Not eating enough

Options
I'm six weeks into VSG. I've been very sick lately. Headaches, nausea, weakness and dizziness. I spoke to my doctor and she said that I'm eating half the amount of food that I should be eating. I'm not sure how to eat that much. Fatty foods make me sick. I'm not sure how to get through more calories in with out making myself sick. Any advice?

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on getting all your protein in. Make sure everything is moist, dry food might feel like it's stuck. Make your own soups, stews, things like that because you can load up the protein and keep the calories and fat down. Get an unflavored protein powder and add it to anything that needs a protein boost. At your stage I was eating 6 small meals a day. I couldn't get all the calories in in just 3 meals. And don't hesitate to have a protein shake for a snack or 1/2 of one for a snack if you need to to get in all the protein and boost the calories.

Hang in there, it gets easier and better. It just takes time.
  • MistyHiker
    MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    Concentrate on getting all your protein in. Make sure everything is moist, dry food might feel like it's stuck. Make your own soups, stews, things like that because you can load up the protein and keep the calories and fat down. Get an unflavored protein powder and add it to anything that needs a protein boost. At your stage I was eating 6 small meals a day. I couldn't get all the calories in in just 3 meals. And don't hesitate to have a protein shake for a snack or 1/2 of one for a snack if you need to to get in all the protein and boost the calories.

Hang in there, it gets easier and better. It just takes time.

^^^ same thoughts here!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Add protein supplements as snacks. I sipped on Nectar protein iced tea all day for the first couple months. Skinny cow cheese is nice too. Kinda melts in your mouth. It's important to get your intake up both to support your nutritional needs today and to help you reset at a level that you can live with long term. You'll struggle less to maintain later if you eat a bit more today.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I added some unflavored protein powder to my broth and thinking it would melt (like making jello), all it did was clump up.
    I put it in the blender and it made the broth really frothy, which was fine till I took my 1st spoonful and gagged on it.
    The texture was so gritty I thought I was putting sand in my mouth, it was just gross!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    I added some unflavored protein powder to my broth and thinking it would melt (like making jello), all it did was clump up.
    I put it in the blender and it made the broth really frothy, which was fine till I took my 1st spoonful and gagged on it.
    The texture was so gritty I thought I was putting sand in my mouth, it was just gross!

I use Syntrax brand and it totally disolves with no gritty texture, even in cold things. So I'm thinking it was the brand/kind you used?
  • MistyHiker
    MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I use Syntrax brand and it totally disolves with no gritty texture, even in cold things. So I'm thinking it was the brand/kind you used?

Totally agree with this - I use Syntax unflavored and add it to almost anything liquid and so far have had no issues.
  • candicevaughn
    candicevaughn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been getting my protein in. But I'm still averaging between 600-700 calories. The doctor told me to eat 5 full meals a day. I've just started today. I feel like I'm in a constant state of putting food in my mouth.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    MistyHiker wrote: »

Totally agree with this - I use Syntax unflavored and add it to almost anything liquid and so far have had no issues.

Thanks Ladies!
    Is this something you can find locally or something that needs to be ordered?

• april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

It could also be the temperature of the broth when you put in the protein - if it's over 140 degrees it will clump for most brands. A trick is to mix your protein powder in a little bit of room temp water to dissolve it and then add it to broth (that is whatever temp you want). Hopefully that trick will allow you to use the protein powder you already have. :smile:
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ask for a script for Zofran. It will help with the nausea. I couldn't drink enough, so it was making me sick to my stomach at about the same point in me journey. I would get headaches and didn't want to eat because my stomach was sour. The zofran helped and I was back on track within days. Those first few months are so tricky. So many changes from going to liquids for a month then adding food back to your diet and your body is like...what are you doing? But it will level out, I promise. I am 9 months out and I have lost 86% of my excess body weight, so I am almost there! I have about 10 more pounds to go. At the rate I am going I am hoping to hit 100% by my one year mark. Hang in there! It will get better. And all of the advice and support on these boards is great!
  • dittybug2001
    Options
    I know how you feel about feeling like you are constantly putting food in your face. I feel the same way. I am 5 weeks post-op, but like I read I just couldn't get in what I needed in 3 meals. considering how little you can eat at a time. I am keeping my protein around 70 and my calories at 800. I usually start with a shake for breakfast on my way to work. 30 grams of protein and I try to not think about wanting to gag on it....lol
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Same here--I was going into starvation mode and the dr told me I needed to get 70 protein and 800 calories each day. Not to go up and down. When you go into starvation mode your body stores fat and nothing comes off on that scale! I do 6 small meals. Count those calories and that protein --you do not want your body to burn muscle rather than fat. Good luck on your journey, Donna