Dull heel ache?

Options
AsellusReborn
AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
So, I ran my first marathon last week (Chicago!) slowly, at my husband's pace. We had a great time.

I don't know if it's related or not, but two days later I noticed when I whacked my heel on the spoke of my chair that I have a dull ache in my left heel. It is not worse when I run or don't run, it isn't worse in the morning or at night or after being on my feet or keeping my feet up, it doesn't get worse or better when I stretch my foot or my calf...it's just kind of a dull ache in about the mid-right bottom of my left heel.

My first thought was panic that it might be PF but I am, after a lot of reading, fairly sure that isn't the case. If nothing else, I supinate rather than overpronate and from what I read that makes PF unlikely based on how the injury typically happens.

I kind of think either all the time on my feet might have given me a deep bruise - I was very tired since we were out there so long and was heel striking at the end - or I may have just whapped my foot wrong on my chair on Tuesday. Or I may just be foot sore from spending 6 hours running with him!

Anyone have any ideas? If it were you would you be resting? It's not severe pain, by any means, and a large part of me says I am being exceptionally paranoid because there's a 50k I want to do in two weeks and this is just me worrying. But, I figured I'd check and make sure this isn't something horrific that all the cool kids know about and I don't.

Thanks!

Replies

• sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I was able (I am pretty sure) to self-diagnose a heel pain that didn't match PF symptoms by googling. ;) There are a couple of injuries that often get mislabeled PF - I was dealing with peroneal tendinopathy. This is a good place to start:

http://www.drpribut.com/sports/tendinopathy-zone-of-confusion.html

I took a few weeks and drastically cut mileage, but didn't rest completely, and it did wonders. If you have a 50k coming up that soon I would think about mostly resting and running a few short runs, but I defer to those with more experience on that question.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Yeah I spent a long time googling, but wasn't getting anywhere. I think I just bruised it. That or a stress fracture, but I think it's more likely just well and truly whacked. I have rested for a few days and am seeing how it goes.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Well the heel is fine today. -shrugs- I've been running the past couple days so I guess I'm ok.