doing better with emotional eating

brenn24179
brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
Someone ran into my car in Aug., geez the car place was suppose to fix my car in 2 days so I didn't get a rental and it took all week. I found myself stressed and wanted to pig out but I asked myself if I was hungry or it was emotional. I told myself to wait it out and am glad I did. Also same car got windshield broke from a rock on the way home from vacation. First thing I wanted to do was eat. I made myself aware and never stopped to do this before and it made me stop and think.

August was a stressful month. Hubby was suppose to get a new job and then his boss promises him a job and then backs out. Again, I was so angry and stressed and made myself not eat over this. I use to think this was the only way I could get thru rough stuff, food takes the edge off just like a drinker with his booze. Food is my drug. Well long story short hubby did get his job and I had not gained weight. This was a biggie for me. Did not realize I ate my feelings so. Yep, being aware has helped. It was like food was my only hope of getting thru this, crazy thinking but it was me. I can get thru stuff without drugs which is food for me.

Replies

• bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Congratulations! Awareness is a huge step-- good for you! I'm sorry to hear about your stressful times, but I'm happy to hear that you got through it yourself without the aid of comfort food. Are you doing anything in place of eating? Or just making a conscious effort to not eat when not hungry?

I like your new picture! Is that from your vacation?
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    yep, vacation time. Just making myself aware that I am not hungry, just emotions making me think I am hungry. If I do eat anything it is this yogurt and berries I am into now or munch on celery or pickles. I am just reminding myself food is like a drug and I don't need drugs to get thru this. Hope I can keep this up in the future

. I have a habit of turning to food for a long time now but I think being aware seems like most of it. I use to use food like It was my only chance of not falling apart. Last time I was sick I started chewing gum and that helped, it was a sore throat. I usually go for food thinking it will make me feel better, all it did was make me fat.
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Hi - sorry I haven't checked in for awhile. I'm back now. Sorry to hear you've been through a rough time. My car was rear ended by someone in August, so I know how frustrating that whole process is. I'm glad you handled it all so well, got to take a vacation and that everything worked out.

I totally understand about feeling like food is your only chance of not falling apart. I do the same thing, but don't control it as well as you do. Keep up the good work!