Brits - it's cold! What are you wearing out for your runs?

Options
queenmedusa
queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
OK so this sudden turn in the weather has made this newbie runner stay indoors. I'm looking for a waterproof jacket to keep me warm and dry-ish while I'm out. My arms get really cold without sleeves and I'm a bit of a wuss where the rain is concerned (my one rainy-day run resulted in me spending the rest of the day sneezing!) Jackets seem to range from expensive to eye-wateringly expensive. Any suggestions?

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I asked this question the other day and got two responses one was for Under Amour Storm and the other Marmont gear. Both folks said they were good for warmth and water resistant.
  • queenmedusa
    Options
    Thank you! Haven't seen either when I've been looking online. Will see what I can find.
  • queenmedusa
    Options
    Under Armour looks good but can't see anything for women. May have to buy a mans jacket!
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Check here:

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/womens/apparel/warm-ups

You might find what you like there and then find it cheaper on another site that isn't theirs.
  • queenmedusa
    Options
    Thanks. It's getting it in the UK that seems to be the issue. I could find stuff on eBay but the shipping to the UK drive the price right up. Have ordered an Under Armour jacket with a hood, looks great and not hideously priced from a company called Achilles Heel. Thank you for your help, I look forward to my delivery!!!
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    You're welcome, let me know how it works out.
  • queenmedusa
    Options
    Forgot to update this one but maybe you saw on the running challenge thread. The jacket is brilliant so far. Warm enough to keep the chill off without being too hot, ran through a rain storm and the hood stayed up and I stayed dry. It has long enough sleeves (with thumb holes) and a long back to keep the wind out. I love it!
  • KnickersInATwist
    KnickersInATwist Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I got an under armour jacket from TKMAXX the other day, I agree that it's absolutely brilliant. Definitely stops me using the "it's too cold excuse" now if only I could find something that would get rid of the "it's too dark" bail out I'd be set ;)
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I got an under armour jacket from TKMAXX the other day, I agree that it's absolutely brilliant. Definitely stops me using the "it's too cold excuse" now if only I could find something that would get rid of the "it's too dark" bail out I'd be set ;)
    Check out Knuckle Lights. They're $40 for 2 lights with high, low, or flashing settings. They fit over your hands or gloves and illuminate the path in front of you beautifully, as well as doubling as 'headlights' so oncoming traffic can see you.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Is there a shop that sells them (or something similar) in Europe?
    I just head a look at the Knuckle Lights website, and they sound awesome, but the shipping costs (in addition to the lights themselves) are quite high.
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I just head a look at the Knuckle Lights website, and they sound awesome, but the shipping costs (in addition to the lights themselves) are quite high.

They are expensive. Mine were a gift from my man, I have hard time parting with money even for purchases I need to make. I don't know of any another similar products & completely forgot the whole shipping thing. Silly oceans getting in the way of inexpensive worldwide travel.
    I've heard great things from my hiking friends about the black diamond headlamps.
    http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/headlamps-and-lanterns
    They can be pricey too, and once again I don't know if they're sold in Europe. Sorry.
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options

So, I'm not in Europe BUT! I use a light that was originally designed to fit on my bike handle bars.. Google search "Serfas Silicone USB bicycle head light" and you'll find something very similar to what I use - this easily slips around my finger and lights up my way, I don't have to physically be holding it as it just sits there (even with my running gloves on). Might be a good alternative for you as well. Keep in mind that bike lights come in a variety of brightness when you're purchasing if you're worried about how bright it might be.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, ToughMudderAddict! I'll look around for bike headlights then; I hadn't even considered that I could wear one of those on my hands.
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I run in a muddyfox cycling jacket :-) It was a gift but they are pretty reasonable at Sports direct. Wear long sleeve tech top underneath or sometimes a thin running fleece that I got years ago. Need to get a hi vis jacket for cycling now I've switched from MTB to road bike ( it's not use for bumping up and down kerbs so need to stay on the road) and some idiot tries to kill me nearly every time I go out!
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Also gloves and a hat! As a newbie runner myself I soon warm up after about 2 minutes and have been out in all weathers in the frozen north. It's fine and I admit to feeling a bit heroic going out in gale force winds and snow. Summer running is going to be boring :-)