Looking for advice from GS veterans. . .

Options
I just had my sleeve done 09/11/14 and would love some insight. I have currently lost about 47 lbs, 22 or so of that is post surgery. My doctor said I should be loosing about a pound a day but I didn't even loose a whole pound last week. I am lucky if I get in 500 calories a day. I am trying to get in at least 60 grams of protein but it has been difficult. I don't know what to eat as my taste buds have changed and everything has taken on a new taste. Not much tastes enjoyable to me and I am tired of eating the same thing every day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am 3 years out an I have always lost slowly. Sorry to say that since you are so new, but some of us just do. I also stall often, but I've still managed to get 164 pounds off so far, so I'm not complaining. I have some limitation in exercise as well, so that may also be why I lose so slowly. But, to food. I cannot stress enough to follow your weight loss team's plan. You will see a huge variety here, each of us is doing something slightly different. That's why you need to follow your team's plan. You are still really early in the process, so don't stress too much if you are losing slower than you want to. Make sure to get your protein and water every day. Stay within calorie levels the nutritionist gives you and other than that, eat what you like. At your stage I was eating things like noodless lasagna, homemade chili and soups, and lean meat with some kind of broth to make it moist. Ground meats worked best back then, well still do really. I avoid processed food when at all possible and cook my own. I can control the amount of protein, fat, calories, and sodium that way. Also make sure to avoid constipation. That really makes the scale go slow.

Hang in there. You will hit your stride and find what works for you. Our journey's are similar, but not exactly the same. You just need to give yourself time to find what works best for you within the boundaries your WLS team set up for you.

Pat
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I stall from time to time, and the worst stall occurred during the couple of weeks immediately following VSG surgery, when I was on a liquid diet and eating the lowest amount of daily calories. Now that I eat more, I am losing weight slowly, but steadily.

We are all different. Your MD's goals for you are based on your circumstances. My MD has different goals for me, and different ways to measure them. So, listen to the MD and your nutritionist and you will do fine. That being said, 1 pound per day is quite a rate of weight loss, but may well make more sense given your circumstances.

The taste thing is a problem. Experimentation is the best cure. If you are on liquids and mush now, I would suggest adding flavored extracts or sugar-free coffee syrups to make what you are eating more appealing. Also, if you like peanut butter, consider trying PB2, which is a powdered, defatted peanut product - tastes like PB without the fat and extra calories, and adds protein to what you are drinking. I like it in shakes. Broths and popsicles were my saving grace early on post-op.

One really important thing is to make sure you are giving food a chance to taste good. Sounds stupid, but you have to train your brain to be satisfied with what you are putting into your mouth, by actively anticipating how delicious your food will be, and by thinking as you eat "this is amazing, yum, it is good for me, etc." Don't go into a tasting experience with a negative mindset. You have to treat yourself like a picky child, and encourage yourself to eat what you have prepared. Brain training works!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I know it can be hard when the dr. sets a bar and you feel like you are doing something wrong if you don't met it, but seriously 22 pounds in a month?-- when have you EVER lost that fast/consistently without being ravenous? Patience is the key. I am not exactly a vet--- I was sleeved 8.5 months ago. Early on, I was very focused on the numbers on the scale, but as time has passed I am learning that my body will NOT betray me. If I exercise, eat well and take care of myself the weight will come off.

I did not have a taste issue.... so I do not think I can help you much with that.

Best of luck and keep posting!! :)
  • Liongoddess
    Liongoddess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am at 7 months post-op. When I was a new post-op someone told me to just "trust the process." As some before me have already said, there will be times when you lose fast and times when you may not lose at all. As long as you are eating the way you should be and moving your body the weight will come off. I have to remind myself all the time to just "trust the process."
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Forget the low calories, just focus on the protein. Hitting protein goals and water goals make you lose wt faster. Keep tasting all sorts of proteins to see what is going to work for you. You are looking for functional, not fabulous. I don't eat fabulously delicious food anymore. Day in day out I choose to eat meals that I do not prefer. Case in point, if I eat at Wendy's I will get chili or a salad. This isn't remotely what I want to eat but this is what a thin person eats. Don't look to food for much in the way of enjoyment and it will get easier.
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Don't look to food for much in the way of enjoyment and it will get easier.

This is the smartest thing that I have read in weeks! I constantly have to remind myself that food is not a reward for being good but a way to keep my body going. It's so easy to forget that.
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are a great way to get in protein and vitamins. If you have a Tropical Smoothies Cafe near by stop in and get one with Splenda. My fave is Island Green. With splenda it is only a little over 200 calories, no fat and with a shot of protein you can sneak in over 20g a day! Tons of vitamins as well and it is 24 oz of fluids! Like another poster said, trust that the process will work, it does! Sometimes I feel like I wasn't eating enough but I was afraid to eat more, come to find out when I started eating more I lost more. Your body will change so much in the first few months but once you get to solids for a few months you'll be able to better gauge what how much to take in. Best of luck!