What should be my target weight loss per week/ month with PCOS

Options
Sparklever
Sparklever Posts: 38 Member
All,

I really welcome advice and suggestions from people who have been losing weight with PCOS and Insulin resistance. I have made the below changes to my regime and still not having great results. I know I am turning healthy with these changes, but it would give me a good push if I saw some results.

I have had several roller coaster rides before with my weight loss journey and have been diagnosed with PCOS 7 years ago.. Not a new journey but I really want to make a difference this time around as I noticed I missed one or the other factor earlier..

Changes since Sep 10th 2014- so it has been about 6 weeks now
- Quit sugar
- Quit white foods (pasta, pizza, white bread)
- Quit canned foods
- No soda / processed juices
- No take aways/ eat outs
- Cook healthy foods with loads of veggies
- I am a vegetarian, so added vegan protein powders
- I have reduced carb intake and ensure I take it during the day. Dinners are usually no carbs.
- Most days my brekkie is green smoothies with protein powder
- Added iron & magnesium supplements
- Added probiotics and digestive enzymes as PCOS is basically metabolism disorder
- Tried metformin but I get severe moodswings (I get aggressive and violent!) so stopped it.., taking a substitute medicine as prescribed by naturopath
- I exercise regularly (atleast 6 days a week) and create a deficit of a minimum 700 calories per day for atleast 6 days a week.
- I tend to change my exercise regime so my body does not get used to the same routine.
- I eat a minimum of 1200 cals per day. Can't eat more as I feel very heavy and bloated if I do!
- I have a love hate relationship with lactose.., specifically when mixed with sugar.. eg icecreams and milkshakes.., so with my sugar gone, thats gone as well. I only take yogurt, light cheese (rarely) and buttermilk
- I also have quit certain forms of gluten - white foods, whole wheat. So I quit them. I can however tolerate multigrain, oats and barley.

I have lost about 4.5 pounds so far. With previous 2 weeks being useless literally as I gained a pound and lost one the next week.
I know I should focus on being consistent with my food and exercise and worry less about results. But, it is tough to not let this affect ..

Could you help me with the below please?
- any additional changes I need to make
- know what to expect in terms of my target weight loss per week if I stick to the changes as mentioned above. I want it to be achievable.., who does not want to see results?

Please feel free to add me so you can peek into my dairy.

I really really appreciate suggestions on this!!

Thanks Cysters!

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but from what you've described here, your diet sounds rather low in fat. That's not a good thing when you're also dropping carbs down. Make sure you're getting good fats in, so that you provide a good foundation for your hormones and nutrient absorption. Things like avocado, coconut oil, and butter are good base fats. Favor saturated and monounsaturated fats over polyunsaturated (seed and vegetable oils), as that's what our body works best on. Also, consider eating eggs if you don't already (and if you do, eat the yolks, too!). Eggs are full of great nutrients, such as choline and folate, that help and nourish the body. (Additionally, if you're vegetarian for health reasons, it might be a good idea to reconsider and at least add seafood. Fish and shellfish are great sources of things like iron, B12, and bioavailable magnesium (a lot of vegetable sources are also high in copper and phytates, which hinder magnesium absorption), and shellfish and bivalves in particular are concentrated sources of several nutrients, so a little of them go a long way.)

That said, a 4.5 pound loss, while certainly lower than what someone without PCOS would likely see with the same effort, is a good pace, especially if you look at it as 4 weeks, instead of 6. Weight loss isn't linear for anyone, so there will be times where you won't see a loss for a week, but then you might drop "extra" in a later week.

The only other big thing I'd recommend changing is to start lifting weights, if you have (or can get) access to them. If you can't, then start a progressive bodyweight strength training routine. StrongLifts, Starting Strength, and New Rules of Lifting are great weight lifting programs, and You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning are great bodyweight programs. A progressive strength training routine will help improve your hormones (progressive strength training, which is designed to be challenging, makes use of glycogen, and helps the body improve insulin sensitivity).

Complement that with some easy cardio (doesn't have to be strenuous, and when coupled with a challenging strength training routine, can actually be counterproductive). A brisk walk outside at lunch or in the evening is a good option. Try to make it outside, so you can get your best source of Vitamin D -- the sun.

You don't need to change your routine much, if at all, let alone on a daily or weekly basis, especially if you're focusing on progressive improvement (lifting more weight, working up to "full" push ups, going a little faster on the walk, etc). The body responds to the stress and intensity you give it. In fact, there's evidence that not only is the "muscle confusion" thing a myth, but can even be detrimental to the goal of "getting better." One analogy I saw was learning to play a musical instrument -- you don't do it by taking piano on Monday, clarinet on Wednesday, and trumpet on Friday, then do drums, trombone, and flute the next week. You pick one, maybe two, instruments, and practice them regularly. The same goes for exercising, and if you do something different every day or ever week, you can't even measure your progress in any meaningful way (ie - doing presses on a balance ball doesn't translate to push ups or bench presses). Pick a core thing (let's say the basic squat, press, deadlift lifting routine), and if you want, add in some accessory work to keep from getting bored (dips, curls, calf raises, etc).
  • Sparklever
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I can't see your diary, but from what you've described here, your diet sounds rather low in fat. That's not a good thing when you're also dropping carbs down. Make sure you're getting good fats in, so that you provide a good foundation for your hormones and nutrient absorption. Things like avocado, coconut oil, and butter are good base fats. Favor saturated and monounsaturated fats over polyunsaturated (seed and vegetable oils), as that's what our body works best on. Also, consider eating eggs if you don't already (and if you do, eat the yolks, too!). Eggs are full of great nutrients, such as choline and folate, that help and nourish the body. (Additionally, if you're vegetarian for health reasons, it might be a good idea to reconsider and at least add seafood. Fish and shellfish are great sources of things like iron, B12, and bioavailable magnesium (a lot of vegetable sources are also high in copper and phytates, which hinder magnesium absorption), and shellfish and bivalves in particular are concentrated sources of several nutrients, so a little of them go a long way.)

