Lady Beards

Options
Has anyone noticed a decrease in PCOS-related chin hairs as they've lost weight? This is my most annoying PCOS symptom. I've heard that weight loss can help, but just curious to know it's made a significant difference for anyone.

Replies

• courtneyh1083
    courtneyh1083 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No, :( I did start taking a new supplement that is supposed to help but I haven't noticed much of a difference. It's called inositol.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I did not notice any difference, it is one of the most frustrating things I agree. So many people don't understand that it is beyond our control. Even had someone once ask me if I was a hermafidate or a transgender because of the facial hair.......nothing like making you feel less like a woman
  • Michelle19573
    Michelle19573 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have to say facial hair was always one of my most distressing pcos symptoms too! I lost weight which didn't make any difference to it at all. Eventually over last 8 months I decided to try electrolysis I had heard so many mixed reports about it but I can honestly say it has made a huge difference and has totally boosted my confidence. Even though it is a lengthy process and can be expensive it has been so worthwhile for me :)
  • VaxSA
    VaxSA Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Mine is less coarse, if that makes any sense? I had the neck hair, and less hairs are coming through - but there is still about 70% (guesstimate) of the hair there, but most of them are not big black hairs anymore, just sort of light brown lady hairs. I am grateful for even this change.

Notably though, this coincided with my hormones being more regulated - I just ovulated for the first time in donkeys so there is definitely a correlation between the two, but I would say the hair only slows down once the other PCOS symptoms do a bit more of a runner.

I do take a pregnancy multi vitamin everyday (not pregnant) because I need to force my body to accept those hormones as daily requirements, and I take Vitex as well, which is a natural supplement to assist in hormone stability. I also take doctor prescribed metformin, and while I *know* it has helped me so much, I really, really hate it. It almost immobilizes me with the constant loo visits - if I worked this regime would not be possible, FYI.
  • iloveowls216
    Options
    My doctor gave me Spironolactone.

----Spironolactone is a drug used to treat excessive hair growth. Spironolactone antagonizes the male hormone (through the androgen receptor) at the skin level, directly stopping new hair growth. How this process works is not yet understood.
    Spironolactone is taken in doses ranging from 50 to 200 mg per day. The growth of extra hair happens over a long period of time. It usually takes at least six months before you can see the effects of spironolactone. You should understand that spironolactone only helps prevent new hairs from growing. It does not kill the hairs already present. After six months of using spironolactone, you may need to have any remaining hairs removed by electrolysis.----

Hope this helps.
  • aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've lost about10lbs and I swear mine are growing slower (maybe just wishful thinking and wanting some reinforcement?). I am also eating healthier in general for the most part which may be related to this too since I'm not flooding my body with extra sugar and toxins to fight off/try to balance. I recently started taking herbal supplements and am hoping that this will help too
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I wish it did. There's only two things for me that losing weight didn't help with- the severe fatigue and excess facial hair growth. I still have to pluck/shave/wax every day. It didn't stop/slow it down at all. As for all of my other symptoms- dark patches of skin, hair loss (on my head), absence of period/ovulation, hormonal imbalance(s), and skin tags. Now, I have been, and will most likely always been on my medications as well to treat PCOS (Metformin ER and Byetta). The medications, in conjunction with a weight loss of 180lbs hasn't stopped the hair growth, though. :(
  • fairie_marie
    Options
    The weight loss didn't slow it down, the Clomid did :( I really hate it
  • fayelobeck89
    fayelobeck89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Reading through all the comments and I can't say I can understand what it's like to have excess hair... like on the chin and neck and stuff because l don't.

I get it on my upper lip, my belly and my toes which are the most irritating places for me but I deal with this by plucking and shaving, what I do hate though, is how thick my hairs are and how quickly they grow back!
    I wonder if this is the same for anyone else?

Like, my hairs grow at super speed, except my head hair, which is forever shedding.
    I shave my legs, belly and toes and they all have stubble pretty much 12 hours later. I pluck my lip and eyebrows which do take a little while longer to grow back but not much, if I truley wanted to up keep my look I'd be having them waxed once a fortnight! But instead I just pluck when I find them.
    The hairs I have are dark too, like really dark and manly. I can't say loosing the weigh has changed that at all, but, it doesn't really bother me because it is all manageable and I dont take any supplements at all so I can't say if that would help. I know my information is probaby useless to you but I figured if we're all hairy, let's be hairy together lol
  • Venu5
    Venu5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, i haven't been on any med. But before, when i weighed around 10st, i just had the sideburns and a mini moustache that i bleached. But nkw at my current weight, around 16st, ive noticed tgat i have a monobrow, beard, and a major moustsche! I can no longer hide jt with bleach so i have to wax and pluck. I hhate being so hairy but i try nnot to think about it too much. I do believe tgat once i lose weight, the hair will go as well.
  • Venu5
    Venu5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sorry for spelling (dodgy tablet that skips half the letters and adds extra ones !)
  • knp519
    knp519 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    yep. hate it.