High Intensity Training: From Running Shoes to CrossFit Shoes

Options
Emagineer
Emagineer Posts: 21
edited October 2014 in Social Groups
I have been doing CrossFit and other intense exercises for nearly two years with a Brooks running shoes. It's very comfortable because of it's thick padding although it's not a good fit for swift movements and burpees (too slippery).

Recently I thought I'd get myself a speciality shoes since I'm not doing any running. Today I got myself a Reebok CrossFit Nano 4.0 and tried my first exercise with it.

It hurts to jump with it, my legs feel like breaking! My legs never feel that much pain. I know I am used to the comfort of running shoes, but is it normal to feel this and is it safe?

I also don't get why it's best to use shoes with less cushion for intense exercises, can anyone please justify this for me?

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I still looking for a good CF shoe that will allow me to transition between 800 m runs and olympic lifting. I have recently started wearing my trail running shoes for box jumps and I feel much better than when I was using my Converse. My Converse were fine for everything else. I use Reebok CF lifters (not 2.0) for lifting but don't feel comfortable running in them. I just don't want to go with Nanos. I can't explain it, but I don't. Inov8s? But which ones? Still trying to decide after a few months. Good question, Emagineer!
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I dont know much about this but I do know that at my box, people wear lifting (?) shoes to do the Oly lifting at the start of the session then change for the WOD. If they dont need the shoes for lifting they just stay in their normal shoes,. say if we're doing handstand play etc. Lots of people have two sets of shoes depending on what we are doing. Hope this helps?!?!
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    For someone who is used to a very padded running shoe, it is always recommended to ease really slowly into a more minimalist style shoe.

I started off with lifting weights rather than crossfit, and the main concern there is that if you are going to do squats or deadlifts, you don't want a cushy shoe because it inhibits your ability for force production through your feet into the ground. Plus they just aren't as stable as the weight gets heavier. So really, I think that it would be better to phrase your statement as "it is best to use shoes with less cushion for heavy lifting." Because many CF workouts have heavy lifting in addition to other types of exercises, many trainees choose to wear minimalist shoes for everything.

I wear Oly shoes (Inov8) for squats and Olympic lifting or WODs involving only Oly + non-impact exercises, flats for heavy DLs, and minimalist cross trainers for general CF workouts. My shins do get sore when we do a lot of jumping. I don't like to run more than 800m in my minimal shoes and for something like Murph, I would probably want to put on running shoes for the 1 mile run portions.
  • Emagineer
    Options
    Thank you so much for the response, everyone! I decided to return the shoes and get a Nike Free 1.0 Cross Bionic, it is much more comfortable and better looking.
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options
    I do wear my oly shoes and then switch to other shoes for the WOD but I am at a loss for what shoes to wear in something like Nancy with 5 sets of 400 m runs and overhead squats or something with oly stuff and DU's/box jumps. I don't feel stable enough in running shoes and everything hurts for jumping in oly shoes (and I hate to ruin expensive lifters). Does a hybrid shoe do enough of either?
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    On WODs where running is the main component then I wear my running shoes. For everything else I just wear my Nanos.
  • kelly_e_montana
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Okay so I guess there just isn't anything that is a good fit for a WOD that has both oly and running in the WOD itself, not in the lifting before the WOD. This has helped me because then I don't see the point of Nanos at all if I own lifters.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    To the OP, you went from a shoe with a good amount of cushion to one with minimal cushioning, that's why your legs are a bit sore. I wouldn't be surprised if you see some gains in your lifting though. The cushioning in running shoes is NOT your friend when you lift. Try standing on a foam pad and doing squats. Your foot and ankle stability is awful.

I use a pair of New Balance Minimus shoes for most WODS. I'm still not entirely comfortable running in them but they work most of the time. I will do 400m repeats in them, but if we are doing 800m repeats I'll wear my Brooks Beasts and kick them on and off if necessary.

A large part of using minimal footware is making sure your running techniques is sound. If you are a heel striker (heel hits the ground first when you run) you will need to transition your self to more of a mid-foot or toe striker. There are plenty of good books out there that cover the techniques. I like The Cool Impossible by Eric Orton as he gives you some drills to do that will strengthen your feet and arches and help ease the transition.

