Exercise with Fibromyalgia

Options
Fibromyalgia sufferers: what kind of exercise do you do, and how much are you capable of? My limit seems to be around 30 minutes of cardio before I start getting too weak/shaky and nauseous to continue. I'd like to be able to do more, since I need to lose a lot of weight in a matter of months, and can't afford to take it easy. Do you push beyond your limits, and if so, what happens when you do? Right now I'm still feverish about 19 hours after the last time I exercised, and it was only half an hour... :( Muscle aches don't seem to worsen from using my elliptical and bike, but walking leaves me crippled for days.

Replies

• Saratini76
    Saratini76 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that you should try to push past the limits a little bit at a time. If 30 is your limit, try 35 next time. Baby steps is all we can do. Also, don't beat yourself up if you are having a flare and can't go at all. This illness of ours isn't a fair one. Also, weight training seems to help me a little. I seem to have less days that I end up confined to my bed. Another idea is to do rest a bit, like....go for 15 minutes, rest for 5, then go for the other 15 minutes. If at the end of that second 15 minutes you still feel okay...keep going! I hope this helps a little, I definitely understand what you are going through.

<3
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was only diagnosed in May and since I've been on anti-depressants to help me sleep, I've had more energy. I've never really hit a wall/limit - I just could never do anything once I got home from work (I work with behavioral students on the spectrum). Now that I'm sleeping better I can do more, but I still don't do a lot. Anyway I just wanted to preface my response :)

I like yoga! I have an app for my iPad called Daily Yoga. The sessions are short (10-30 minutes) and a lot of them are free. I spent $17.99 on a subscription and do programs - I'm currently doing a three week one. I also like to go for walks and on Fridays at work we take our kids hiking up to the top of a reservation. The hike (3 miles total) is the most strenuous thing I do. I like yoga best because it helps with my aches, but I still sweat and feel like I'm getting a good workout. When I did it consistently over the summer, I found it helped make going for long walks a little easier. I'm trying to build back up to that again.

Hope that helps a little!
  • lms0520
    lms0520 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've found Yoga to be very helpful for my Fibromyalgia, also. Some movements I've had to modify but I still get a good benefit from doing them.
  • Eaving1
    Eaving1 Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks for the responses :) I haven't tried yoga, since I know nothing about it, but it could be worth a shot! I'll try pushing for 5 minutes more each time I exercise, and see how that goes. In a perfect world, I'd like to be able to do an hour a day, but that'll only be possible while I'm not working (I work in childcare, so work wrecks me)
  • missbirrell
    Options
    The only thing I do is swimming.