing, salt, and pepper.
Then for a snack I had a 100 calorie-pack of cheezy kale chips.
I also drank a liter and a half of water throughout the day, as well as a bottle of multi-green kombucha.
I also took calcium, magnesium, and zinc, vitamin B-complex, hair, skin, and nails, and vitamin D supplements.
Then I had an energetic therapeutic massage, thinking that would complement my yoga practice. I even drank apple cider vinegar prior to yoga to prevent this heartburn trend my body seems to be consistently following.
Am I missing something? I don't see how that can be possible!

Anybody have any tips? I just went fully vegan a couple of months ago. I never had this problem as badly as I do now. Am I just too much of a health freak and having an adverse reaction to being overly healthy? Or are all the plant-based products I'm consuming causing my digestive system to weaken even more?

Maybe I’m just overthinking it and my body is having a slow digestion day. I'm a Virgo so I do tend to dwell on this kind of ****. Blegh. C’mon body.

Replies

• stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Especially when you were horrifyingly bulimic for 9 years of your life, which I should probably mention. Haven't had an episode in a year though.

There's your answer.
    I hope it goes away for you, for me it comes and goes... Moreso when I haven't purged in a long time.
  • Journey0912
    Journey0912 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am not a medication kind of person but I have had to go on a prescription drug because my body produces too much acid. Not sure if this is a hereditary thing or not but both of my parents and my one sibling have had the same issue.The medication I take shuts off the pumps in the stomach that are producing all this acid.

It didn't matter what I ate or drank, I would have severe pain to the point that I didn't want to eat anything at all and all I would drink was water. The pain was so bad in my chest and in my throat. It got so bad that I ended up in the ER b/c my family members thought I was having a heart attack! They checked out my heart and that was not the issue.

I had an endoscopy just to make sure there was no other issues or damage etc. and all was well there. I take one pill every morning and have had no further issues with heartburn. I suffered for a long, long time with this problem b/c I didn't want to take medication and I was afraid to have the procedure b/c of the anesthesia and the fear of what they might find. Sometimes things are just out of our control.But it all worked out and I am grateful now for that little pill every morning.

Oh, and if I forget to take the pill in the morning, I know it as soon as I eat something because the heartburn is back. I always carry a spare pill with me so that if I forget to take it at the house I have one on me at all times.

I wish you well.
  • tanek747
    tanek747 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Interesting I had chronic acid heartburn and took medication for some time at various weights while having a standard diet. When we first went vegan we tried full on: raw vegan, no gluten, no coffee, no alcohol, no cooking oils, no processed stuff, no supplements. Acid went immediately and permanently. We've since put everything vegan we had excluded back into our diet except cooking oils, no acid still with the much broader vegan lifestyle now. We're still not typically very processed though and rarely supplement.