Hashimoto's and Exercise

Options
RedBec7
RedBec7 Posts: 42 Member
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 3 years ago and have been on Amour Thyroid for most of that time. For the last 6 months I've been on 90 mg and have felt better overall than I have in 4 years. However it hasn't been perfect. I'll have about 5 weeks of feeling like a normal person (awesome!) and then I'll have mixed symptoms of hypo and hyper for about 5 weeks, then back to awesome again, then back to mixed symptoms. During the awesome time I've been losing weight. I've lost about 18 lbs counting calories. But when I have the mixed symptoms the weight loss stops. This last bout of not awesome has lasted nearly 2 months. I'm not doing anything differently, so what would cause this?

In the last 3 weeks I've been increasingly exhausted (thyroid tired, not regular tired) and feeling depressed. This coincides with starting to exercise again. I hadn't worked out since the first of the year because I was losing weight anyway and didn't want to mess with what was working. But I wanted to get back to it and did at the end of August. Now I'm so tired and brain foggy, I can barely function. Can exercise cause this? I'm only doing 30 minutes on my exercise bike every other day. Has anyone experienced this?

Replies

• desertcrafty
    desertcrafty Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have not experienced this, but I seem to remember somewhere that going bonkers with the exercise can be counter productive and that people who suffer from thyroid issues. But 30 mins every other day doesn't sound unreasonable. I think I saw it in this book http://www.amazon.com/The-Thyroid-Diet-Revolution-Metabolism/dp/0061987476
  • RedBec7
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I think I have that book. I'll check it out. I did read somewhere that exercise can cause issues but that was really extreme. I just totally crashed. I kept working out for 3 weeks then stopped. After stopping for a little over a week I was suddenly feeling very hyper - couldn't sleep, felt like I was vibrating, feeling nervous and anxious. I felt like that for a couple of week but feel more balanced now. I won't try working out again for a while and when I do I'll start out slowly.
  • vanessarose121
    vanessarose121 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you lift weights you wont lose pounds right away however you will lose inches. Just a thought.
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I think exercise certainly as an impact! In addition to hypothyroid, I also have adrenal fatigue. You might want to read up on that to see if you have any of those type of symptoms! I have to regulate and make sure I have down days and rest. Problem is that I don't always know I'm doing too much until it is too late! Stress also affects how I feel as well. So many factors, so much trial and error :)
  • RedBec7
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I have thought about strength training instead of cardio but I only have small hand weights at home right now and I cancelled my Y membership at the beginning of the year. I think for now I'm going to keep counting calories to lose weight. That was working for me at times when I felt normal and my thyroid wasn't flaring up. I'm feeling more normal right now so maybe I'll be able to lose now.

I have read a little about adrenal fatigue. I'll do more research on it. Another thing I'll have to teach my doctor about (sigh).

My head spins trying to keep track of all the factors that might be affecting my thyroid. I think though that there is only so much we can do. Things will keep fluctuating until my thyroid is completely dead.

• RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    There is a big debate among lots of groups on exercise with thyroid disease. Personally, I do cardio and crossfit. It doesn't make me feel worse at all. If my levels are off, I will feel worse when trying to exercise. It's allabout findign what works for you. I don't like to see people take someone as gold just because they read something about it on the internet. Exercise isn't bad for you, your body needs it.
  • RedBec7
    Options
    There is a big debate among lots of groups on exercise with thyroid disease. Personally, I do cardio and crossfit. It doesn't make me feel worse at all. If my levels are off, I will feel worse when trying to exercise. It's allabout findign what works for you. I don't like to see people take someone as gold just because they read something about it on the internet. Exercise isn't bad for you, your body needs it.

No one is saying that exercise is bad for you, but I had a severe negative reaction to it that went away when I stopped exercising. In the past I've been able to exercise and lose weight successfully and I would love to do so again. I'm glad it works for you. I posted to see if others have had the same problem.

And honestly, I would know nothing about what is going on with me if I didn't do research on the internet. My doctors have been little to no help.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease, meaning your body is attacking your thyroid gland. The thyroid usually responds to the attack by not producing enough hormones, but sometimes it overproduces instead.

It has nothing to do with exercise. Talk to your endocrinologist about checking your levels more often and adjusting your meds as needed.
  • vanessarose121
    vanessarose121 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I lift light weights and do cardio and it actually makes me feel better. The depression seems to fade some and my energy is better.
  • Caletara
    Caletara Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've found that i have trouble with really intense exercise--I get exhausted, the rest of the day is spent sleeping-- but I do cardio and weight lifting just fine. I've started power walking around the mall since (air conditioning, the A/C in my gym is terrible) and that way I'm not compelled to run and blow all my energy. Walking very fast works just fine for me and I'm losing weight.