That said, a 4.5 pound loss, while certainly lower than what someone without PCOS would likely see with the same effort, is a good pace, especially if you look at it as 4 weeks, instead of 6. Weight loss isn't linear for anyone, so there will be times where you won't see a loss for a week, but then you might drop "extra" in a later week.

The only other big thing I'd recommend changing is to start lifting weights, if you have (or can get) access to them. If you can't, then start a progressive bodyweight strength training routine. StrongLifts, Starting Strength, and New Rules of Lifting are great weight lifting programs, and You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning are great bodyweight programs. A progressive strength training routine will help improve your hormones (progressive strength training, which is designed to be challenging, makes use of glycogen, and helps the body improve insulin sensitivity).

Complement that with some easy cardio (doesn't have to be strenuous, and when coupled with a challenging strength training routine, can actually be counterproductive). A brisk walk outside at lunch or in the evening is a good option. Try to make it outside, so you can get your best source of Vitamin D -- the sun.

You don't need to change your routine much, if at all, let alone on a daily or weekly basis, especially if you're focusing on progressive improvement (lifting more weight, working up to "full" push ups, going a little faster on the walk, etc). The body responds to the stress and intensity you give it. In fact, there's evidence that not only is the "muscle confusion" thing a myth, but can even be detrimental to the goal of "getting better." One analogy I saw was learning to play a musical instrument -- you don't do it by taking piano on Monday, clarinet on Wednesday, and trumpet on Friday, then do drums, trombone, and flute the next week. You pick one, maybe two, instruments, and practice them regularly. The same goes for exercising, and if you do something different every day or ever week, you can't even measure your progress in any meaningful way (ie - doing presses on a balance ball doesn't translate to push ups or bench presses). Pick a core thing (let's say the basic squat, press, deadlift lifting routine), and if you want, add in some accessory work to keep from getting bored (dips, curls, calf raises, etc).

Thanks so much for the valuable advice Dragonwolf! Really appreciate it - esp the workout bit.. the analogy really helped! I have sent you a FR.. Please add me.

Forgot to mention - I also take Fish oil supplement and take a tablespoon of coconut oil and eat half avocado everyday. I also eat a teaspoon of chiaseeds and flaxmeal daily. That covers the healthy fats bit.
    Seafood and eggs is really difficult for me. I have been a vegetarian since beginning and it would be tough for me to change that. The number of supplements is probably high for that reason. B12 - I get the injection once a year and my B12 levels are pretty normal.

After reading your message, I believe I will rethink my workout regime. I go to the gym, and take the group fitness classes. As of now I do two of these everyday :

- Spinning (my fav form of cardio)
    - Body Pump class - strength ( weights barbell lifting) (my fav form of weights)
    - Yoga (my fav form of mind - body blanace and also considering my cortisol levels were high sometime ago)

I also try a few new ones like body attack (aerobics), HIIT , circuit training but I think its prudent to stick to the three above.

Thanks a lot for sharing this -" StrongLifts, Starting Strength, and New Rules of Lifting are great weight lifting programs, and You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning are great bodyweight programs" I will definitely try these. I do not lift much and have just started body pump so the amount of weights I lift is too little. I can increase it progressively by following these programs.

I really appreciate your feedback!

• A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Spark, the think with PCOS is no one is the same. I'm glad to see you've been to a naturopath I'm having very good success with mine being able to treat my PCOS. What does your ND have you on? If you aren't responding well to the treatment you're on it might need to be tweaked. I understand how frustrating it is to be doing everything "right" and the scale not moving. I see your journal (since we're friends already) and you are working out insanely hard. As for the I can't possibly eat more than 1200 cals, bit...I know where you're coming from. Years of eating less while gaining weight makes it hard to eat much more than that, psychologically as well as physiology. Since I am responding well to the treatment my ND has me on I've been trying to gradually up my calorie intake, but some days I fall way short, and I know it will be a long term process.

If you look at my friends "Storknursekelly" is a Low Carb Vegetarian. You might want to touch base with her to see if she has any tips on implementation :smile:

As for a target weight loss, I think once you find a treatment that's working for you a normal 1 or so pound a week should be possible. For most of my life I was able to "treat" my PCOS with just a low carb diet but the last few years I've had a few other complications that needed to be solved before I was able to start losing weight again. If you haven't had a full panel of blood work lately to rule out something else complicating things, I certainly would check that out as well.

Best of luck!
  • Sparklever
    Options
    Hey Dab! Thanks heaps friendsy for this.. Really helps..
    I did not know you are in the same boat! It has been a month since I have started with the naturopath.. She has put me on Glucobalance (Mediherb) similar to Metformin and also a liquid (mixture of 3 herbs with predominantly Schisandra - for thickened endometrium) . I have an appointment with her in a couple of weeks so I will report the concerns and check if there is a tweak required..

Thanks heaps for letting me know of your friend having success with Low carb veg diet. I will reach out to her for sure!

I have had my blood work done recently (just before I saw the Naturopath) and everything seems normal. Well, even my hormones! The issues- cysts in the one ovary, thickened endometrium and scanty periods.

I know I should give it time and not be obsessed with results. :smile:

Good luck to you too Dab!

XX