Almond Milk vs. Cow's Milk vs. Soy Milk vs. Rice Milk

Options
adjadj83
adjadj83 Posts: 41 Member
edited October 2014 in Social Groups
I have been off Cow's milk for many years. My niece and I got sick from a bacteria that was in a batch of milk. I'm also concerned about the hormones they shoot the cattle with. I tried Soy milk then found out about GMOs and the corporate greed putting small farmers out of business. So, I started spending tons of money buying Almond Milk. One day I actually read the carton and saw that there was only 1 gram of protein in 8 oz of the milk. That made no sense. I have never tried Rice milk because I stopped eating rice. But, I'll look into it.

I make my own Almond Milk.
Adj's Almond Milk

1 cup (5.0 oz.), Raw Almonds (Soaked)

3 cups (24.0 oz), Water

Put on high speed in blender until white and frothy. No need to strain if using in smoothies. If you plan to drink it or use like milk use a cheese cloth and strain. Straining will reduce fiber and the protein. FYI: Soaking nuts does not reduce the fat content. Almonds have heart healthy fat which also are filling and satisfying when on a calorie controlled program. I do not put anything into my almond milk but you can add a dash of Himalayan salt, teaspoon of sweetener or vanilla if you like.

Nutrition Facts
Servings 4.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 200
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 18 g 18 %
Saturated Fat 1 g 1 %
Monounsaturated Fat 11 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
Sodium 0 mg 0 %
Potassium 250 mg 250 %
Total Carbohydrate 8 g 8 %
Dietary Fiber 4 g 4 %
Sugars 1 g
Protein 8 g 8 %
Vitamin A 0 %
Vitamin C 0 %
Calcium 10 %
Iron 8 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

e1cjbt8jj6rh.jpg

Replies

• jfmp
    jfmp Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I like making my milk with cashews because it comes out smoother. I also add a little sea salt, vanilla, and agave nectar (or sweetener).
  • RussticBat
    RussticBat Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow! I didn't realize this would be so easy to make on your own. When I hear the phrase "almond milk" I imagine a whole process of chemical reactions and processing that would have to happen. I'm guessing people have been doing this for forever and now calling it milk makes it a marketable competitor for cow's milk.

My question is about shelf life. How long do you think I would keep in the fridge?
  • jfmp
    jfmp Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    They keep for about 4 days, but I have frozen some batches (nothing tricky) and that has worked out fine for me.
  • adjadj83
    Options
    I usually use it up in four days. I have also made almond-hemp seed milk, walnut-pumpkin seed and almond-brazil nut milk. All were good!
  • adjadj83
    Options
    jfmp wrote: »
    I like making my milk with cashews because it comes out smoother. I also add a little sea salt, vanilla, and agave nectar (or sweetener).

When I'm in a hurry I make cashew milk because it is quick and doesn't require straining. I make a cashew latte with coffee and cashews. I buy raw almonds in bulk and get a good deal.