Kelly, I used to do all my lifting barefoot or in Chucks before CF. When the WOD incorporates running and lifting I just wear the New Balance shoes and make due. Might have to drop weight a little bit, but not usually.

I've never done Nancy but I might have to, since it's one of the few Girls I could actually do. Much like you the pull ups are holding me back. Looks like you are fixing that pretty quickly though :)

• bostonwolf
    Options
    emma7437 wrote: »
    I dont know much about this but I do know that at my box, people wear lifting (?) shoes to do the Oly lifting at the start of the session then change for the WOD. If they dont need the shoes for lifting they just stay in their normal shoes,. say if we're doing handstand play etc. Lots of people have two sets of shoes depending on what we are doing. Hope this helps?!?!

There are days when I bring 3 sets of shoes. One to lift, one to WOD, one to run. I need a bigger gym bag.
  • okulyd
    okulyd Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I really like my New Balance WT10 Slip-On shoes. They have MT10s for men. They are slightly more cushioned than standard minimalist shoes but still have the low instep. I also have new balance minimalist shoes that I use for most WODs. When we do a long run we run on gravel so I use the WT10s or my running shoes for that.
  • Jelymu81
    Jelymu81 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is a great question, one I have been wondering about myself. I am winding down the last few months with my first pair of minimalists, which have been great, but as stated above, arent great for swift movements or burpees or anything to do with a wall walk or run. I have tried on some Nano's and dont think they're that comfortable and decided against buying them at the time. I see the 4.0's have been released and am wondering if those are better. Has anyone tried?
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    This may not work for everybody, but it has worked for me . . . I compete in triathlons and as a result do a lot of run training. (*BTW - CrossFit has helped me go faster and farther). Normally, I get a new pair of running shoes each year. What I have found is that the previous year's shoes have made excellent WOD shoes. Since we do minimal amount of running (.5 miles / set), the impact to my joints is minimal. However, for box-jumps, wall-balls and whatever olympic lifts in the WOD, they are perfect. Best part is that I'm saving money and already have a "broken-in" pair of shoes. **I still have a separate pair of Oly shoes for the strength/lift portion of the daily programing.
  • jgpea
    jgpea Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I crossfit in Nano 3.0, and the zero drop really helps with squats and lifts. I kept falling over or too far forward in squats.
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time with Nanos...Pulled my soleus twice and got plantar fasciitis (I'm sure it wasn't only from the Nanos). But, I have fitted inserts now and can wear my Nanos again without either problem. I wear OLYs when I lift heavy in a WOD. Otherwise, it's either my Nanos or my 'older' Adidas running shoes (similar thought to MDLNH), which tend to work as well as anything. If there is a WOD with heavy lifting and running, I will go with OLYs...my running is slow anyway, I can't get that much slower than I already am :) It's not comfortable, but I prefer to lift heavy with good form anytime over cardio.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I was having no end of knee trouble while running with my expensive Brooks and when I changed to my nano 3's all the pain dissapeared. so now I wear my nano's for everything which is great as I hated having to change my shoes while training.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    OP,

I don't like the nanos because they feel too hard on the bottom. I do like them if I know I'm not going to be doing and sprints, burpees, box jumps etc… because they are really sturdy! I ended up getting a pair of the sprints. They are AWESOME. They feel like pillows that are still sturdy enough to squat and do the oly lifts in. I customized mine on the Reebok website. LoveLoveLove them!
  • ascrit
    Options
    I just learned yesterday that Nike is getting into the CrossFit shoe game with the Metcon 1s. They are hot like fire and already sold out. As soon as Rouge Fitness gets some in I will probably buy a pair even though I got a new pair of Nano 4s for Christmas.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    We had a competition this summer that involved some sled pushes in our parking lot. The folks in Nanos could not get any traction and pretty much did not finish the WOD.

Those of us in minimalist shoes had no problems with it.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    We had a competition this summer that involved some sled pushes in our parking lot. The folks in Nanos could not get any traction and pretty much did not finish the WOD.

Those of us in minimalist shoes had no problems with it.
  • ascrit
    Options
    Are minimalist shoes the ones that look like feet gloves? Those are super creepy looking.