Winter Running Shoes

beeblebrox82
beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
SORRY TO BRING IT UP...

Winter is coming for us northerners... curious what y'all use to combat the icy roads? Last winter I just ran in my Brooks Ghosts and they did ok, but it got a little slippy and they don't really protect from the water too well. Curious to hear what you run in, trail shoes? GTX versions of your favorite trainer? Do tell! Treadmills FTL!

Replies

• saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    I keep an old pair of shoes and put screws in the bottom for ice. Works like a charm. I hate treadmils and yak traks! http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    saskie78 wrote: »
    I keep an old pair of shoes and put screws in the bottom for ice. Works like a charm. I hate treadmils and yak traks! http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

+ 1 for screw shoes! Work like a charm, and cheap!
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    saskie78 wrote: »

i did this last year as well. works great.

• DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    I like the idea of screw shoes, but in Oklahoma we've had fairly mild winters. I would hate to thru the hassle of doing it for maybe a couple of runs. So Yak Traks for me. If we had more snow/ice to deal with, I would certainly opt for the screws. Unless you have enough money to just buy an extra pair of shoes you dedicate only to this purpose.
  • beeblebrox82
    edited October 2014
    well no kidding! My pair of Ghost 6s with 600 miles on them might be getting some shiny new outsoles! Maybe I'll try to hit em with some spray on water proofing too.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    I'm just glad you're out there all winter. I actually like running in really cold weather. The runs are so peaceful since the casual jogger/cyclist/pedestrian can't be bothered with bundling up and going outside except to go to their heated car en route to a climate controlled gym. When I do see another runner, especially when it's particularly nasty, I always wave like a goofball.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    I wear the Brooks Adrenaline with Gortex lining. Great for trails. I've tried the yak traks and hated them. Maybe this year I'll give the screws a try for the days I don't need the lining and am dealing more with ice.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Saucony just put out some weather-proofed Kinvaras. Haven't tried them out yet, but it'll be time soon. In the past, I've stuck yak-traks to the bottoms of my shoes and got some "thick" socks (aka: normal thickness; during the spring/summer/fall I wear super thin socks so regular socks feel thick to me). Also... dreadmills :( Sometimes a treadmill beats out my fear of slipping on ice.
  • beeblebrox82
    edited October 2014
    I'm just glad you're out there all winter. I actually like running in really cold weather. The runs are so peaceful since the casual jogger/cyclist/pedestrian can't be bothered with bundling up and going outside except to go to their heated car en route to a climate controlled gym. When I do see another runner, especially when it's particularly nasty, I always wave like a goofball.

hah yeah! I love running in the winter. LOVE. If the temp is above zero with the windchill, I'm outside.

59554h2y0hc3.jpg

@Tkillion810 and @Kristinegift I was wondering if anyone had any experience with those, I'm not too worried about the heat, I wear thicker socks in winter and have never been cold mostly wondering for the traction and water proofing. Sounds like good for trails, jury still out on icey/packed snow roads.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    trail shoes work fine for me - also it's not like buying special shoes just for ice if you also use them on trails.