How do you mentally prepare yourself...

Options
toffee2013
toffee2013 Posts: 344 Member
...to take on a challenging wod, when you are completely and utterly sore? I completed a grueling wod yesterday and was proper aching in my shoulder, biceps...everywhere. Went in today and felt rather weak but managed to get through it all. I was literally doing my pull ups and was like, '' Hang on, my arms are like dead!''... but I just pushed ... no other choice! haha I'm in week 4 of CrossFit and it's already becoming an instinct to just get on with it. I fight with myself mentally though, telling myself I have to do it and then there's that small part of me that goes, I just haven't got the strength in me to carry on. I always end up getting through it though. I trained as a professional actress, so I tend to go into 'method acting mode' and try and use a thought, person, experience, to get me to pull out those last few reps or attack another set.

How about you guys?

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You'll learn that a good, proper warmup is usually enough to banish (or at least mitigate) the DOMS enough to get through the WOD.

That said, I'm 44. If I'm THAT sore and banged up, I rest. I generally don't do more than two days in a row, though today will be an exception to that rule (3rd straight day) because the WOD is up my alley (rowing, KB swings, jumprope)

Thursday will definitely be a rest day.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I trust and hope that the movements programmed on the next day will be different enough so as not to overburden sore muscles worked the previous day. Typically my soreness improves when I work out. If I need to, I modify or reduce the intensity of the workout if I am sore.
  • toffee2013
    Options
    I do three days a week, in a row. I went lighter on the weights today though, so guess that was my adaption. My shoulders and collar bone are bruised lol and my thighs... I do bruise easy though. It amazes me how these athletes have smooth skin!
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    toffee2013 , is there any way you can do 3 non-consecutive days? I am willing to bet you will see better results if you can fit a recovery day in there.
  • toffee2013
    Options
    My daughter goes to nursery from mon - weds, so only time I can go and membership is three times a week.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Gotta do what you gotta do. I think you're making the right adaption. At some point you'll feel good with more weight, just give it time.

I don't bruise much but I scrape my shins/knees all the time doing bar work, especially deadlift. And I don't usually realize it until i soap it up in the shower.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately our programming is the same Mon & Tues and a new one on Wed & Thurs with a longer one on Fri & Sat. So If i'm feeling sore from Monday then generally Tuesday's I'm a bit slower if I'm feeling sore from the previous day.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    As I moved into my 40's, I have found that mixing in days of "other" forms of cardio has helped my sore muscles and renewed my endurance for CrossFit. The other types of cardio that I have been doing are: Swimming; Spinning; Yoga, including Bikram; and some light running. I still get to CrossFit 3x week and if I'm just feeling sore or tired, I stretch more and scale my weights for the WODs.