Completed a half marathon.... Now what?

Options
OldNoobJohn
OldNoobJohn Posts: 24 Member
Over the course of 2014 I went from some occasional galloway 3/1 runs to running 3 days a week. I ran an 8k in the spring. (42:30) I lost 20 lbs. This fall I decided to try a half marathon.

I followed the Hal Higdon Novice I half marathon training plan almost exactly. For simplicity I ran 4 miles each day on Tues/Weds/Thurs, biked on Saturday, long run (as per plan) on Sundays. I changed his last 10 mile long run to a 6 figuring that last 10 wouldn't help me on race day. That training resulted in a 1/2 marathon time of 1:53:59.

At this point I have two questions. What would be a reasonable goal for a 1/2 marathon in April 2015? It seems like most non-novice plans require you to have some time goal in mind. Are there any rules-of-thumb on how much you can expect to improve in 6 months? Currently somewhere in the 8:30-8:45 range (depending on hills/weather/mood/etc..) feels like a good, sustainable long run pace. That's my long run pace, that's my race pace. :smile:

Second question... Is it crazy to contemplate a full marathon in Nov. 2015? I know most folks run a few years first but... I'm 47, marathon is on my "bucket list", and I ain't getting any younger. I've never run a marathon so whatever time I get will be a PR. My current thinking is I'll see how the April half marathon goes and then decide on the full marathon. Like I said initially, crazy?

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I tell you what worked for me. YMMV tho. I started running consistently one year ago from last weekend (treadmill first than slowly worked my way to outdoor road running). I decided to do my first 10K this past March and then my first HM at the end of April. It was tough but I enjoyed it enough to keep on going. My official time was 1:58:07 and was 217 overall and 25/63 in my age group (41-45). At that point, I had already been doing 15 mile long runs. For me, I decided why stop and started increasing my milage on my long runs then increased my weekly milage to support it. A year later from when I started, I already am able to run 60 miles per week with my longest long run to date is 22 miles. My first marathon is December 13th. Aprox 14 months from when I first started running. I also have a half coming up on November 8th which will be my official time trial. I am hoping to finish that half in 1:43-1:45. If so, then I should be more than capable of doing my full in at 3:45 or slightly better. I already did 20 miles last weekend in 2:49:53 which is an 8:29 pace.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Next November full? Sure. I'd take an April half double it and add 20min to it for a good pace, 30 if you want to be very conservative.

Your long run pace is not your race pace. Long run pace should be 00:45-1:30 slower than race (marathon) pace.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Next November full? Sure. I'd take an April half double it and add 20min to it for a good pace, 30 if you want to be very conservative.

Your long run pace is not your race pace. Long run pace should be 00:45-1:30 slower than race (marathon) pace.

I second this. Especially the double + 20-30 minutes for a first full. Double + 10 minutes is usually doable for people with LOTS of running experience and more than a few marathons under their belts.

And you should NEVER run more than 10-12 miles at marathon pace... Especially for a first full. Especially not every week. Slow and easy running is the best way to build endurance, and speed.

Advice: Don't try to make your own plan, especially not for your first marathon ... Find one and follow it (making changes is fine though).

Good luck :)
  • OldNoobJohn
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, folks. I have no intention of making my own plan. Just need to pick the right one. The one that will achieve my yet-to-be-defined goal without causing bodily damage. Tricky, eh?
  • OldNoobJohn
    Options
    BTW... I like the 2*1/2 marathon time + 20 formula. I'm an engineer. I like formulas.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    No advice, just wanted to say fantastic time for your half!!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    BTW... I like the 2*1/2 marathon time + 20 formula. I'm an engineer. I like formulas.

*side eye* What kind of engineer?
  • OldNoobJohn
    Options
    Electrical. Not that I use that these days. I write embedded firmware.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Electrical. Not that I use that these days. I write embedded firmware.

Hey, I'm an EE too! =]

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Electronic Systems Engineer here :) RADAR, satcomms, real time computing.

Though nowadays it's mainly Programme Management.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Electronic Systems Engineer here :) RADAR, satcomms, real time computing.

Though nowadays it's mainly Programme Management.

I design substations - mostly protection & control but I do some physical design - control houses, lighting systems, DC systems. Adding AC systems soon and ground grid design too I hope

• OldNoobJohn
    Options
    Setting a goal. So I bounced my question off an experienced runner down at "run club" last night. shhhhh don't talk about run club shhhh He said if I did 8:41/mile with no speed work I could probably train (with speed work) and do an 8:00 pace 1/2 marathon by April. hmmmmm This is what I mean by target setting. That strikes me as ambitious. I think a better goal might be an 8:20 pace by April. Baby steps! I don't have to decide until I officially start training in January so I'll keep running and pondering for now.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    IMO, I think it is a little early to establish a target "time". As your weekly mileage base increases, your fitness level and aerobic base will also improve -- making the faster paces feel easier. Also, all course elevation maps are not created equal..

If you're planning an April HM, I would recommend assessing your new fitness level around February/March to determine and dial in a new, realistic goal pace. The important thing is to train smart, avoid injury, and try to race the next HM faster than your previous (depending on the elevation profile).

And +1 to the marathon time formula.

HTH and good luck!

** Also an engineer (Electrical and Computer) :smiley:
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm WAY slower than you, but following a similar path as you...I started running in April, ran my first 5K in June, first 10K in August, and doing my first Half next month in November following Hal Higdon's Novice II (it was just easier to fit in with my schedule than Novice I)...I can't talk to you about pace really...I'm hoping to be under 2:40 in my Half next month...beyond that, I'm not really sure what to expect going forward...I will say that my 5K pace has decreased by almost 2 min/mile since June and my 10K pace, roughly, is about a minute faster than it was in August....

Anyhow, I am planning on doing my first full next October, with a Half planned in May and another in August...so, if I think *I* can do it, then I definitely think you can do it too :)