Protein powder for hot foods

Options
pcoppock
pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
As I get ready for surgery in 2 weeks I'm looking for all of the tools I'm going to need. I know that whey-based protein is the best form of protein powder, but it's not something that does well in hot foods like broth.

Any suggestions for unflavored or savory flavored protein supplements that will stand up to heat?

-Phill

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to use whey-isolate based protein powders. I'm not sure if there's a difference or not. I use Syntrax brand for both the unflavored and the flavored. I have added the unflavored to hot and cold things without issue. True, I add these things to slightly cooled portions, so something that's the right temp to eat or drink. I do like things hot rather than luke warm, and again, I've never had problems. In fact, just the other night I warmed some milk in the microwave and added a scoop of Cappiccino protein powder. Yum! The milk wasn't quite boiling and I did use a wisk to mix, but then I use a wisk to mix it into cold milk too.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    The HealthSmart brand sold at Nashua Nutrition (and under other names at other online stores) has lines of hot chocolate, cappuccino, and soup protein powders that are all formulated to work with hot liquids. The liquid can't actually be boiling but up to that heat, it mixes fine without clumping.
    nashuanutrition.com/store/hot-drinks/
    nashuanutrition.com/store/hot-soups/
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I <3 Nashua! They have FAB customer service. :)
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I found this code for $5 off at Nashua - OCT5B. I am going to try a few of the hot drinks and soups since the weather is cooling off!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I stole a page from Bikerchick and have been having a decaf coffee with a scoop of GNC protein mixed in. I pour the coffee directly from the Keurig into a tall glass and add the scoop of protein. The Chocolate and Chocolate Peanut Butter flavors dissolve very well with no clumping, but the Vanilla I just bought clumps immediately. Not sure why, but another data point.

Rob

63741332.png