Yes I can squeeze out a few double unders!!

Options
toffee2013
toffee2013 Posts: 344 Member
Today is a great day! Ha! I'm sad I know but today I finally got about 8 double under's. I started CrossFit nearly 3 weeks ago and couldn't get even 1 double under. So I'm proud of my progress so far. Hopefully I'll get more as the days roll on. I have gone up to 45 kg on the back squat too, from 42kg last week. Slowly ,slowly. Anyway, just thought I'd share my news. God I need a life!

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    DU's in your first 3 weeks is amazing. Some people take 3 years.
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Well done!!!! I got my first few yesterday after 6 weeks,seven or eight but not in a row! And am hoping to back squat 40kg next time we do them. You are doing really well :)
  • BennettV72
    Options
    Wow! I'm envious. They're so hard!
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I can get 2, but not consistently. So no, I don't have them yet. It's a skill I really want to get down. Triple singles is getting really, REALLY old.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm actually starting over. Got to where I could string 2-3 together but got stuck there. Going back to basics mastering singles completely, then going to doubles.
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Very nice!
    Now you have to do double Dutch! J/K! :smile:

I have been doing CF for 4 months now and cannot do DU's in a row... but now can do 1..1..2..1..1..2.. can't wait until I can string them all together. Last Saturday I had to do 125 DU (5X25) :tired_face:

Keep up the good progress!

17424942.png
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yey! Thats great. Ive just started on single unders ;-)
  • toffee2013
    Options
    What's double dutch ?? hahaha I went in yesterday and got 4 in a row but then, only got 1 02 in a row... I got frustrated, so just hung up my rope lol Wish I had a garden to go practice in. I guess I could try at the park, when I take my daughter to the park. It's something I really want to get good at.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I still can't even do one. It's been 10 months.

NOT ONE!

Why are they so harrrdddd :(
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My double unders are more like "single, single, double, land on rope, repeat" Last week I strung 5 for the first time ever.
    I guess I'm lucky in that the first time I picked up a jump rope at CF I did singles in the workout and then tried a DU afterwards when I lot of people were trying to work on the skill and got one right away. I have a tendency to either donkey kick or move backwards across the floor as I am jumping, so those are the habits I'm trying to break right now.
  • Inkratlet
    Options
    What's the trick? Someone tell me. It's a timing thing for me I think. I jump higher and swing the rope faster but I always land just behind the rope or on top of it.
  • jedwards213
    jedwards213 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's going to sound counter intuitive but the best advice I ever got from our coach was "slow down". Most of the time, we're trying so hard to whip the rope/cable around so fast that our feet can't keep up. Next time you get a chance, watch someone who's proficient at DU's (like someone who can do 90 unbroken). Notice the "gallop"? It's nice and steady and slower than you think. You just have to find that rhythm.
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Also, looking at the really good people doing it, higher is not better always. Dont necessarily listen to me though as Im still mastering singles ;-)
  • jimvic37
    Options
    DU's in your first 3 weeks is amazing. Some people take 3 years.

How true I'm so impressed. I ONCE strung 14 together and it's been a wreck ever since. I've been CrossFitting for three years so how pathetic am I?

GOOD WORK!

• toffee2013
    Options
    Well i'm utter *kitten* now! I got 30 in a wod today but that wasn't in a row. I keep travelling backwards and apparently that's why im catching the rope.
  • Inkratlet
    Options
    I actually just got them this morning!

Thanks to this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7cpagB7WUg
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Did you notice the instructor in the video is using one of those metal ropes which are easy to move fast but wait until you hit yourself with that baby! If you are a married women and you go to the doctors he might be concerned with all the whip marks on your arms and legs... LOL! I had a whip mark last 3 weeks on one of my arms from a speed rope!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Aswesome achievement right there! I've only just started to master them and I've been trying for 2 years!
    I had one on one coaching from my coach and she put me in front of a mirror (never a good look) and it was clearly obviously where I was going wrong. I was donkey kicking (kicking my feet behind me) and my hands were straying very far away from my sides.
    So ... I've lengthened my rope slightly, practicing keeping my feet forward and jumping straight up, tucking in my arms tight against my sides and breathing .. breathing..
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I suck at DUs. My hands/arms always get too far from my side. One tip I got was to wrap one of the pullup bands around my upper body/biceps, therefore forcing my upper arms to stay against my side. It feels really awkward, but I think it's helping. A little. Maybe.
  • Inkratlet
    Options
    Mummyadams wrote: »
    Aswesome achievement right there! I've only just started to master them and I've been trying for 2 years!
    I had one on one coaching from my coach and she put me in front of a mirror (never a good look) and it was clearly obviously where I was going wrong. I was donkey kicking (kicking my feet behind me) and my hands were straying very far away from my sides.
    So ... I've lengthened my rope slightly, practicing keeping my feet forward and jumping straight up, tucking in my arms tight against my sides and breathing .. breathing..

That's a good point. I've noticed when practising them that if I'm tense I can't do any. As soon as I notice I'm tense and consciously relax - there they are.